1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Mystery "Aero" Half-Belt, need help identifying

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by JanW, Dec 6, 2018.

1. JanW

JanW New in Town

Hi all,

I purchased this jacket extremely cheap from a garage sale. The seller says he does not have any information regarding the jacket, as he only used it once for a photo shoot and then was stored for a long time (note the horizontal crease, which I suspect came from folding, which I don't mind). It has no tags and appears to have a replacement lining, but for the life of me really looks to me like an Aero half-belt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't identify the leather either, very thick and heavy (my Aero Highwayman is 2.6kg, this jacket weighs 2.2kg), but has a different hand than horsehide. More waxy and stiff, with lots of color gradiation. I suspect its either calf or steer. It didn't seem to have much wrinkling in the joints when I brought it, so I suspect it wasn't worn much. I wore it for half a day, and the arms are already starting to lose stiffness. Hardware uses vintage brass Talon zippers for main and chest pocket. Construction seems solid, similar to Aero jackets I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    aluminium molecular formula

The question is, what is this thing? Is it possible that some enterprising leatherworker reproduced a half-belt somehow, or is this a real Aero?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible New in Town

Spamming us with molecular formula? ;)

3. JanW

JanW New in Town

Its from the image host. Are the pictures showing?

4. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Boy that really does look like an Aero! The collar shape and the half belt side cinchers...you may have struck gold there. Regardless, it fits you really well. Score!

5. 53Effie

53Effie A-List Customer

Very similar to a Lost Worlds Ryder I think.

6. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Looks very much like a Aero 50s Half-Belt in all of its features.

handymike likes this.
  7. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Agreed, it looks like an Aero 50s half belt that has been relined. I can't say for 100% but that's my best guess.

handymike likes this.
  8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Aero or copy, you did great for a garage sale!

9. dannyk

dannyk A-List Customer

Yup whatever it is, for a garage sale find you done did good. Even the fit is really freaking good. I wish I could find something like that at a garage sale.

Worf and ton312 like this.
  10. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

Indeed it looks like an Aero. Except for the inner pocket, I have never come across such a pocket in Aero, though I was this was an option. I would contact Aero to get more info. In any case it is a great find! Enjoy it!

11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Agreed, and the little leather strip along the bottom isn't Aero

Harris HTM likes this.
  12. oneterrifichog

oneterrifichog Practically Family

I think you have a really nice jacket but I doubt it is an Aero or Lost Worlds Jacket. I think the color is off for both companies even allowing for the color coming across online it really looks sort of reddish brown to me and the leather looks thinner than both companies usually use. Now having said this I think it is an excellent representation of a half belt jacket.

13. Willybob

Willybob One of the Regulars

Could it be a Bill Kelso? The interior pocket and interior leather hem strip are Kelso characteristics. Does it have a tag hidden in a pocket? What side is the zip pull on?
    IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG

14. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

I would say not Aero due to the cuff depth. It was the first thing I noticed so must be different. I could not see Aero making the cuffs that deep.
    Nice colour and a great buy. If you got it really cheap I would consider trading as from the back it looks too big, but the look can depend on how you adjust the side straps or whether you wear it undone during the photography of the back pics.
    Still a nice jacket :)

15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm no expert but something about the pattern's proportions aren't quite right for an Aero.

Monitor likes this.
  16. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

I also vote not an Aero.
    The stitch lines are too far from the edges (especially the bottom hem one), the lining is not attached to the bottom of the jacket the Aero way, the inside pocket is wrong, there is a hanging tab, and the collar also has a very non Aero thing going on.
    It does look like a well made jacket though!

Monitor likes this.
  17. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure of the jackets "progeny" however I think it looks outstanding! And if you got it for garage sale money???? What a steal. I'd not look that "gift horse" in the chompers believe me!

Worf

ton312 and dannyk like this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I don't think it's an Aero but it's an awesome jacket in any case!

19. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Couldn't agree more. If I found that at a garage sale I'd have to quickly move to cash table and pay and leave before I lost it and started giggling like a school girl. Be lucky to find a big wheel without a rusty nail in the peddle at the garage sales around here.

dannyk likes this.