Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My only polo shirt

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yes... I love the 80's too.

Yellow2-vi.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
80's!?!

Oh..My...God!!:eek: I can't believe I used to dress like that. Tried that look for a while back in the day. It just didn't take. So I had gone with the 50's Fonz look. Seemed to fit me better back then. Of course kids today are calling the 80's retro or vintage. Go figure.

Cheers!

Dan

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As I was telling one of my friends the other day...

I think we are in a
bit of a creative dark ages when it comes to
fashion... everything is being overly rehashed whereas
in past centuries styles continually mutated with
small heirs of the past blended in to the new design.
Todays styles are in many cases straight copies made
in a lesser quality.
I think it has to do with modern day mass media and
the ability to access the past so easily.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Just like music, fashion has run out of originality...everything is copied. There is only so much that can be done. I believe originality in men's fashion ended in the mid-eighties (the look Matt has).

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
DanielJones said:
Oh..My...God!!:eek: I can't believe I used to dress like that. Tried that look for a while back in the day. It just didn't take. So I had gone with the 50's Fonz look. Seemed to fit me better back then. Of course kids today are calling the 80's retro or vintage. Go figure.

Cheers!

Dan

I never dressed like that.....

In the 80's I was too busy dressing like this....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
There is some small amount of hope. As long as there are people who truly appreciate the classic styles of the past and incorporate them with modern tastes. I think Ralph Lauren is a good example of a designer who can take inspiration from the past to make clothes that are stylish and modern, but with a classic look. It's too bad that it is so expensive...

Of course when I step outside of my apartment it does often seem to be the dark ages of fashion... that's why I belong to this establishment!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sefton said:
There is some small amount of hope. As long as there are people who truly appreciate the classic styles of the past and incorporate them with modern tastes. I think Ralph Lauren is a good example of a designer who can take inspiration from the past to make clothes that are stylish and modern, but with a classic look. It's too bad that it is so expensive...

Of course when I step outside of my apartment it does often seem to be the dark ages of fashion... that's why I belong to this establishment!

You live in Medival Times Theme Park?;) Same with me, I walk out and I see people under-dressed and just throghing on their clothes. Thanks to my upbringing and Fedora Lounge I am almost sloppy dressing free for a year now (execpt for painting and set building days, or community service days).

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mycroft said:
You live in Medival Times Theme Park?;) Same with me, I walk out and I see people under-dressed and just throghing on their clothes. Thanks to my upbringing and Fedora Lounge I am almost sloppy dressing free for a year now (execpt for painting and set building days, or community service days).
That reminds me of the movie "Westworld" except that the people(robots) in medieval world still dressed better than most in S.F. :rolleyes:

I too can give credit to our club for being a positive source of sartorial inspiration! As to the topic of this thread; I'm not sure that I would say that I love the 80s so much.. polo shirts can be nice addition to your wardrobe in certain circumstances.
railing against slovenly habiliment, Sefton
;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sefton said:
That reminds me of the movie "Westworld" except that the people(robots) in medieval world still dressed better than most in S.F. :rolleyes:

I too can give credit to our club for being a positive source of sartorial inspiration! As to the topic of this thread; I'm not sure that I would say that I love the 80s so much.. polo shirts can be nice addition to your wardrobe in certain circumstances.
railing against slovenly habiliment, Sefton
;)

I have a lot because I play golf a lot and uniforms for school.

Mycroft

One Too Many
"Sometimes a tennis shirt's cloth is cut so that the back hangs a few centimeters lower than the front. This is called a tennis tail. The longer cut is designed to keep the shirt tucked into the back of a man's tennis shorts when he is bent over to survey the court. The original 1929 design by tennis player Rene Lacoste called for a thick pique collar that one would wear turned up in order to block the sun from one's neck."
-Wikipedia

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
J. Peterman

In the British Museum there is an illustrated manuscript, dated 1472, showing Persian princes playing polo. Yes, polo.
Even more amazing, it shows exactly what they wore. Look closely and you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll even understand why they wore what they wore.
They were hot.
The reason they were hot is that polo wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t yet a gentrified sport where people in Land Rovers parked around a green field nibbling cucumber sandwiches.
Polo, as originally played in Persia, was a war game with hundreds of players?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ cavalry units, king?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s guards, and princes spoiling for blood.
(The training, then, was succinct: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìhawk, cheetah, swordsmanship, archery, and?¢‚Ǩ¬¶polo.?¢‚Ǩ?)
The shirts they wore? Open-necked, just as we know the polo shirt today; except that the neck, six centuries ago, opened twice as deep for?¢‚Ǩ¬¶better ventilation.

http://www.jpeterman.com/cgi-bin/sg...1265&HTNAME=/html/jp-products/LCF05/1090.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany