Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Names Of Love

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I sometimes refer to Amy, the love of my life, as The Law, and I have been known to call my sons Dude, and Bud or Buddie.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Post 599

There are lot, but My Darling Sugarman stands at the forefront even if I don't say it outloud often.

My dad used to affectionately refer to this three daughters as The Doodahs and he has called always called my daughter Caroline - CarolinaDinah
Sometimes I call her Carebaby

My older daughter gets to hear Emmydondon, or Emilita often.

Usually, I affectionately refer to my girls as My Dumb Babies.
There is a whole long story behind that one, but assuredly there is nothing derogatory ment or taken.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For the most part, Mrs. Lefty and I refer to each other as honey, baby, or babe, but there are hundreds and hundreds of terms that have come, gone, or evolved to such an extent that it's difficult to trace their origins. We dated for 9 years before getting married 4 years ago, so we've got a pretty big list.

A simple one is "pants". It doesn't sound very affectionate, but it comes from cutie pants (yes, we're extremely sappy, but not in public). Another is pronounced "two-ee", which comes from "two shoes", which comes from "little two shoes", which is probably from "goodie two shoes", and who knows why that would have been a starting point.

So, if you ever meet us, you won't have to wonder why one of us is being called pants and the other two-ee. You'll know that a rose called two-ee would smell as sweet.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We used to have a cat who always seemed to have some litter stuck to her paws. Though she also had hundreds of names, the litter led to poop-toes. If one of us is being mean for no good reason, the other says "stop being so poop-toes."

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I tend to call my dogs scoob............................

My buddies when growing up called everyone skippy, more of a derrogatory remark as busting on one another.............

Classydame

One of the Regulars
My ex-husband, a very long time ago, used to call me puddin'. I have always loved that endearment.

Usually, I use dear, babe, kiddo and when my son was little, munchkin.

Debroy Somers Band -- You Sweet So And So (1928)
vocal by Jack Buchanan

[video=youtube;f0K5_2nm_Kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0K5_2nm_Kk[/video]

You'll fall in love with the modern Galahad
Deep in his heart he'll extol you
But I am only a simple sort of lad
I have no pet names to call you
But now I bought thesaurus
And there I found a few
I'll sing a little chorus
Of pet names meant for you

You darling, you ducky
You sweet so and so
You sweet thing, you neat thing
You set me aglow
My fun girl, my blonde girl
My sweet this and that
Without you my life would be flat
I've lots of other names for your attention
And one or two I daren't even mention
My Venus, my goddess, Let me be your beau
And you'll be my sweet so and so

My baby, my maybe, my sweet so-and-so!
My jazz queen, my has-been, you set me aglow!
Oh, Mammy! Oh, damme! Take care what you're at--
You're making my heart pit-a-pat.
We'll join the noble army of smallholders
And build a love nest by the Green that Golders.
Tallulah! Hallelujah! In time I may grow;
Let me be your sweet so-and-so.

golders-greeen-poster1.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
For the most part, Mrs. Lefty and I refer to each other as honey, baby, or babe, but there are hundreds and hundreds of terms that have come, gone, or evolved to such an extent that it's difficult to trace their origins. We dated for 9 years before getting married 4 years ago, so we've got a pretty big list.

A simple one is "pants". It doesn't sound very affectionate, but it comes from cutie pants (yes, we're extremely sappy, but not in public). Another is pronounced "two-ee", which comes from "two shoes", which comes from "little two shoes", which is probably from "goodie two shoes", and who knows why that would have been a starting point.

So, if you ever meet us, you won't have to wonder why one of us is being called pants and the other two-ee. You'll know that a rose called two-ee would smell as sweet.
I miss Lefty. He wrote well and knew how to punctuate.

Wherefore art thou, Lefty?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Names of Love, you say? Hummm......Can't share all the secrets to success, now can I? How about...," I will show you the money"! (Just teasing).....Pookie! That is it. Plain. Simple. Pookie.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

We have an annoying commercial here in OKC where the guy calls into a radio show complaining about his girlfriend's nickname for him: "Snuggle-muffin". He's advised to start calling her "Thunder-chunky". If I had a nickname of "Snuggle-muffin", "Thunder-chunky" would be a step up from what I'd be saying. Yech!

Later

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I call my husband "handsome" it came from when we were dating and he was stationed in Japan, is used to address my emails to him as Mr. Handsome Pants, it evolved into handsome. I also call him "love" " big man" and "gigantor". He calls me "kiddo", " hot stuff" , and "pewee" mostly because I am so much smaller than him

rue

Nicknames for me: Mostly Baby-doll, doll, love and pretty lady, but also Baby, Be-be, Babe, Doll baby, My Love, Lover, beautiful.

For him: Baby, Darlin', Sweetie, sweetheart, but mostly I call him by his first name, because I like it :)

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
My buddy at work Larry, referred to his his girlfriend as, "Miss Grumples". Time and time again he said, if he lived to the age of fifty, he would marry her for putting up w/ him. The rest is a sad story. He never married his "Miss Grumples" and I miss my friend dearly. Larry died in his 40's.
R.I.P. my brother.

ortega76

Practically Family
I call my wife "Pants" because she always refers to people as "Grumpy Pants" or the like. I also call her "Cutie Bootie".

I refer to my daughter as "Beeg" which grew from calling her "Baby Girl" or "B.G."

My wife calls me "Monkey", because I do darn good monkey imitation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo