Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first stolen hat

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
No, I did not steal it. :)

I recently purchased a semi-colado from Panama Hats Direct for about $125. I wore it to church Sunday for its maiden voyage. They had taken down the coat rack for the summer so I put it in the storage closet where the Sunday School teachers keep their stuff. After the service it was gone along with my sunglasses. I figure either some teenager or child snagged it or some drug addict saw it as something he could trade for a hit. So maybe some drug dealer in Dayton is sporting a snappy lid this summer.

I'm leery of leaving hats unsupervised in restaurants and such but I figured it was safe in a church. Live and learn. The bummer is not only the loss of the hat (and I don't have the budget for another right now) but now I will not want to wear hats to church any more.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
No, I did not steal it. :)

I recently purchased a semi-colado from Panama Hats Direct for about $125. I wore it to church Sunday for its maiden voyage. They had taken down the coat rack for the summer so I put it in the storage closet where the Sunday School teachers keep their stuff. After the service it was gone along with my sunglasses. I figure either some teenager or child snagged it or some drug addict saw it as something he could trade for a hit. So maybe some drug dealer in Dayton is sporting a snappy lid this summer.

I'm leery of leaving hats unsupervised in restaurants and such but I figured it was safe in a church. Live and learn. The bummer is not only the loss of the hat (and I don't have the budget for another right now) but now I will not want to wear hats to church any more.

Sorry that your hat and glasses were stolen. I keep my hat with me in Church and it gets kind of tricky holding my Bible, notepad, hat with communion requiring another level of dexterity. I am convinced that Church is full of sinners, myself included, going through the sanctification process. Whoever took your hat is either early in the sanctification process or a wolf in sheep's clothing, hopefully it is a misunderstanding and they will return it. I would inform the Church office so they can ask around. I would even pray that your hat would be returned.
Mike A

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who'd you talk to about the incident? I'd almost bet it was somebody in maintenance. A couple of years ago a lot of brand-new computer equipment went missing from the college where I teach. Turned out it was the security guards. Kids (espeicially church-going ones) wouldn't be interested in your hat or sunglasses, and how many junkies have you noticed hanging around the church?

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
Like a hospital is full of sick people...a church is full of broken and hurting people. That's why I keep going. Sorry it went MIA. What size noggin do you have?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm very sorry that you lost the hat and the glasses. I often wear hats to church as well, although I wear them to the building, and keep them around with me, whether carrying the hat or putting it down on my lap as I'm seated.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Whoever took your hat is either early in the sanctification process or a wolf in sheep's clothing, hopefully it is a misunderstanding and they will return it. I would inform the Church office so they can ask around. I would even pray that your hat would be returned.
Mike A

Good thoughts Mike.

The hat and glasses were returned. This morning someone returned it to the closet from which it was taken. I am glad to have it back but the brim is pretty deformed like somebody stuck it in a backpack or something. That can be fixed. I speculate that a child or a teenager took it without thinking it thru, then when a parent saw it they made them return it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Good thoughts Mike.

The hat and glasses were returned. This morning someone returned it to the closet from which it was taken. I am glad to have it back but the brim is pretty deformed like somebody stuck it in a backpack or something. That can be fixed. I speculate that a child or a teenager took it without thinking it thru, then when a parent saw it they made them return it.

I'm glad you have them back. I think the hat can be fixed, as I had the same problem at one point while leaving one of mine around during a party, getting smashed in a bit. I popped it back out to return to the original shape, however, and it didn't leave severe crease marks.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Me too. Churches are not museums for saints, but hospitals for sinners.

Absolutely. When folks say " I don't go to church because the people there are sinners/hypocrites" well the fact is we all are to some degree, the only difference is to what degree of offense we indulge. I apologize if this becomes a discussion of religion because I did not intend that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR