Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Montecristi

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks to Robert and Art for this wonderful hat!

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5

This hat started life as an Indy Montecristi. I really liked the block that Modesto gave it in Ecuador, but that hat was too tall for my features, and seemed quite out of proportion. Art Fawcett worked his magic on it, installing a new sweatband and a beautiful charcoal ribbon, and reblocked it about a half inch lower to give it better proportion. As you can see, it provides plenty of shade!:cool:

Mucho thanks also to Art for his fantastic bleaching job. I wore the hat a few times before I shipped it to him, and the black dye from the leather that came on it leached through onto the hat's fibers where it was sewn on. In order to reblock it with a lower crown, the black spots had to come out, or else they would be visible around the brim. Art did some experimenting, and did such a great job on it that I really can't tell where the spots used to be!

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate it!

I'm all set for Washington, D.C. next week, and for many summers to come.

Brad Bowers

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Great Hat Brad and i know you'll feel like a million dollars when you wear it. I to think Art does a terffic job on blocking these Montecristi hats. We are lucky to have found Robert and Art.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Brad, that hat looks too smashing on you. I bet you can't wait or warmer weather.

Not sure how this old thread got dredged up, but thanks, guys! Actually, I'm enjoying the cold and wearing my vintage Borsalino, but that reminds me that I need to send my Montecristi off to Art for an annual cleaning before summer gets here.

Brad

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Dredge up?

Hey Brad: I thought the same thing! :) I just never realized Utah was on the Banana belt this time of the year eh! lol.

I saw this and said "Honey, we're headed to Utah" where there's sun and palm tree, swimmin pools and movie stars.

BTW...I love the hat. The lower crown and wide brim look very comfortable and relaxed but still classy.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Brad, old threads but still great hats. Looks great. Art is so creative on hats! I just saw a photo of Andykev's panamaBob hat blocked by art. VEry nice!

I am concerned about the bleeding from the hat though. You should have sent that hat back to PanamaBob and demanded a much better hat in return! There is no excuse for that. My experience so far is that PanamaBob cannot deliver to my expectations. And this does not encourage me.

Enjoy!

G

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Collins,

The bleeding through was from the leather...the leathersmith plain and simple lied. Brad was completely happy when all was said and done.

Bottom line for this blowhard Collins....Your hat will cost $1200.00 and you've chosen not to buy it.

Since I've just discovered that you've put down my wife and family I think you should not ever try to buy a hat from us...offer taken away.

Please try www.brentblack.com or www.montecristihats.com

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
G,

The hat as it came from Ecuador had a rudimentary sweatband from a new company that they were using. After I informed Robert, I doubt they're still using that company. As these hats were experimental, and at a very low price for the experiment, I didn't see any need to send it back to Robert if Art could "work his magic." The bleed-through would not have even been a problem if I hadn't wanted the crown lowered. We were informed by Robert that these crowns looked abnormally high, but that was part of the experiment. I decided I wanted a lower crown, so it was my choice to send it to Art. No buyer's remorse for me, as it was my responsibility, knowing the risks going in, that I might not like the experimental hat. I did not feel it was Robert's responsibility. However, because of the difference in materials that Modesto can get, and those we get here in the States, I still recommend that folks order these as hat bodies, and have them blocked and finished out here. Someday, though, I will order another hat so I can get Modesto's block again!

I still recommend Robert's hats, and stand by that claim, G. I just think you'll have to pay more for the hat the way you want it done. It will still come out cheaper than the "Big Name" hatters!

Brad

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hi Brad, your hat still looks great and glad all things worked out in the end!

I am indeed a blowhard, PB, but I am the customer! Can you imagine? I would have demanded more if anyone sent me a hat that bleeds. PB can't deliver or make commitments. I fire guys like that. Or I get better hats cheaper from Brent Black.

No PanamaBob, I did not put down your family. I put you down, brother, because you are a disappointment. Deliver the best for the best price or you can't do business with me. Deal with it. I want and expect the best. If you cannot deliver the top of the line fino fino for the best price you don't win the business. Simple. Deal with it. I am the cusotmer and you are the vendor. You have to sublimate your interests for mine or you are nothing. Sorry. Nothing personal, just business. Your wife and the weaving families understand. It's all about money. Ask them. Sorry again. If you know, teach.

Maybe that's why I wear a black hat. :cool:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Relax guys. P.Bob so far has a good rep with those that I know that have bought from him.

If you say you can buy better weaves at cheaper prices show the pics. As for sweatband and color bleed that was explained.

Art, Andykev and Zohar are 3 whom I know own PBob hats. You seem to have the willingness to show us the comparisons, I say get two hats, one from Brent and one from Bob of equal value and style and show us the details.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Collins, your act grows weary on me. You are a big deal in your world. Big deal. I don't believe in being bullied. $1200.00 was the offer for what you wanted and YOU refused, not me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner