Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Overcoat.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
On a trip to San Francisco for the July 4th weekend, I went to the Haight and found this overcoat in one of the many shops that line the street. I paid exactly $100.00 for it. It's in excellent condition.

OvercoatFront0002.jpg
OvercoatBack0003.jpg

The yoke label
OvercoatYokeLabel0006.jpg

The lapel label (next to the vertical wallet pocket)
OvercoatLapelLabel0004.jpg

The union label (in the wallet pocket)
OvercoatUnionLabel0009.jpg

Buttons and piping
OvercoatButtonsandPiping0012.jpg

I'm no expert, so if anyone can offer more information about it (such as decade), I would very much appreciate it.

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much, rmrdaddy! That is some very interesting reading! Far more information than I'd expected and very much appreciated. Thank you again! :eusa_clap

A little research regarding the union label reveals the coat to be from between 1949 and 1962. Perhaps someone more sartorialy enterprising can help me narrow that down a bit. I'm also curious about the "Series GEL." Can anyone enlighten me about that?

Lee

You are probably looking at somewhere in the 1950s with that overcoat. The ribbon taped seams are truly works of art from back then. You certainly won't find anything like that off the rack today. That coat will likely outlive you as it did the first owner---that's a good thing by the way. ;)
They made coats out of real material back then. I am not sure how ofter you will wear it down in San Diego but.......:D ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Jamespowers. I'll wear it a little less often in San Diego than I will where I live, which is closer to Los Angeles. And not often here, at that. :rolleyes: :D I will, I'm certain, bring it with me the several times I'll be visiting San Francisco in the next couple of years. It'll get some use, and I'll be careful with it, too. I plan to enjoy it whenever weather permits for as long as I live.

Also, upon looking closer at it I'd finally noticed the "button" hole on the lapel which, of course, was sliced by the manufacturer but never fully opened.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner