Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Overdue Wardrobe Education

cjw314

New in Town
Heyas.

In the process of trying to dress more my age (mid 30s), I'm considering all of my clothing from a new direction. It's interestingly challenging, and I'm rather thankful to have the places like this as a resource, particularly FL. Long time lurker has shown me mature, well spoken people with whom I share an interest and I appreciate it. : )

So, then, I've a new medium grey sport coat:

Zr5nU.jpg

(That color seems fairly accurate, if anything it's a bit lighter than this.)

and was considering it over dark brown pants; I wouldn't call them chocolate, moreso ... coffee? It feels like it should work, but I wonder if there's enough contrast. I think it comes together with the not quite reddish brown shoe, and possibly a cream/navy detail sweater?

Anyway... what jacket color would work with 'coffee' pants? Camel, I suppose, but... can that really be ... all? Tan, light khaki?

I can't believe I'm rambling about wearing a pair of pants. Just wanted 'new' eyes... thanks in advance for your time.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try to get some tweed sportcoats with pattern like herringbone or flecks. They usually come in colors that are easy to combine with brown. Different shades in the pattern make mix and match far easier too.

Other than that you already had good ideas. Contrast and earthtones.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I find that black and grey often go well together for a dramatic look. But then my taste is decidedly victorian, so perhaps more modern thinking sartorialists might disagree with me.

This I can tell you; gray, black and white are tones, not colours, and as such they can mix with almost anything. It makes them extremely versatile.

It sounds like you're on the right track with matching to the coffee pants. Perhaps a green might work too, if it was the right shade? Can't say for sure.

There's a useful thread on here started by Matt Deckard called "putting it all together". I believe it's on the suit forum if I'm not mistaken. That is an excellent resource too.

cjw314

New in Town
@FFF: A tweed jacket is high on the list of holes to fill in my closet for those reasons exactly. - And thanks much for the vote of confidence; that's rather helpful at the moment as well.

@G&T: I prefer the gray/black/white combinations, but am limited in my options at the moment. I have a light cerulean-ish blue dress shirt that goes well with these particular pants. Can't say I have specific tie for it, but under that creme/navy Mobaco sweater I mentioned it comes together well. I was trying the pants with other options, and that was what threw me off. Thanks for the lead on Matt Deckard's thread; duly noted.

So it sounds like a grey jacket and coffee pants can work together, if the grey is contrasting enough...? Would you attempt it?

I'm not sure about the jacket/pants in question, but I think I understand the why of it better now, which is what I'm looking for.

I think I've found the problem; I simply need more clothes. ; ]

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
@FFF: A tweed jacket is high on the list of holes to fill in my closet for those reasons exactly. - And thanks much for the vote of confidence; that's rather helpful at the moment as well.

@G&T: I prefer the gray/black/white combinations, but am limited in my options at the moment. I have a light cerulean-ish blue dress shirt that goes well with these particular pants. Can't say I have specific tie for it, but under that creme/navy Mobaco sweater I mentioned it comes together well. I was trying the pants with other options, and that was what threw me off. Thanks for the lead on Matt Deckard's thread; duly noted.

So it sounds like a grey jacket and coffee pants can work together, if the grey is contrasting enough...? Would you attempt it?

I'm not sure about the jacket/pants in question, but I think I understand the why of it better now, which is what I'm looking for.

I think I've found the problem; I simply need more clothes. ; ]

I would probably try the gray/coffee combination with the right shirt and tie. It's hard to say without actually seeing it, as the subtleties of shades come into play, but generally I would say it would probably work.

Some of my favourite combinations are black/tan, blue/red, blue/yellow, and black/red (quite dramatic). It actually pays to familiarize yourself with colour theory as well. Google "colour wheel" and "colour theory" to get the basic rules.

As for not having enough clothes, I'm with you there. I donno about you, but thrift stores are my best friend in that department! I just picked up an awesome PoW check 3 piece suit with some very classic styling elements for 7 bucks! It's at the tailor right now, but I'll post it in the "show us your suits" thread when I can.

Best of luck!

cjw314

New in Town
I've been enjoying many trips to the Goodwill store and getting lucky there. In fact the jacket I'm wearing today I got for 5 dollars ... it's time to replace the loafers, but otherwise, it's just taking longer than I want it to. ; )

I've a background in design, so the colors part of it comes easily to me; coordinating patterns and remembering to consider 'weight'/texture between pieces, though, is where the challenge is.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I've been enjoying many trips to the Goodwill store and getting lucky there. In fact the jacket I'm wearing today I got for 5 dollars ... it's time to replace the loafers, but otherwise, it's just taking longer than I want it to. ; )

I've a background in design, so the colors part of it comes easily to me; coordinating patterns and remembering to consider 'weight'/texture between pieces, though, is where the challenge is.

Ah, well then you're away to the races! With a look at Matt Deckard's posts on the matter and your background you'll have no trouble at all.

I love Goodwill. I once saw an incredible vintage 3 piece navy with chalk stripe for 10 bucks, but sadly it wasn't even close to fitting me ;_; it was in gorgeous condition too.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
Heyas.
Anyway... what jacket color would work with 'coffee' pants? Camel, I suppose, but... can that really be ... all? Tan, light khaki?

When I wear brown on brown (often) I mix very different textures so I don't look matchy-matchy or like I tried to make a suit out of odd pieces.

Example: I like to wear my tweed houndstooth sportcoat with my rayon windowpane trousers. The different fabrics intensify the contract somewhat to make it work.

Like you, I'm still learning how to coordinate things (I was clueless all though college). Its so much easier to just wear a suit, isn't it? Pre-matched.

cjw314

New in Town
G&T: How close to your size would you consider buying, assuming you have a reasonable alteration plan, which I suspect you do.

DI: Suits are easy to decide the pants and coat... but that just means you get to pay even more attention to the rest of the details. I like the options that a simply a few sport coats give me. I never knew I had so much more use out of my sweaters to be had. Add those together and ... it takes me longer to get ready to go now. That will change with time, but for the time being... :p

I found myself feeling overdressed a touch this week, (coworkers wear rather casual business casual) but I'm trying not to let it bother me. Hah... nyah nyah. :>

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My son the junior banker said that there was an hour long meeting today concerning dressing professionally. Wearing pants at the waist, wearing the pants at the right length, etc. He was elsewhere, and didn't feel he needed the tutoring. He dresses pretty well for a 20-30 year old. At least businesses are making an effort again.

With respect to the gray sport coat and brown pants. I'm a little retentive, but I wear gray with black OR navy, and khaki, olive and browns together. I've never worn gray with brown (except my beard :eeek:). I guess I should try it, but I don't currently have anything brown and gray that I can wear at the same time. Wearing two sport coats just won't work.

Later

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
G&T: How close to your size would you consider buying, assuming you have a reasonable alteration plan, which I suspect you do.

Well, I typically look on a case by case basis. The biggest thing is the shoulders; if they're wrong, they really can't be fixed. The chest can be altered fairly successfully within about 2 inches or so, so one standard size up or down, I understand. Waistbands about the same. Trouser and sleeve length can be very tricky; unless it's a very, very pristine piece, lengthening is typically out of the question, and even then very risky, but shortening is fairly easy.

The quick and dirty answer is 1 size up or down and if the shoulders are too wide or narrow I give it a pass right away. Basically if the thing is going to take a ton of alteration to make it fit right, it's probably not worth the expense or time. It can be frustrating, but in the end it pays off. I have several nice suits and jackets now that fit very nicely and cost me a pittance.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
DI: Suits are easy to decide the pants and coat... but that just means you get to pay even more attention to the rest of the details. I like the options that a simply a few sport coats give me. I never knew I had so much more use out of my sweaters to be had. Add those together and ... it takes me longer to get ready to go now. That will change with time, but for the time being... :p

That's true. For ease in the mornings I have pre-matched a shirt, tie(s), and pocket square with each suit in the closet, so I don't have to think about it.

It actually takes longer for me to dress casually, I feel your pain.

cjw314

New in Town
1961MJS: I'm tentative when I consider gray and brown as well, but my options are a tad limited at the moment so I'm having to be ...more "creative". Of course, that's not a bad thing... ; )

G&T: Great advice; thanks for the intel. I haven't started "vetting" local tailors yet, but I do remember a friend that's working in alterations....!

@DI: My wife would be shocked if I planned much of anything that far ahead... but stranger things have happened! I don't need to wear suits at work - at most, a coat and tie will work - so I'm having to flex my coordination muscle more, which I certainly need.

Off to consider what to wear out for dinner out tonight... likely not gray and brown, though. lol

cjw314

New in Town
Just a quick plug for this past weekend's ; I surprised my wife with an overnight at the BnB in Louisville 'Austin's Inn Place'. Side by side 3 story Victorians with reasonable antique decor. Fabulous breakfast and extras; the hosts were so welcoming, informed and accomidating. : )

www.austinsinnplace.com

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
With coffee coloured trousers, I would suggest a green tweed sports-coat or hacking jacket, or perhaps a golden-rod herring-bone sports-coat, or of course the quintessential camel sports-coat, or a corduroy or velvet jacket in any earth-tone, or perhaps a piece of knit-wear like a shawl cardigan or something if it's more casual. Try patterns to break up the monotony of drab browns or grays. Patterns and textures are key. Oh, and of course a navy blue blazer which really does go with Everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum