Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving Companies

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I'll be making a long distance move in the next 8 months and I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations for reliable moving companies? I'll be moving from the West to East Coast.

Or conversely, has anyone had a bad experience with a company that I should stay away from?

Thanks!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If they are in the States (and I am pretty sure they are) use Crown Relocations.

We moved from New Zealand to Norway (you almost can't get any further!) and used Crown. They were incredible and did everything, two big blokes came round, packed everything beautifully and off they went. They weren't the most expensive from all the quotes we got, and incredibly nothing was broken or damaged in any way. In a journey from one side of the planet to the other and with lots of fragile things (ornaments, electrical goods, crystal, even delicate plastic aircraft models) and everything was fine.

I'd recommend Crown to anybody planning a move, no matter how far.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
How funny, we too are gettin' the heck outa Dodge (L.A.) and back to the North East, hopefully by early next summer. Headin' home.

I've been lookin at a couple of options:

Do It Yourself - I've found Penske truck rental to be about HALF of what U-Haul is and, via internet opinions, to be considered much more reliable.

U-Pack Moving: Throught moving.com I found ABF which gives you a couple of options - A cube they drop off OR a portion of a trailer, both of which were around the same cost of the moving van, but without the cost of gas.

As I continue my research, if you'd like, I'll let you know what I find out. I'm hell with research!

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mr. Lucky for the info!

I have also thought about those cubes that one packs themselves and then the movers pick up. I had no idea where to look so thanks for the tip!

I have also heard better things about Penske versus UHaul and have also found that Penske's trucks are a better price.

I have done some research on the Better Business Bureau on-line about actual moving companies (it would be so much easier for me to have a company move all my stuff and then I can just drive my car with my cats!) and am thinking that is the way I am going to go.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Next to losing your job and a death in the family, moving is about the most traumatic thing that can happen to you. Get started packing as soon as possible, it's awful to be close to the deadline and not fully ready. Pack the heck out of damageable items, and label everything VERY clearly, including which room they should go in. Get plenty of references for your moving company, and even then, watch them lie a hawk. When you get to your new home, make sure you get yourself fully installed right away.
I wasn't able to do any of the things I mention above, and paid the price. Nothing damaged, luckily, but a few things lost, and a mountain of stuff in both the kitchen and living room that I STILL haven't unpacked, after 2 years !
And I only moved a mile and a half!
And, on behalf of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the New England States, Delaware, Maryland, the Carolinas, etc., welcome to our neck of the woods!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice, and the welcome! We've been in SoCal for over 12 years now and, quite honestly, I can't wait to get back! The past couple of trips kinda' cinched the deal for us - family, friends, fall... Oh, and a decent slice! Gotta' have priorities!

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
We moved from San Francisco Bay Area CA to Colbert County (Tuscumbia) Alabama about nine months ago. We used North American Van Lines and were very satisfied. We did do most of our own packing, although they furnished (and delivered as needed) all of the correct boxes and packing materials. Allow lots of time for that. We also used a lot of San Francisco Chronicle newspapers too, which are just as good as the plain newsprint the movers provide (for a charge). I will admit, it was rather expensive, but we moved LOTS of stuff, including 10 rooms(5 BRs) of furniture, tons of accessories. books and collectibles, largely of the golden era and even a 1905 Kranich and Bach 8 foot grand piano and the only thing that got broken were 2 crystal bobeshes on the dining room chandelier and a hinge on the piano. Funny thing is, that was an item they packed, not us. We did not move any kitchen appliances or washer/dryer. The total was about $21,000 not including shipping our 1977 Fiat Spyder which they arranged for. It didn't seem like a good idea to drive a 30 year old sports car 2600 miles in the middle of winter. We did drive the pickup and our regular car though, along with 2 black labs(Buddy and Beau) and 2 cats (Millie and Patches). Luckily, one of our sons and daughter in law accompanied us in their motor home so we would have a convenient place to stay nights. We only drove 500-600 miles a day, so it took about 5 or so days.

North American arrived at exactly the prescribed date in the morning and had everything unloaded and placed in our new home by the afternoon. Naturally, the next day, it all got moved around again. Until I went on strike. Also, be prepared for nothing to fit exactly as you planned or thought it would.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Thank you Bill Taylor for all the information. It is very helpful! I will keep North American Van Lines in mind as I research moving companies and begin to formulate my action plan!

I have already started organizing, packing and donating just so I won't end up with too much to do at the last minute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn