Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My early D pocket

John_Z

Familiar Face
342F3018-C7A9-4045-9A93-AC4199646B5C.jpeg
1CD31434-7242-496A-91B9-C744D55BCBE8.jpeg

Poetry made from leather. Beautiful.

Never imagined the jacket'd look so balanced with just the D-pocket but it has to be as big as it is for the whole thing to work so well.

John_Z

Familiar Face
Poetry made from leather. Beautiful.

Never imagined the jacket'd look so balanced with just the D-pocket but it has to be as big as it is for the whole thing to work so well.
Thanks. It works for me. I particularly like that it's early so still retains the civilian half belt feature before they evolved into the m/c jackets with the more usual back pattern.

I had it quite a number of years now and go through phases of wearing it and leaving it packed away.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Really very nice (that from not a fan of cross-zips). What brand and year is that? Can you post closeups of zipper pulls?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That looks great, i love these early D pockets, more of an Aviator than a MC look going on.
Could you post more pics? Would love to see grain close ups. What is the brand?

Has got to be a forerunner to the Sears Hercules and later on Oakbrook style. Tapering belt is also pure class.

John_Z

Familiar Face
Really very nice (that from not a fan of cross-zips). What brand and year is that? Can you post closeups of zipper pulls?
Thanks. It's a non-brand generic.

I was told by the women I bought it from that it came from the estate of a guy who'd reached his 90's and that he'd bought it in the 40's. I can't vouch for that but there are details that certainly make it early in the evolution of the motorcycle jacket. Note the forward facing sleeve zips. The HH is really nice and has stayed looking so much fresher than it's age.

The zips are all Conmar apart from the RH side of the main as viewed. The original had suffered from the usual worn tape alongside the feed in tag making it difficult to zip up. I replaced it last week. I'll take some pics of the pulls in daylight (it's dark here now in the UK) tomorrow and post them for you.

That looks great, i love these early D pockets, more of an Aviator than a MC look going on.
Could you post more pics? Would love to see grain close ups. What is the brand?
Thanks. More pics tomorrow. Re. brand - See above ^

John_Z

Familiar Face
Has got to be a forerunner to the Sears Hercules and later on Oakbrook style. Tapering belt is also pure class.
I've seen the odd few Sears variant. Looks exactly the same from the front. Has a green and black plaid wool lining and the back is missing the half belt.

It’s interesting how it has the half-belt in the back, and the attached waist belt in the front!
@Dinerman is selling an early Hercules model which has belt loops all the way around for a fully remove-able belt.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! Rich looking leather. Open it up and show that lining. Lining says 40s to me. Nylon was the standard by the early 50s.

The half-belt back is a nice touch and has an older look. Here is a Sears Hercules to compare.

to me looks like a Bay area jacket, high quality.

1cd31434-7242-496a-91b9-c744d55bcbe8-jpeg.224200

s-l1600.jpg

OtcpsUifivFl9x20lZsVqTBlQQ9UuwwBnCvmSHbqZni4CB8mVyxy5sl9Y_tL4rS38_kGfyKDYCBVww7q9Kcf4ZpR05RX4syQx0rE0mSkuItj8WGDZo6WUSQylNT5X6OSgkSjGuU_P6f8-1fkLFWakuiseOno6sO4stk4WO0Xc2yAIHvxB0Tf7UnbL03NrICNI-U-DohyiqdH5AR6k9il1YjUh1Wqe5RJ4l7vAFeybsiO-P6_c6iMMn5FZh-YU8PavUGFupPY3ZDgsf50ZXiaD_XLTnQc3rvqBxYQwc646-4lAM_OkeF2LFKDvwWuCU291lPhlc75wt8w3W4LIatwHeSszknyqojaqmXYmylzq8B3y_LodA4I9e3MRtv4Nd7ftZXudh0fd1oosvX-a3_8QZyASfZssnAELDyvsd74oP5sUEMlZ-YV4OSZY6g6qULRB8LhybJOsKfPTiYj2xJAW0faU2E8aQNIYlznok4NlVb38YMrnDH0hA7VT0JcaxNPtMI3EqpoAUBI5-R8M6kBg9BDnu2v9h8cOMRnrNLOAL0xM1LWlYJ7E8u27w-1GlYJxcJEiB0BANNf7DE9zSJQSi42H-w6EGblWZgv0C18g7C9gTJh0h2hn1YgEaNpU2h_I2_1P9RDbesWwBsZH3WvtT6kh_0BEOKv-QkHU5kPUKaH4RKZHB8jBVOskF2HcynucWYwWbtuQNA5xKpm1jW0asdBN5tBE5HUE9QvzWqyFFfs8ZfswSey9dw=w1009-h670-no

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've seen the odd few Sears variant. Looks exactly the same from the front. Has a green and black plaid wool lining and the back is missing the half belt

This is the earliest of Sears motorcycle jacket. Buffalo plaid lining with the late 40s Hercules logo. Looks to be the same Horsehide label as the op's jacket. I do not recall ever seeing this label on a Sears jacket. Note the sewn on pocket not seen on the 50s Hercules I posted above. The sleeve zippers appear to be on the top position. This jacket is currently on ebay with no back picture!

From the front the 40s Hercules look like the same jacket as the unlabeled jacket. I'll write the seller for a back pic.

Of course Sears was not a maker.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Kuro

Practically Family
You jacket is wonderful to see. Thank you for sharing. As others have said, the half belt back combined with the single D pocket and belt and epaulets scream special and technical.

P.S. And that lining!

John_Z

Familiar Face
This is the earliest of Sears motorcycle jacket. Buffalo plaid lining with the late 40s Hercules logo. Looks to be the same Horsehide label as the op's jacket. I do not recall ever seeing this label on a Sears jacket. Note the sewn on pocket not seen on the 50s Hercules I posted above. The sleeve zippers appear to be on the top position. This jacket is currently on ebay with no back picture!

From the front the 40s Hercules look like the same jacket as the unlabeled jacket. I'll write the seller for a back pic.

Of course Sears was not a maker.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
That’s the jacket I was referring to. Seen a few on eBay. Just noticed the belt doesn’t appear to be tapered like mine.

Last edited:

John_Z

Familiar Face
You jacket is wonderful to see. Thank you for sharing. As others have said, the half belt back combined with the single D pocket and belt and epaulets scream special and technical.

P.S. And that lining!
Thank you for the complimentary words

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB