Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero- What I'd do Differently

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
OK, I've been living with my Brown FQHH Highwayman for a while now.
It's breaking in beautifully and looks great.
However, like everything, it isn't 100% perfect for me.
So, I've been thinking what I would do differently if I had it to do over again.
Here's my list:
- light weight leather or heavy corduroy (as Amanda suggested) on the bottom of the lining to prolong its life
- interior gun pocket and exterior chest pocket on opposite sides to reduce bulk in that area
- one piece back instead of the scalloped yoke; although I think the scalloped yoke looks great, I feel it right on my shoulder blades when sitting in my car which is slightly annoying
- slightly more taper from the armpits to the waist for a trimmer looking profile
These are all minor things. As the jacket stands right now, it's awesome. Just these few things would make it more suited to my quirks and tastes.
What would you change about your Aeros if you could do them over again?
Lenny

JanSolo

Practically Family
The leather kidney panel is always a good idea for a hip length jacket. The Cafe Racer has it and it can be realized on many other designs. It doesn't even have to be a special lightweight leather... just the stuff for the outer shell.

If I could order a couple of my jackets again I would always go for the olive drab sateen Gabardine (B10 cloth). It's as durable as heavy cotton drill but a much denser weave with a very smooth and soft surface. It's naturally showerproof (the fabric and its unique weave pattern were invented for the Trenchcoat) and it doesn't grip your sweater or shirt as cotton drill does. Plus I really like the colour which goes well with all types of leather Aero is offering.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
It hasn't been cold enough to wear my Highwayman but I'll bite ...

First, I would have avoided putting Scotch tape on my Highwayman's back in an attempt to measure the length. ;) lol

Second, I might have specified a warmer lining. I got brown alpaca wool but it's not as thick as I imagined it. I don't know if it will keep me warm enough during the cold winters here in PA.

I don't have any other regrets about my jacket beyond the above. I'm waiting on my Veste de Rallye, which has a different hide (medium weight HH instead of FQ) and cut (bi-swing back vs standard back) than the Highwayman. Maybe I'll have more to add after I get that one from Aero, which hopefully should be soon (ordered in June 2009).

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
First, I would have avoided putting Scotch tape on my Highwayman's back in an attempt to measure the length. ;) lol

Who would be silly enough to put scotch tape on a nice piece of leather? :rolleyes:
Lenny

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I have the LHB, and although the jacket is near perfect, in a perfect world I wish it had a leather kidney panel because I can see this part of the lining wearing through quickly. The only other thing I would like changed is the cut of the armholes. As they are now the arms are slightly limited when reaching up or out, but it's not bad enough to really bother me. If I ever ordered another Aero, though, I'd be on the horn to them to discuss arm-hole options.

Tommer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany