Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nametag on repro A-2 jackets

thor

Call Me a Cab
Gentlemen,

After reading through the interesting thread on painted A-2's, I was curious as to how people feel about adding a leather name tag to their repro A-2.
Not leather rank tabs, nor shoulder patches or squadron insignia, just a simple "regulation size" leather name tag (presumably with your own first two initials and last name).

Would you only add a nametag to a lower priced jacket or would you add it to your long-awaited and highly prized GW or Aero or BK A-2?

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
I have one applied to both my Goodwear and Eastman A-2s They look great and personalize the jacket. I ordered mine from MASH Co Japan.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I don't know, I think it would be fine. Though I have tended to wear my G-1s naked after retiring from the Mil.

devilish

A-List Customer
I bought a 2nd hand Eastman that has a blank one on it which looks fine but I don't think I'd put my name on it. Just because I like to keep a little anonymity.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Personal taste - I would never have a visible name on any item of clothing unless I had to for service reasons. For me it doesn't add to the beauty of the jacket and is totally unnecessary.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I always add a period nametag to my flight jackets, just in case someone tries to walk off with any of them.
At a party, someone tried to go home wearing one of my A-2's, I guess they didn't realize that it wasn't a Real McCoys or a Buzz Ricksons jacket (with the same made up name put on hundreds of jackets), but one of my Aero's.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well if it stops theft, that's a good reason to have it there. I've lost two civilian jackets at parties.

Yeah, I was lucky someone saw them heading to the door, and asked them why they had my jacket on. It's pretty low to steal someone's clothes.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Fine if you plan on keeping it permanently but if and when sold on it will decrease any resale value IMO simply because the buyer won't want someone elses' name on their jacket. Saying it can be easily removed is not the case and will leave stitch marks on the leather.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think having a past owner's first name or initials on a jacket is kind of the equivalent of purchasing a used or repro of one of those mechanic's shirts you see with a "Bill" or "Gus" stenciled on them. It's kind of cool in an anonymous way.

*Zero offense to anyone with those first names, but usually they're one syllable, and those two came to mind.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Absolutely I like a name tag on my A2, ANJ-3, B3 and C3 and with my name on each. Why ? Because a name tag separates them from every other A2 or whatever it is that's out there in the world (of which there are many) and it makes them my own, so in a small way it makes the jacket unique and the only one in the world just like mine. And I like that. It's why I paint nose/jacket art on my jackets too - it personalizes them to me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I put a name tag on my only A2, an ELC. There was a fellow at VLJ in Italy who was making fantastic leather tags.
I also put a lucky bell on it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have em on all my A2's. My GoodWear came with the original owners name tag on it. When I went to look into getting mine on it I was surprised to find that they'd sewn it right through the lining. GASP!!!! The only good thing about that situation is when I replace his with mine I won't have to worry about them having to pull out the liner to get it done... Amazing....

Worf

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I have em on all my A2's. My GoodWear came with the original owners name tag on it. When I went to look into getting mine on it I was surprised to find that they'd sewn it right through the lining. GASP!!!! The only good thing about that situation is when I replace his with mine I won't have to worry about them having to pull out the liner to get it done... Amazing....

Worf

All name tags and squadron patches should be sewn through both the leather and the lining . They's how they were all done originally .When the jackets were made they didn't have a clue who was getting them , the quartermaster just issued them . Name tags and squadron patches were added later .

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
All name tags and squadron patches should be sewn through both the leather and the lining . They's how they were all done originally .When the jackets were made they didn't have a clue who was getting them , the quartermaster just issued them . Name tags and squadron patches were added later .

That has always been my understanding. To be correct, everything gets stitched right through the lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner