Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My G-1

Peacoat

Bartender
A 1968 C series Martin Lane is an excellent G-1.

Edit Note: Yes, Atticus you are right, of course. The picture I saw was small, and I focused on the contract number that had the C in it. Now that I have gone back and increased the size of the picture, it is easier to see the last letter is a D.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You are right of course. The print was small in the picture I looked at and I focused on the contract number. After going back and making the picture larger, I see it is D series. I have a 1962 Irvin B. Foster that I believe to be a C series, but I'm not sure.
Actually you have a B series, one of the rarest of jackets. Only made from late 1961 to the end of 1963!

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments and the info, especially on the difference between the M-442 and the G-1. They do look alike on the outside.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My first military jacket was a G1, it was dark crispy goat, almost black with a beautiful dark ginger mouton collar. I think the lining was rayon as it was silkier than the later G1 from the Korean period I bought a few years later.
Cant remember any label details, it was over 30 years ago but I wish i still had it. I know the guy I sold it to still has it but it wont fit either of us now haha
Johnny T

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Actually you have a B series, one of the rarest of jackets. Only made from late 1961 to the end of 1963!
This is a "D" contract. MIL-J-7823D

moorecustom said:
In 1968 the D series was introduced and many (but not all) had a fake fur collar instead of the mouton used in all of the earlier jackets. The jackets were still goatskin but are very common and therefore not all that collectible

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

img_0548_2.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You apparently did not see the organelle post! I was responding to Peacoats original post, [since edited,] where he stated he has a 1962 Irvin B. Foster, which would be a B series. I don't know what happened since I responded, but I was correct that a the 1962 Irvin B. Foster would be a MIL-J-7823B, which would be a great find!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
What's this measure out at? Always curious because the g1s vary so heavily in sizing... Some 42s fit like 38-44s.

Just scored a B series myself. Tagged 44 but haven't taken delivery yet to confirm the fit (will post pics/measurements when I get it). I'm not too optimistic it'll work out tho... My last 44 was more like a 46L.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
What's this measure out at? Always curious because the g1s vary so heavily in sizing... Some 42s fit like 38-44s.

Just scored a B series myself. Tagged 44 but haven't taken delivery yet to confirm the fit (will post pics/measurements when I get it). I'm not too optimistic it'll work out tho... My last 44 was more like a 46L.

I'm a 42 and it barely fits.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
You apparently did not see the organelle post! I was responding to Peacoats original post, [since edited,] where he stated he has a 1962 Irvin B. Foster, which would be a B series. I don't know what happened since I responded, but I was correct that a the 1962 Irvin B. Foster would be a MIL-J-7823B, which would be a great find!

Apparently so. Its hard to see what isn't there. I was just trying to set the record straight on this jacket and label.
img_0548_2.jpg
IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0549_2.JPG
navyjacket.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender

Yes, you responded to my post. I unintentionally deleted that post when I was editing another post. The thread didn't flow very well after that. Sorry for creating the confusion. PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot