Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Home

Trickeration

Practically Family
Some of you have asked for pictures of our house. Well, I've finally got some to share. Part of the delay was my getting an online album, and part of the delay was getting the house clean ;) !

Here's a little about the house. It was built in 1944, but was remodeled in the mid 1950's. We are renting the house from my husband's boss, who bought it from the original owner. We got to pick the house, and we get a good deal on the rent. Though we were looking for an earlier home, this one was the best compromise for all of the parties involved in the purchase. The boss wanted something that would hold it's value (this place has doubled it's value in 4 years), we wanted something old. My plan was to decorate in a late 30's-early40's style, but my husband was more into atomic 50's decor. In the end, we have a mix of eras, depending on which room you're in. Much of it's '50's, because a lot of the remodeling really shows that time and we didn't want to change it.

The kitchen has it's mid '50's cabinets, counters, and flooring. There was no place for the fridge, so we did have to cut part of the counters to get it in :cry: . We found that Lois (the old owner) had owned a wall mounted refrigerator. It was put up in the mid '50's and she was using it up until she moved in 2001. We put in a 1940's O'keefe and Merritt stove and have also learned that Lois had the identical stove. I wish she had left her appliances with the house, but they went to a relative.

The dining room has an italian 1940's chandelier that I had to battle with the realtor to keep. He really wanted it!

The living room is '50's modern, my husband picked the couch and I decorated to fit it.

The bedroom has my vintage bedroom set that I picked out when I was 10 (I started collecting young!). You'll see a few dolls in there. I'm not a collector of dolls, they're all heirlooms and this was the best place to put them.

Attached to the bedroom is my favorite room. My dressing room. It's very inspiring when I 'm getting ready to go out. This room was added on, but I'm not sure exactly when. Opposite the vanity is a closet the same length as the vanity, but the rod is too low to hang my formals.

I don't have pics of the kids rooms. They have modern rooms, both with loft beds since all of the bedrooms are quite small. Also, I haven't done pics of the bathroom yet. We're not quite finished with the remodeling there, and I want to wait until it's just right.

Anyway, I hope you like the pics. Thanks for letting me share and here's the link to the album.....

http://community.webshots.com/album/431500020XuKGfi

Dahlia

Familiar Face
Your home is beautiful, Trix! I really enjoyed the pictures of your dressing room-it does look very pretty and inspiring. And the furniture in the bedroom is absolutely lovely. Thank you for sharing your home with us!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Your home is amazing!!! I was looking at the pictures and remembering some furniture I remember seeing in my Grandma's growing up. She thinks it's a novelty that everything old is new again! That is true discipline and lots of fun finding ;)

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Nice digs Trickeration!
My wife and I lived in Long Beach for a few years (we left for the midwest last fall) and we loved it! We were in the Belmont Heights area, Colorado & Ximeno. We still miss 2nd street and of course the Queen Mary! Before we decided to leave we went to a lot of open houses in hopes of finding one we could afford (not an easy tast near the ocean in SoCal).
We're still renting @ the moment , but we hope to buy an older place next year and do some vintage interior design asd well. Thanks for sharing the pics.
PBG

Trickeration

Practically Family
Thanks so much guys! It's been fun working on the house over the last few years. Like Lauren said, though, it also took some dicipline. I've had a few "heated discussions" with my husband at times over why we weren't going to buy a replacement toaster or iron at Wal-mart ;) . He likes the vintage stuff a lot, but not so much when it's an inconvenience. And we had no sofa for almost 2 years while we waited to find just what we were looking for. Most everything in the house is thrift store or estate sale finds.

I really like that you guys saw things that reminded you of family and the past :clap . I've tried to keep the rooms authentic. Sometimes when people hear we have a 50's kitchen, they think it must be all red and chrome, and look like a diner. My mom has been the most help to me with the house. She was born in the mid-30's, and collected antiques and vintage items as I was growing up, so she can answer most of my vintage era questions. I also used catalogs that I have from the 20's, 30's, and 40's, and some early '50's issues of Ladies Home Journal.

airfrogusmc---My grandma was a sock monkey master. She made them all the time as gifts for people. My mom found a sock broomstick-horse at an antique market one day. It's so cool. :)

PrettyBigGuy said:
Nice digs Trickeration!
My wife and I lived in Long Beach for a few years (we left for the midwest last fall) and we loved it! We were in the Belmont Heights area, Colorado & Ximeno. We still miss 2nd street and of course the Queen Mary! Before we decided to leave we went to a lot of open houses in hopes of finding one we could afford (not an easy tast near the ocean in SoCal).
We're still renting @ the moment , but we hope to buy an older place next year and do some vintage interior design asd well. Thanks for sharing the pics.
PBG

Thanks PrettyBigGuy!
We lived in North Long Beach before this house. It was so awful. The neighborhood looked nice enough during the day, but at night it was full of drug dealers, and we had car chases and everything. The house was itself was a really big 1920's place, and I loved that. But when my son (who was 7 at the time) was outside playing one day, and the police ran through in a foot pursuit with an armed gunman, we decided to move. We'd looked at other houses but everything was so expensive. I'm a stay at home mom, so the budget is pretty tight. When my husband told his boss we would be moving back to our house in Connecticut, that's when the whole plan came up to find us a rental here. It still took a lot of searching. This house was the last one we looked at as we were about to give up the search. I'm glad we've been able to stay. My dad died a couple of years ago, and it was nice that our kids got spend time with their grandpa, and get to know him.

Are you from here originally? We are, but we've been all over with the military. New England was my favorite. I really miss the old houses, and the fall weather. I would imagine there is similar where you are, but it probably gets a lot colder in the winter.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Trickeration said:
Are you from here originally? We are, but we've been all over with the military. New England was my favorite. I really miss the old houses, and the fall weather. I would imagine there is similar where you are, but it probably gets a lot colder in the winter.

No, I'm from the Chicago suburbs originally. I moved to SoCal in 1997 and lived in Hollywood/Los Feliz (where I met my wife) mostly. She got a great promotion to come back here and we couldn't pass it up (mostly because all of my family is here and the thought of being able to afford to buy a home that wasnt in the middle of the California desert were just too appealing!).
BTW, I've been on the lookout for a kitchen table and chairs like that for years! really cool! Also, if you are ever looking for any Heywood Wakefield furniture there is a store on Redondo St in Long Beach called Space Invaders that sells nothing but refinished pieces. We bought a coffee table there last year. Great stuff.

Trickeration

Practically Family
PrettyBigGuy said:
No, I'm from the Chicago suburbs originally. I moved to SoCal in 1997 and lived in Hollywood/Los Feliz (where I met my wife) mostly. She got a great promotion to come back here and we couldn't pass it up (mostly because all of my family is here and the thought of being able to afford to buy a home that wasnt in the middle of the California desert were just too appealing!).
BTW, I've been on the lookout for a kitchen table and chairs like that for years! really cool! Also, if you are ever looking for any Heywood Wakefield furniture there is a store on Redondo St in Long Beach called Space Invaders that sells nothing but refinished pieces. We bought a coffee table there last year. Great stuff.

My husband works in Harbor City and there are a couple of guys that drive in from Hemet every day. It was the only affordable housing they could find. If it were not for my husband's boss, we'd be in Conn. We'll only be here as long as we can afford my being home with the kids. If that changes we'll be leaving, too.

I'll have to check our Space Invaders. I love to know what's out there. We found the table at the Vet's Stadium Flea Market a couple of years ago. There was a family who'd been told they should go there to sell their grandmother's estate stuff. They still had the table and chairs late in the day and didn't want to take it home. We got it for $80. They also through in a bunch of 50's glassware for free that they didn't want to wrap back up.

airfrogusmc--Sock monkeys are pretty popular lately. The ones that really mean something, though, are our own. Do you have any vintage decor at your place? :) .

Trix

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Trix,

Unfortunately the Mrs doesn't share my love for vintage. I have my 50s Vendo 110 Coke machine which she doesn't mind cause it frees space up in the rif that my brewskis would normally occupy. We also have an old dial phone and some original soda signs. A large 7up and a bottle shaped nu grape and an old Coke button sign. These are in our kitchen.

Allen

swinggal

One Too Many
Great digs! I too have a vintage home which was built in 1927, right at the beginning of the Deco era. My love is 1930s early 40's decor so my home is filled with that style.

My other half has grown to love the Moderne 'sleek' Deco style but I have to compromise with a few pieces of modern furniture and artwork also. But - luckily, all of the new stuff is simply styled, so it fits in very well.

When we bought the house, we took it back to original colours from the time and changed all the 70's light fittings and switches back to deco style ones with perfect reproductions and some original fittings too.

Will get some pictures up soon. There are alot of opportunites to find good 1930s furniture in Australia and I have found some great pieces like my bedroom setting, buffet cabinet, bedside tables and two smaller mens wardrobes that I use to house some of my vintage clothing collection in. As well as all my other 30s and 40's period things, my pride and joy are two original movie posters from the early 40s that I bough in Melbourne. Very rare and hard to find.

We also just bought a new dining setting that is an almost exact replica of one I have in a Sears calalogue from 1939. Wonderful!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I love your house!!!!! Mine's not done up vintagey. I have a denim couch in fact. So it's nice to see the success others have put forward into having a vintage home and live viccariously through you all.

Swinggal, yes you must post pics. You have my curious eyes peaked.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Definately visit Space Invaders... even just to drool. It can be quite expensive.
Also, the last time I was at Jan's Antique Mall over on Wardlow near... Orange, I think?... had a new booth all the way on the right side that sold only mid-century modern stuff. Very nice.

We have a chrome table similar to yours, Trickeration. Ours has the same yellow, but interwoven with a fruit pattern on the edges in "silver ice". That's in the kitchen. In the dining room we also have a wondeful formica toped table that simulates wood grain... but in black & white. Even has it's original chairs with black & white almost tiki-ish print.
We have a variety of other vintage furnishings, as well. We live in the house that my Great Grandparents had built in 1939, and we'd like our home to have the look of a home that was furnished over time through the 40's & 50's.
I'll post pictures eventually... the house is in shambles from neglect as I've been super busy lately ;)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I love,love your house!Hardwood floors,wow!(Can you hear my wistful sigh?)

We don't have a vintage home,but would love one.Our furniture is a mix-match of Art Deco and Mid-century.
However,I'm torn between a 50's style Ranch or a 20's tudor(actually I'm not sure if they're tudors)the ranches here are getting expensive,but there is a great old neighborhood in South Dallas that is really a diamond in the rough and has alot of the 20s to 40s homes.
They're already starting to refurbish the neighborhood and everyone moving in is really pulling to keep it an hisoric district(rare,very rare,usually everything gets torn down in Dallas in favor of a Mcmansion).
I know I'd want to do everything period correct,but don't know if I could part with my beloved leopard print couches. :cry:

This one's a prairie,but cute and a fixer-upper.
http://www.ebby.com/details/10357309.html

and the couches:
47b4d832b3127cce9a3b439d3d4000000016109AbOXLFk0bS

Trickeration

Practically Family
rubyredlocks said:
I love,love your house!Hardwood floors,wow!(Can you hear my wistful sigh?)

We don't have a vintage home,but would love one.Our furniture is a mix-match of Art Deco and Mid-century.
However,I'm torn between a 50's style Ranch or a 20's tudor(actually I'm not sure if they're tudors)the ranches here are getting expensive,but there is a great old neighborhood in South Dallas that is really a diamond in the rough and has alot of the 20s to 40s homes.
They're already starting to refurbish the neighborhood and everyone moving in is really pulling to keep it an hisoric district(rare,very rare,usually everything gets torn down in Dallas in favor of a Mcmansion).
I know I'd want to do everything period correct,but don't know if I could part with my beloved leopard print couches. :cry:

Your couches are great! I can see how it would be hard to part with them. My friend Jonny Ray would love them, too! He plays upright bass with the Knitters, but the electric bass he plays at church is leopard print. He's obsessed with the pattern. His wife loves him dearly but vetoed leopard furnishings a long time ago! :kick:

The house picture reminds me a little of our old house in Connecticut. It was a colonial style built in 1929. It was heartbreaking to sell it, but it was hard to keep track of renters from California. When developers blasted out the hillside across the street (we had just woods there when we moved it) and built some really ugly condos that looked like government housing there, it was all over. We couldn't face that, literally.

Elsewhere- I love Jan's! It's just down the road from me. They laugh when I come in because I the only customer who goes there instead of the regular mall to buy gifts for people. I have a gorgeous 1930's gown on layaway there now. Do you live nearby? How did you find Jan's?

Swinggal- Yes, you must post some pictures! It sounds lovely!

And ITG- Have you thought about vinage furnishings? My daughter's room might also appeal to the "Indiana" in you. It's sort of tropical jungle looking with a big tree that I made in one corner. The branches spread out over the ceiling. We'll be adding another tree opposite it, soon. There are vines going across the side of the loft bed and netting over the bed (kind of like mosquito netting), and there are bamboo blinds on the window. I guess though, for true Indy style, I'd need to swap out some of the flowers in the trees for big spiders and snakes. Katharine would love that ;) . I'll post pictures of her room (if she ever gets it clean).

Oh, and airfrogusmc- I saw your coke machine in another thread. Very cool. There was one like it in the old drugstore where I grew up. But at 10 I was a little intimidated by it.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Gosh! A 3 bedroom house for only $159k!! Wow.

Trickeration-- I used to bartend at Lona's Wardlow Station across the street. Most miserable bartending experience EVER. I worked there for about 6 months. The customers were mean and demanding and tipped half as much as any other bar I'd worked at.
I still go to Jan's sometimes... although I haven't been there in awhile since we no longer live in Long Beach. The last time was in November when I was searching for vintage ties & brooches for our wedding party.
Do you live in California Heights? Lovely area, that. I'd love to live there.
Heck.. I'd love to move back to Long Beach, but we'd only be able to afford a studio there for what we're paying here!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
Are you speaking of Kessler Park? If so, my cousin and her family live there and love it (except for grocery shopping as there's not many places for shopping that feel safe).

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oops, Ruby Red, I just looked at your Ebby Halliday link and pulled up the map. That area is where my dad grew up. He lived on Clarendon as a kid and used to own a Gulf gas station in the 70s-80s on Hampton and 12th. In fact, I grew up going to Calvary Baptist Church there off of 12th street and I think Brighton or Waverly. Be sure to check out Aunt Stella's snow cones if they're still over in that area. Yum!!!! In fact my dad did a paper route as a kid and probably knows who lived there. LOL! Cute House by the way!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
elsewhere said:
Gosh! A 3 bedroom house for only $159k!! Wow.
Oh yes and cheaper. My 3 bedroom is appraised at $109k (though I paid considerably less) and my neighbors is appraised at about $117,000K and the houses in my neighborhood are only about 15 years old. Texas real estate is quite a bit cheaper than California's.

Trickeration said:
And ITG- Have you thought about vinage furnishings? My daughter's room might also appeal to the "Indiana" in you. It's sort of tropical jungle looking with a big tree that I made in one corner. The branches spread out over the ceiling. We'll be adding another tree opposite it, soon. There are vines going across the side of the loft bed and netting over the bed (kind of like mosquito netting), and there are bamboo blinds on the window. I guess though, for true Indy style, I'd need to swap out some of the flowers in the trees for big spiders and snakes. Katharine would love that ;) . I'll post pictures of her room (if she ever gets it clean).
No, but her room sounds fun. Here's my living room and it'd be a bit hard now to convert to an Indy type theme or even vintage:
livingroom2.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Your living room is beautiful,ITG.Love the hardwoods.
Kessler Park is definitely an area I want to look into or Lakewood.Thanks for the info on the snowcones.That does sound yummy.I could use one today,it's sweltering here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran