Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Gray Fedora

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I need help deciding on a gray fedora to wear with suits. I like the Akubra CEO from Hats Direct, but would like something with a smaller brim. Not a stingy, but more of a med brim. I do like the price of the Akubras right now and would like to stay in that price range. Also I want a pre creased hat. Any suggestions?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Stylemaster comes to mind. Medium 2-1/2 inch brim. If you like the teardrop bash, it's a good choice.

There's also the Bogart, which has the same size brim, with a center-dent bash and a wider ribbon. However, only a couple of dealers offer it in Carbon Grey besides Black... and it's the dreaded Twelve Week Wait to get it made up. (*)

But I'm getting one - it's now ten weeks into the wait, and I expect to hear that it's shipping any day now...

(* I seem to recall that the Akubra factory also closes down for a whole month for the holidays - partly because it's awfully hot there in midsummer to be surrounded by steam-belching machines. So as we get to this time of year, the wait may be even longer than usual.)

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I like the Akubra Hampton, but it seems I'd have to wait forever to get it in gray. Right now I'm leaning towards the Stetson Saxon in steel gray. It's a little more then what I want to spend, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

carter

I'll Lock Up
D.W. Suratt said:
I need help deciding on a gray fedora to wear with suits. I like the Akubra CEO from Hats Direct, but would like something with a smaller brim. Not a stingy, but more of a med brim. I do like the price of the Akubras right now and would like to stay in that price range. Also I want a pre creased hat. Any suggestions?

What size do you wear? Another member may have something nicer than what you'd purchase and at a better price. It never hurts to ask.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I wear a 7 1/8. I've looked through the classified section but didn't see anything. I've had a lot of luck on e-bay in finding everything but a gray. It's either not my size or I get beat out :rage:

airspirit

New in Town
I like my Saxon, though the sweatband leaves something to be desired. It is a very hard feeling low quality leather which is a shame because the hat itself is very nice and the dimensions give it a very contemporary look without giving you some stingy brim Justin Timberlake effect.. I could see how if the hat fits a bit tight that sweatband could get very uncomfortable very quickly, but if it's a tad loose, it wouldn't make much difference at all.

Just a thought.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
airspirit said:
I like my Saxon, though the sweatband leaves something to be desired. It is a very hard feeling low quality leather which is a shame because the hat itself is very nice and the dimensions give it a very contemporary look without giving you some stingy brim Justin Timberlake effect.. I could see how if the hat fits a bit tight that sweatband could get very uncomfortable very quickly, but if it's a tad loose, it wouldn't make much difference at all.

Just a thought.

Thanks Airspirit, I'll keep that in mind. I always wear my hats a tad loose. A 7 will actually fit me, but I prefer the 7 1/8. It gives me just the right amount of room on most hats. On my Akubras it was real loose at first, but they all seem to have shrunk down nicely.

Naphtali

Practically Family
D.W. Suratt said:
I have two loose US size 7-1/8 hats that might meet your needs. One is a Borsalino nero color (dark gray, but not charcoal) with 2-to-2-1/8-inch brim and 2-inch black ribbon. The other is a charcoal gray Franz Bittner Alpenhut of wool. The Bittner has 2-1/2-inch front, 2-inch sides, and 2-1/4-inch rear brim and may be 7-1/4 although bought as 7-1/8. Both hats have [roughly] teardrop or "C" bashes rather than center slot.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will soon have in hand a Christy's Adventurer in the light gray. I will post photos when it arrives. Nice high, almost taper-free crown w/ a 2 1/2 x 2 7/8 dimensionally cut brim. AS these are made to order I understand you can request nominal changes with no trouble. (Bound brim, anyone?)

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Very light gray

A nice, very light gray, semi-stingy is the Worth and Worth Sardena. More of a vintage American shape than most of their other hats, dove gray with navy ribbon and binding, 2 1/8" brim. Their felt is very soft and comfortable and the Sardena is one of the nicest looking hats they make. Also, they'll add a wind trolley for cheap if you want one. They added a wind trolley and changed out the ribbon on the Aria I bought from them for free, though I wouldn't necessarily expect it for free.

A lot of their crowns taper too much for my liking (more contempo Italian shapes), but the Sardena is less like that and is a very attractive hat. I keep telling myself that I don't need one, but eventually I'll break down myself.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Well I ordered my gray hat today, but instead of going with a fedora I decided to get a porkpie. I got the fur felt Jaxon Monk from the Village Hat Shop. I know the jaxon's not considered top of the line but at $42.00 for a fur felt I can live with it. I also picked up one of their black wool porkpies. I'm a sucker for a bargin. They have free shipping on orders over $60.00. The shipping for the Monk was right at $9.00. The wool porkpie was marked down to $19.00. By ordering the wool it put my order over the $60.00. So basiclly the wool cost me a little over ten bucks. :)

And thanks to every one for the suggestions I'm sure I will still be wanting a gray fedora in the future and I'll keep those suggestions in mind.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gotta say!... my grey Penny's Marathon is just what the doctor ordered! It's the perfect look with a suit and an overcoat.
SpencerBenedict.jpg

Now my Dad's Marathons from the '50's has the lower crown and narrower brim.
DadsHat1.jpg

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles