Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naptha Mystery?.....

jsecunda

New in Town
Hi folks - I had my Optimo blocked and cleaned this summer. It came back in wonderful shape. However, the fumes from what ever solvent was used were overwhelming (to me and anyone nearby.) It's been over two months now and the fumes have not lessened or dissipated, which seems almost impossible to me, at least. (From using Search, it seems to me that naptha fumes dissipate in a few hours-so it probably isn't naptha.) My eyes still water when I wear it and my forehead gets a bit itchy! I love the hat (have loved it for years now). Any suggestions on how to purge this hat of solvent fumes?

Thanks as always,
JS

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Optimo style, or Optimo Hats cleaning job? I've never had any odor from their work. Most cleaning solvent odors dissipate quickly, might have a different source[huh] Odor removal products might be the way to go(ZorbX or others). But if you are having an allergic reaction re-cleaning would likely be required.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Dry it out in the sun. My cleaned Optimos (Chicago) had a faint smell which lasted a year or so. The mistake I made was to box them immediatley. Do not put them into a box immediately. Not sure if the smell as Naptha, was actually a sweetish but strongish smell (not unpleasant). As for the residue, a sponging down with distilled water might get rid of any residue. But given that there are quite a few chemicals involved in the felting process, I would not get overly concerned, unless of course you have negative skin reactions. In any case, dry them out and give them a good airing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner