Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Irvin

SPLINTER

New in Town
Hi Everyone
Well i finally gave into temptation and obtained my first irvin. After searching for several weeks i spotted one on ebay . Being a novice and having already been bitten once before i decided caution was the route to take and after asking Andrew aka aswadland for advice i went ahead with the purchase. Delivery was lightning fast and i must admit i'm very pleased . The jacket came with excellent provenance having belonged to Flt Lt Norman Carr 143 squadron coastal command.
Hope the images are ok and if anyone can make out the contract number i may find out the manufacturer
regards to everyone
IRVIN  1.jpg
IRVIN 2.jpg
IRVIN £.jpg
IRVIN 4.jpg
NORMAN CARR.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi Everyone
Well i finally gave into temptation and obtained my first irvin. After searching for several weeks i spotted one on ebay . Being a novice and having already been bitten once before i decided caution was the route to take and after asking Andrew aka aswadland for advice i went ahead with the purchase. Delivery was lightning fast and i must admit i'm very pleased . The jacket came with excellent provenance having belonged to Flt Lt Norman Carr 143 squadron coastal command.
Hope the images are ok and if anyone can make out the contract number i may find out the manufacturer
regards to everyone View attachment 76572 View attachment 76573 View attachment 76574 View attachment 76575 View attachment 76576

Welcome to the lounge, Splinter -and that's a grand entrance for a first post! That's a simply great first jacket and I'm glad it fits you so well ... but do treat it with the respect it deserves and wear it gently and not in any inclement weather! It's too special for that and that's where a good repro comes in ... but goodness me. Most of us have to save and work through a few jackets for years until we get to the top. And you started there! Methinks it's got a good home. Good on you.

SPLINTER

New in Town
Hi
Thank you for your reply
Yes its my first entry into Irvins ---That jacket wont be worn as it is also the provenance that goes with it that interests me. I've learned quite a bit about Norman Carr since i became interested in the jacket and started to research him. I have been burned in the past as the saying goes when looking for a jacket but a lesson learned. Before this i collected field jackets and Korean and vietnam issued parkas but my interest has changed more towards aviation recently. The jacket will be well looked after ---- well its lasted over 70 years and id hate to be the one ruin it lol

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, you made a grand entrance with that one. Rather than looking 70 years old, it looks as if it were issued last year. I would think the hide is strong enough for at least occasional wear (and probably much more) without doing damage, but then I know nothing of Irvins.

Welcome to the Lounge.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice indeed Richie. I am trying to ID your Irvin. The contract label is for Irvin trousers and it is a 1940 contract but the jacket dates from 1941. The last number on of the contract is really hard to read. Does it have large or small collar rings? Please can you post a picture of the underarm vents.

SPLINTER

New in Town
Very nice indeed Richie. I am trying to ID your Irvin. The contract label is for Irvin trousers and it is a 1940 contract but the jacket dates from 1941. The last number on of the contract is really hard to read. Does it have large or small collar rings? Please can you post a picture of the underarm vents.
IRVIN 5.jpg
IRVIN 6.jpg

Mark

Practically Family
I know little about Irvins but that looks in amazing condition for a 70 year old jacket. Good fit too.

SPLINTER

New in Town
Hello Andrew,
Now i know why they call you 'the oracle' can you please tell me what the significant features are that suggest D.G.L.

I appreciate all of the comments that people have made. I joined this forum to gain knowledge and i am grateful to everybody for there comments and help.
Regards,
Richie

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Andrew,
Now i know why they call you 'the oracle' can you please tell me what the significant features are that suggest D.G.L.

I appreciate all of the comments that people have made. I joined this forum to gain knowledge and i am grateful to everybody for there comments and help.
Regards,
Richie

The jacket has the square ended collar, darker seam tapes, which are typical of this maker and the contract was issued to DGL. I have seen earlier ones from the same contract (H.174372) which still had the maker's name on the label.

SPLINTER

New in Town
Hi
Thank you for the comment ,
I've since learnt alot more about Norman Carr ---- it appears he was quite a character. I emailed Andrew Bird , the author of " a seperate little war " and he replied telling me about his meetings with Norman and how when he first met him at a seminar about coastal command , he promptly whipped out his Irvin jacket to show him . It appears that he was a proud man and rightly so.

Carzee

New in Town
Hi Everyone
regards to everyone View attachment 76572 View attachment 76573 View attachment 76574 View attachment 76575 View attachment 76576
That’s my grandad! Awesome to see his jacket for the first time, especially in such good quality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner