Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dream house

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful house! I love the zig-zag stone work on that hall, and the pink on green bathroom! It's wild! The bar, the elevator, the big windows. . . .

Lee

I could go on.

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
MrNewportCustom said:
Beautiful house! I love the zig-zag stone work on that hall, and the pink on green bathroom! It's wild! The bar, the elevator, the big windows.

Certainly a far cry from those aweful mini-mansions that I'm forced to look at here.

carter

I'll Lock Up
This house is AMAZING! I'm glad to read that it will survive. So many houses of historic interest are torn down in Dallas every year, so we can see another Country French inspired home, that it's maddening. We have quite a few surviving MCM homes but nothing this incredible. Thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
panamag8or said:
I saw this house a year or so ago, then the pics disappeared. The house was slated to be torn down, but apparently it has been saved, and now the pics are back. It is the coolest house ever, and if I ever get the chance, I would love to duplicate it.

Check out the bathroom!

http://tobybelt.blogspot.com/2006/06/sunset-hills-teardown.html

I am amazed at the tiling. I am blown away. I really believe that it would be hard to get that attention to detail nowadays.

panamag8or

Practically Family
carter said:
Check out the above thread from Fletch.
Do we need an architecture thread?

Apples and oranges... however, Fletch's thread is what made me visit the B.E.L.T. site, where I saw the pictures were back up. The owner of that site is interested in preserving older architecture, and I notified her of this issue. She may bring attention to it, or she may not, but I let her know.

I just hope Fletch's neighborhood has as good a result as this house did.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I am considering moving & I think I've found my dream home for rent. This is a lovely example of the Australian take on the Californian Bungalow. It was built in the early 20's, it's heritage listed & apart from a few flaws (bad interior paint scheme, new front door, new cistern & laundry tub) it's pretty much a time warp house. The bathroom & the kitchen are fabulous. All the light fittings and carpets are original, though the cabinets over the range in the kitchen were probably added in the 50's. Link to property listing is here
Here's a few pictures.
7931416_1_FS.JPG
7931416_5_FS.JPG
7931416_19_FS.JPG
7931416_24_FS.JPG
7931416_14_FS.JPG

Last edited:
I am considering moving & I think I've found my dream home for rent. This is a lovely example of the Australian take on the Californian Bungalow. It was built in the early 20's, it's heritage listed & apart from a few flaws (bad interior paint scheme, new front door, new cistern & laundry tub) it's pretty much a time warp house. The bathroom & the kitchen are fabulous. All the light fittings and carpets are original, though the cabinets over the range in the kitchen were probably added in the 50's. Link to property listing is here
Here's a few pictures.
7931416_1_FS.JPG
7931416_5_FS.JPG
7931416_19_FS.JPG
7931416_24_FS.JPG
7931416_14_FS.JPG

Exceptionally cool bathroom tile! That and the French doors make it a keeper. Atmosphere is a must and it definitely seems to have it. So cool that even as a rental it has been able to retain the charm of yesteryear.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Nifty! What's the deal with the floor in the room with the bay window -- is that tile or is it some kind of wood parquet?
I think it's the carpet. I've made an appointment with the agent to see the house, so I'll take a few pictures when I'm there. Did I mention the original copper is still in the laundry?
Thank goodness the house was heritage listed by the local council, homes like these need to be preserved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran