Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My newest ebay Stetson

Victor

One of the Regulars
I saw this Stetson Open Road on ebay and was fortunate enou to win the auction.
I already have a silverbelly Open Road of this era and really love the softness and feel of the felt. Quite the contrast to the newer stiffer construction. My silverbelly is a size to big and was delighted to see one in my size and in the very unusual tan color (they are usually silverbelly grey). Hope it fits and is in good condition. I don't mind a little "character" as long as the basic shape is solid, looks like a great outdoor hiking hat. My guess is that its from the 50s though might be late 40s, not sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SETSON-vintage-...4065QQcmdZViewItemQQisPrinterFriendlyZ1QQpvZ2

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Victor,
great hat...I've one of it in my heart...
I've bought a beautiful Open Road 7x beaver it is an 50s hat, it is very beautiful, soft...but it's in 71/4 size, I'm a 71/2 size....I'm looking for reblock an strecht it...
mmm...what size is your silver belly...?
With compliments.
Riccardo

Victor

One of the Regulars
yeah, it doesn't look like a dress hat to me. a bit of an oddity for an open road, more rugged looking which suits me fine!
Riccardo, my silver belly came in 7 1/2 which is a bit big for me (I am a 7 3/8). I tried to shrink the sweat band and ruined the sweat. Art Fawcett saved it for me with a new sweat and reblock. If I see any nice hats on ebay in 7 1/2 I'll let you know

riccardo

Practically Family
Victor said:
yeah, it doesn't look like a dress hat to me. a bit of an oddity for an open road, more rugged looking which suits me fine!
Riccardo, my silver belly came in 7 1/2 which is a bit big for me (I am a 7 3/8). I tried to shrink the sweat band and ruined the sweat. Art Fawcett saved it for me with a new sweat and reblock. If I see any nice hats on ebay in 7 1/2 I'll let you know

Wow...great job for me!
Thanks.

Victor

One of the Regulars
the hat arrived! Very rapid ship. It was exactly as expected and a perfect fit. Nice soft felt, doesn't need steam to shape the crown just squeeze in a pinch and wear it. Nice vintage box too.
Only thing about this hat that bothes me is that it was obviously worn by a smoker and has a musty smell to it. Does anyone know a method to clear that smell other than a full reblock/cleaning or simply airing it out? Does steam help? Its not that serious but I do notice it indoors

drkilmer

New in Town
My wife swears by Febreeze. Her mother smokes and sometimes she sends us clothes in the mail for the kids ... we use that stuff and it seems to work great. Might want to consider it.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Febreeze is OK if you like the smell of Febreeze. Can't stand it, myself.

I got a Dobbs a few weeks back that had the same kind of cigarette smell and I got rid of it with a dip in dry cleaning solvent, although denatured alcohol or naphtha would both work too. Once the hat is completely dry, the solvent smell will be gone and so will the bad odor. Do yourself a favor and dry the hat on a stretcher or you might get a little shrinkage.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I tried fabreze and it does seem to help with no added offending odor. i didn't soak it, just sprayed it

Victor

One of the Regulars
well the fabreze didn't add much new smell but didn't do all that much to get rid of the old smell. I do hesitate to use solvents on a quality vintage hat unless i am sure it won't mess with the color or shrink it. do you spray it on? apply with a cloth? Art, are you around with any advice?

Canadave

One Too Many
Victor said:
well the fabreze didn't add much new smell but didn't do all that much to get rid of the old smell...

I've heard that if you put it in a closed container (cardboard box?) with some (clean ;)) cat litter, the litter will absorb the smell.

Good luck,

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo