Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Camera Collection

Starius

Practically Family
I don't have the best camera collection out there, but I enjoy collecting them and so far my collection has come together rather inexpensively. (Technically, cheap or free.) They add to the atmosphere of my library room and I'm always on the lookout for more.

So, I thought I'd share my ever growing collection here. I'll edit my post later with specific camera info if people are curious but for now I'll keep it short and sweet.

Part 1: Cameras
kcameragroupht6.jpg

kcamera1yy1.jpg

I should point out that the Brownie Model 2A Pocket Camera in this photo was my great grandmother's camera which she got around 1913 - 1915. A great many pictures in the old family photo album were taken with that camera, possibly including 2 of my great grandfather that I showed in my introductory post.

kcamera2hv7.jpg

kcamera3rq6.jpg

kcamera4su8.jpg

mcameragroupxe0.jpg

mcamera1jv2.jpg

mcamera2wy9.jpg

mcamera3gp8.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Part 2: 8MM & 16MM
videogroupod6.jpg

video1dw6.jpg

video2fn1.jpg

video3md1.jpg

video4rj4.jpg

video5ce7.jpg

video6iz9.jpg

This is my great grandfather's 16MM film camera and collection of old family films. I rescued them from being thrown out when I was a kid.

Starius

Practically Family
Part 3: Flash Bulbs, Flash Cubes, and Misc.
flashgroupkm8.jpg

flash1od2.jpg

flash2bl6.jpg

flash3mg8.jpg

flash4sx2.jpg

Why do I keep old vacuum tubes with my camera stuff? I really don't know. Grouped together in a container, I think they make nice decorative pieces though.

Do you collect cameras too? I'd love to see what you have.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Great collection! Beautiful stuff! I recognize an awful lot of it, too.

I don't have any pictures on hand, but I have always been surrounded by cameras - my parents were pros with their own little commercial studio, my father having started in photography as a hobby in the 1930s, then doing it during his Air Corps service. So I grew up in the business, and was put to work in the darkroom as soon as I was tall enough to peer over a developing tray (circa 1963)!

And I still shoot with vintage film equipment, including my brace of Minox subminiatures, my parents' Nikon F2s, my own Olympus OM SLRs, etc. - and I still do b/w darkroom work. (I don't own a digital camera, although everyone around me - including my 88-year-old father - does, and I sometimes grab them for a shot or two!) We've also got 4x5 Graphics (not to mention larger view cameras) and 120 rollfilm Mamiyas and Yashicas that I could use if I ever get the urge. But frankly, after being proficient with the Minoxes, 35mm film seems big enough... (and unlike most amateurs who aspire to moving up to larger formats, I began as a pro using sheet film, and then worked my way down to the tiny Minox negative!)

We also have drawers and closets full of old cameras that people have given us over the years. Most don't work or take no-longer-made types of film, but many of them are lovely machines. Gorgeous early Polaroids and regular 8 cameras...

Anyway, it's always nice to see somebody else with respect for these marvels from the golden age of mechanical engineering!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
That's a nice collection! I have a collection of vintage cameras as well, but oddly enough, no photos of them. Well, except for one, that is. I have a photo of my Speed Graphic that is a joke shot. I got the handset from a field phone and set it on the camera, tucking the cord in the back to make a "1942 Camera Phone". I posted a photo of it on the vintage telephone thread, but I'll post it here so you won't have to search. Enjoy!

1942cameraphone.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
And I still shoot with vintage film equipment, including my brace of Minox subminiatures, my parents' Nikon F2s, my own Olympus OM SLRs, etc. - and I still do b/w darkroom work. (I don't own a digital camera, although everyone around me - including my 88-year-old father - does, and I sometimes grab them for a shot or two!) We've also got 4x5 Graphics (not to mention larger view cameras) and 120 rollfilm Mamiyas and Yashicas that I could use if I ever get the urge. But frankly, after being proficient with the Minoxes, 35mm film seems big enough... (and unlike most amateurs who aspire to moving up to larger formats, I began as a pro using sheet film, and then worked my way down to the tiny Minox negative!)

QUOTE]

Like you, I also shoot with vintage equipment. I do have a digital point and shoot by Vivitar, but I mostly shoot film when I need to make the picture count. My avatar photo was taken using a Canon AL-1 or AE-1P (I can't remember which, as I usually carry both on my aircraft shoots). I also use the 4x5 Speed Graphic on occasion (but not for aircraft photography) and during living history events (WWII era) I'll use my 1940 Argus C-3, a wartime Kodak RF35 or 1941 Argus AA.
That AA was given to my mother by my father right before Pearl Harbor.

Starius

Practically Family
Doctor Strange - Sounds like you have a wonderful collection. Your situation reminds me of one of my friends and former college roommate. His grandfather ran a camera shop in Missouri for decades and it was a Underwood typewriter shop before that. He's accumulated a nice collection himself as a result.

KilroyCD - I'd love to see what else you have! That picture is funny though. It reminds me of a recent episode of Flight of the Conchords where Brett made a camera phone by taping a camera to a cellphone.

I did do a little b&w darkroom stuff about 9 years ago but I'm afraid I'm all digital these days. I use a Nikon D100 with a AF-S Nikkor 24 - 120mm lens for pretty much everything now.

I admit that genuine film has a special quality that hasn't really been captured yet on the digital side and sometimes I do think it would be nice to do my own developing again someday... but it pretty much comes down to a matter of practicality for me now. My DSLR is just easier to work with, I have a lower overhead (only occasionally spending money on ink and photo paper), and a faster method of general photo production. I wouldn't say it's totally easier than the old traditional film method of photography, its just different.

I guess, for the time being, I'm satisfied to work with my digital SLR and just collect vintage cameras for my own enjoyment.

Of course, that being said... if I did come across a working medium format camera, I'd be very tempted to try it out. ;)

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Vintage Cameras

Starius,
That is a fantastic collection! I have alway admired vintage cameras, but I really do not need another hobby, (just ask my wife).

Kilroy, the 1942 cameraphone is always a laugh, I couldn't believe how many people ask "is that for real?" at Reading!

Here are my only vintage cameras. The two on the left are Kodak Baby Brownies. They were manufactured from July of 1934 until 1941. The one on the far left has an accessory portrait lens attachment. They use 127 film. It was a simple box camera for the public affordable even during the depression costing only $1.00. I have used both and they work as well as can be expected. Film is too costly for only 8 exposures per roll. The 35 MM on the right is my Kodak 35 from 1941. It is a civilian equivalent of the Army Signal Corp PH-324. This camera takes fantastic photos even without a range finder or using a light meter, guess and shoot and 90% of the time I am right. The only 35 I use now.
K.B.
vintagecameras.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon - You know... theres something about the Ansco packaging I've always liked. Maybe just because its bold and simplistic. Heh, is there a expiration date on that film? The Kodachrome-X film I have was best used by 1971...

Man, I'd love a Deardorff... maybe if I keep scavaging through those flea markets, I'll strike gold... maybe.

Mr. K.L.Bowers - Hah! I love those Baby Brownies! I've never seen those before. I definitely want one in my brownie collection now.

I've grown rather fond of the brownie series. They're like the VW of cameras... a reliable camera affordable by every person. (And, from a collector perspective, pretty easy to find.)

That 35MM of yours looks brand new, too. Excellent camera.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I don't like calling it a 'collection,' but I've just kept buying them over the years at yard sales and thrift stores (never on e-bay) because they were cheap. Now I use them as props for my caricatures...

speedgraphic100.jpg
[/IMG]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
1938 Voigtlander

I have only one antique camera. It's a Voigtlander Superb, bought by my dad in 1938. I just stumbled across the original bill of sale, from Willoughby Photo, in New York, in July 1938. It uses 120 film, and we have hundreds of pictures that were taken with it. It's a great personal treasure to me.
Front:
Voigtlanderfrontclose.jpg

Back, showing how you put in the film:
Voigtlanderbackclose.jpg

BTW, if anyone can tell me where I could find 120 film for this camera in the New York area, I'll be very grateful.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You're in luck: 120 film is the ONLY size of rollfilm that's still generally available. You'd be in trouble if it was 620, 127, 828, etc.

There is a substantial community of "medium format" camera (Rollei, Mamiya, Hasseblad, etc.) users out there, both professionals and serious amateurs, and so you'll find a full range of film types (color print, color slide, b/w - both conventional and C-41 [color print] process) from all the major manufacturers.

Any number of good dealers carry it, but since you're in NYC anyway, check out the impressive B&H Photo megastore on 9th & 33rd.

If the focusing, shutter, and aperture still work - and the camera is still light-tight - you should be able to get lovely results with it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I hope Willougby still carries it. I'd love to go in there with the camera and the original bill of sale and blow their minds.
I just called them. They don't carry it!!! The noive!

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
WOW everyones camera collection is awesome!!! I always wanted to collect old cameras and put them in a glass case in my house one day, should I ever have a house of my own.

M. Jeffroy

New in Town
cameras.jpg

Here are some favorites in my small collection. Two Rolleiflex Automats, the one on the right, however, is currently on the fritz; resting on the books is a Leica IIIa given to me by my aunt; perched on the film boxes is a Contax II, the least used of the group; lastly, a Super Ikonta B.

I find the greatest pleasure in shooting with the Rolleis, mainly because of the easy focusing and the ability to snap photos inconspicuously. The Leica comes in second with its compactness and terrific feel. I haven't used my Rolleiflex lately because I have been slow to replace its broken case strap.

Jeff

Starius

Practically Family
I love those Rolleiflex cameras Jeff. I hope to get one or two of those in my own collection sometime. Can't believe I didn't comment on that earlier.

Here is the latest edition to my family: A Bell & Howell Filmo Diplomat 16mm Film Projector

diplomat1ru1.jpg
diplomat2rl8.jpg

A nice companion piece for my 8mm Revere projector AND most importantly, a means to watch all the old 16mm family films I rescued from destruction several years ago.

Rhofal

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails