Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Alexander Leathers Jacket.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I just received my new AL jacket in Horween CXL Steerhide.

It's a Drifter without the cargo pockets and with two breast pockets instead of one. Plus a little extra length. I was looking for something almost as long as a LHB but not quite. The colour is what they call Havana and is a lovely sort of reddish chocolate and it's showing the characteristic CX shading already. It won't need anything like the breaking in of FQHH and is softening already after wearing it for a couple of hours indoors and sitting on it on the sofa last night. It's not that heavy either, and this is not the very heavy 4 oz Steer which others here have compared to a suit of armour.

It was made by Janet who I remember from before and has got red stitching and a light brown moleskin lining plus the same lining in the pockets. Amanda sent me a thread card and ordered the red I chose in specially. I wasn't sure which to go for but it's turned out to quite subtly complement the hide I think. All in all I think it turned out well and it fits me with a little room to layer which is what I wanted.

Amanda was her usual patient self and was quick to answer emails, and the whole order took just one day over four weeks from placing it to the jacket turning up at my door.
The pics were taken next morning after a little bit of breaking in. I did have some nice close ups but they seemed to be too big to upload here. Maybe I'll see if I can reduce their size.

Speaking of Swiss Toni, I didn't take any pics with me wearing just the jacket and an alluring smile you'll be pleased to know.

PC1800016.JPG

PC180007.JPG

PC180009.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Untitled 3.jpg

Last edited:

nevadapd

Familiar Face
That is a super-nice jacket, the fit is perfect, and the design tweaks you incorporated work quite well, I think. I also find the havana intriguing as a color, and am really curious how it will look as the leather ages. It's also good to know I'm not the only one who sits on his sofa at night wearing his jacket.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks nevadapd. My impression of it is that this hide will age pretty well. I've always liked steerhide and I prefer it's warmth to the touch, and softness when broken in to FQHH. I do like the way Horween CXL FQHH ages though so I'm hoping that this will be the best of both worlds.

It won't take anything like the work that the HH needs to get it looking nice either.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Congrats on a great looking jacket. How did you get them to nail the fit? Did you just send measurements and tell them how you wanted to wear it i.e. with a layer or did you provide more information?

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket . I got my "Button Drifter "--(my first coat from AL) a week or two ago--in the same hide and colour.... though yours looks a bit redder on my monitor than mine does in the flesh. Kept the cargo pockets but had other adaptations. Apart from buttons instead of a zip I also eliminated the biswing back and half belt. Kept the curved yoke, side straps and had button cuffs and Robertson Ancient Hunting tartan lining . Mine was also made (beautifully ) by Janet.
The leather is gorgeous and, as you say, seems like it is breaking in nicely already--certainly very fast compared to my Aero FQHH Highwayman. Not super heavy leather I agree but still pretty substantial stuff. Great communications from Amanda and Will --they sent lay-out pictures of 4 and 5 button styles so I could make a final choice when the jacket was ready for button-holing. I love the thing and am immensely pleased with the whole experience.
I'm told I now have more than enough jackets...but if I ever sneak another one in it will be from AL....
If I was more IT savvy I'd put a few snaps up too--but anyway folks can see the hide from yours.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Congrats on a great looking jacket. How did you get them to nail the fit? Did you just send measurements and tell them how you wanted to wear it i.e. with a layer or did you provide more information?

I sent them most of the measurements of a HWM which fits me as I like. The only measurement I asked them to work out for themselves was the navel, and I asked them to make it so the side straps were pulled in a bit in case I get fatter.

I'm an old fart now and it can be hard keeping the Michelin man look at bay.

Cheers.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Nice jacket . I got my "Button Drifter "--(my first coat from AL) a week or two ago--in the same hide and colour.... though yours looks a bit redder on my monitor than mine does in the flesh. Kept the cargo pockets but had other adaptations. Apart from buttons instead of a zip I also eliminated the biswing back and half belt. Kept the curved yoke, side straps and had button cuffs and Robertson Ancient Hunting tartan lining . Mine was also made (beautifully ) by Janet.
The leather is gorgeous and, as you say, seems like it is breaking in nicely already--certainly very fast compared to my Aero FQHH Highwayman. Not super heavy leather I agree but still pretty substantial stuff. Great communications from Amanda and Will --they sent lay-out pictures of 4 and 5 button styles so I could make a final choice when the jacket was ready for button-holing. I love the thing and am immensely pleased with the whole experience.
I'm told I now have more than enough jackets...but if I ever sneak another one in it will be from AL....
If I was more IT savvy I'd put a few snaps up too--but anyway folks can see the hide from yours.

Yes it is a little bit redder than the swatch I got but hides always vary a bit from batch to batch. AL say it's 3.5 oz I think and that's about right. When I wrote that it's not that heavy I meant it doesn't weigh really a lot like some of the 4 oz ones are said to.

The only Horween FQHH coat I have left now is a Vesta de Rallye which is a little bit bigger all round, but that weighs in a at fair bit more than this one.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice looking jacket, removing the cargo pockets worked well. Steer hide looks substantial but stiff at all, very nice colour too. Enjoy!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Another top lookng jacket, especially like the lining and the back. Man, I really am considering an AL jacket in CXL steer for the next jacket. Appropos of nothing I noticed on their facebook page they quite neatly slide out of fully answering a question about differences between CT and CXL FQHH. Anybody else spot this?

How is this FQHH different from CXL? Thanks.

our horsehide is produced from a high quality grade and receives the same chrome base tannage as all Horween chrome leathers, including CXL. It is then treated with Horween formulas using their unique tanning methods, finished using aniline dyes & waxes to highlight the natural character and grain resulting in a tremendous Horween full grain leather

I'm not trying to kick the hornet's nest here, I am curious about this question myself. Once again to capes and scrawlysteve, I am seriously admiring those jackets right now.

Well done... looks smashing and I like the fit. Congrats! Never had those button cuffs on a jacket though... how do you find them?

Worf

The jacket is nice and clean and good-looking hide. Your name is CoW, so it makes since to get steer :)

Here's a shot of my cuffs from 2011 on the FQHH Aero HBD. I claim rights to that brilliant move :)

IMG_1307.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup stunning jackets for Capes and Scrawlysteve. Both seem to have the fit nailed and the hides look superb. I like the CXL steer too and am just in the stages of finalising an order for a jacket in the same hide but in black. If it looks half as good as these I'll be chuffed!

thor

One Too Many
I received some leather samples from Amanda at AL for a future project; the CXL steer is some nice stuff but they also have Horween FQHH, making the choice of hide for a jacket order that much more difficult!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21