Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Horsehide Vest courtesy of Hillside USA

Navin323i

Practically Family
jon z said:
I meant inspiration for the buttons as it intrigued me as to why anyone would think of such a snappy idea.

It's also very interesting to know the background of your passion for vests as well as finding out your not only a talented musician but a TV star to boot.

I'm humbled Navin
John

Thanks John! I miss the days I used to perform. Whether I performed in front of audiences of 1000+ people or just an audience of 1 person... I feel most at ease when performing on stage... that's how I met the woman of my dreams (my wife)... I met her at a networking event at a club (pub) and wound up serenading her by singing her favorite Indian song (mind you I don't understand the Indian (Hindi) language itself but the musical notes themselves that I sing and play the violin to... that's the language that truly stirs my soul and conveys the song meaning).

Nowadays, the only people who hear me sing are my 2 little girls when I sing them to sleep, but someday when they're older I hope to get back into my public music performances. :)

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
WOW!!!!!!!

What a beautiful colored vest!!! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the vest from?

Thank you!
I got it from Lost Worlds in NYC.
Their horsehide is impressive to say the least.

Edward

Bartender
Navin323i said:
Thanks Edward! What colours are you referring to? Sorry that I missed the joke... I'm having one of those days. :D

lol no problem.... MC Clubs / biker gangs (whichever term you prefer) whose members wear emblems - 'colours' - which they typically have to earn normally have them sewn onto a sleeveless leather vest-type garment (or sometimes denim) that is worn over the top of street clothes or riding leathers, indicating both allegiance and that the individual has earned the right to wear those emblems.

roadking04

Practically Family
Well, I never contacted hillside, I just wrote it off as a loss. It was getting tight around the belly area anyways. LOL. And yes, I am ordering a motorcycle jacket from aero. Hopefully the wait and $$$ is worth it.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Unless you like a blousy fit I'd seriously reconsider your options before spending the kind of money you're looking at for an investment for life from one of the premier makers. Consider Lostworlds & Eastman as alternatives for instance as they achieve a truer vintage fit. Just my opinion.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
I meant inspiration for the buttons as it intrigued me as to why anyone would think of such a snappy idea.

Buffalo and Indian-Head nickel snaps have been popular options for motorcycle vests for many years in the US, and are offered by many manufacturers (including Legendary and Fox Creek). Ladies' vests usually offer Liberty dimes instead of nickels. To anyone interested, be sure to read the description carefully... some manufacturers use "replicas" instead of genuine coins for the snaps. Other popular snap options include metal primer-heads from 12 gauge shotgun shells or 9mm bullets.

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I also want to say the vest looks great and the fit seems to be perfect. I wear vests often as they can often have a slimming effect

Windward

Practically Family
I 've never had my focus on vests but yours looks great and fits you perfect -great combination with a light blue shirt and good to see you also wearing "men sizes" like I do :)

Windward

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Charlie74 said:
I wear vests often as they can often have a slimming effect
For many years, I considered vests to be strictly for the motorcycle club crowd -- a convenient place to sew patches, so that they can be displayed with or without a jacket. But Fox Creek had a really nice looking vest on clearance sale in my size, so I figured "what the heck". After wearing it for 3 days, I wondered how I ever managed to live without it. Now I'm completely addicted, and wear vests (from one vendor or another) about as often as I wear my own skin. Who would guess those little external front pockets are so handy, LOL?

I did have a horsehide vest from Hillside but unfortunately, my experience was similar to that of an earlier poster -- I was really disappointed in the both the quality of the hide and the workmanship. :( That was some years ago, though, so perhaps they have made improvements in both areas.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Nice vests! I don't have anything in leather, but I have it on my 'wish list.' A while back I spent a week at a guest ranch in AZ. I've been wanting to go back. If I do, I'd like to get a leather vest, with a little western flair. The only vest I have now, is a tweed one from Bookster.

I just ordered a new pair of Dehner boots, so I won't be buying anything else, until I get that paid off. I usually ride English, so I probably wouldn't wear a leather vest unless I was on vacation.

Navin323i

Practically Family
1087 said:
Thank you!
I got it from Lost Worlds in NYC.
Their horsehide is impressive to say the least.

You're most welcome! I'll have to check out their vests... what color does Lost Worlds refer to in regards to the specific color of your vest?

Navin323i

Practically Family
Edward said:
lol no problem.... MC Clubs / biker gangs (whichever term you prefer) whose members wear emblems - 'colours' - which they typically have to earn normally have them sewn onto a sleeveless leather vest-type garment (or sometimes denim) that is worn over the top of street clothes or riding leathers, indicating both allegiance and that the individual has earned the right to wear those emblems.

Thanks for the info! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Charlie74 said:
I also want to say the vest looks great and the fit seems to be perfect. I wear vests often as they can often have a slimming effect

Thanks Charlie! The slimming effect is a MUST for me, haha! :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Windward said:
I 've never had my focus on vests but yours looks great and fits you perfect -great combination with a light blue shirt and good to see you also wearing "men sizes" like I do :)

Windward

Thanks Windward! Haha... glad to see you too wear the "men sizes" like I do. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
TheSnark said:
For many years, I considered vests to be strictly for the motorcycle club crowd -- a convenient place to sew patches, so that they can be displayed with or without a jacket. But Fox Creek had a really nice looking vest on clearance sale in my size, so I figured "what the heck". After wearing it for 3 days, I wondered how I ever managed to live without it. Now I'm completely addicted, and wear vests (from one vendor or another) about as often as I wear my own skin. Who would guess those little external front pockets are so handy, LOL?

I did have a horsehide vest from Hillside but unfortunately, my experience was similar to that of an earlier poster -- I was really disappointed in the both the quality of the hide and the workmanship. :( That was some years ago, though, so perhaps they have made improvements in both areas.

I couldn't agree with you more about how those front pockets come in handy. :)

I'm sorry that you also had a bad experience with them in the past. I think they have made improvements, at least based on the vest I received. Joseph is a great guy to talk to as well. I'm confident based on what he told me that if I ever had a problem with the vest going forward he would bend over backwards to help me out.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
Nice vests! I don't have anything in leather, but I have it on my 'wish list.' A while back I spent a week at a guest ranch in AZ. I've been wanting to go back. If I do, I'd like to get a leather vest, with a little western flair. The only vest I have now, is a tweed one from Bookster.

I just ordered a new pair of Dehner boots, so I won't be buying anything else, until I get that paid off. I usually ride English, so I probably wouldn't wear a leather vest unless I was on vacation.

Thanks David! I've never heard of Dehner boots... I'll definitely have to check them out. :)

apba1166

A-List Customer
vests

I wear a vest for work sometimes, 'cause of the pockets (I always need a lot of work "stuff"), so I got curious and went to the Hillside website. I liked the Stand-up Collar vests--they are listed as "new" so perhaps quality has taken a turn for the better there. I have two denim ones with stand-up collars and like them a lot: one with quilted liner and padded stand up collar and deep front snap pockets that can hold a lot. Another denim with stiff stand-up collar, lots of zipped pockets and two deep "inside" pockets. Would be nice to have a leather one, 'specially w/lots of pockets. as far as horsehide for a vest, not sure about that. Had one for years and it doens't "move" enough to break.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80