Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help placing a date to something

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
A question:

These two IDs of my grandpas are from the same employer--A security firm long since gone here in NYC. He worked with them until April 1973, when he had a stroke.

The first card is larger, made of paper. It is not laminated. It is dated 3/7/66. On the back is a bit of information about my grandfather such as his height, weight, eye color, hair color, social and his fingerprint. It is about the size of a business card. The photograph seems to be either taped or pasted on and is block and white:
1966mra1.jpg

The second card is plastic and is laminated and is much smaller. It has no personal information on the back at all like the first. The photo is color and it doesn't seem to be taped or pasted on--but I have not checked:
save00172.jpg

img396copy2.jpg

Obviously some amount of time passed between both IDs, but oddly, both have the same issue date: 3/7/66.

I was curious--for some older people--if we could try to narrow down a date? I'm just curious because the first is very antiquated whereas the second is very much like a modern ID card except for it's size. I'd love if we could narrow it down to a specific year.

After 1966, the next photo of my grandfather is from 1969, from his Driver License:
1969driverlicensephoto2.png

He is cleanshaven but has small sideburns--One side seems to have gone gray/white as it's not really visible whereas the other side is black still.

The next photo of my grandfather is from May 1972, another Driver License photo. By then his sideburns have gone grayish and his mustache is grayish as well. It is also the first time in terms of an actual firm date that he has a mustache:
save122.jpg

Lastly we have the summer (late June or early July) of 1973, a few months after his stroke. His sideburns seem to be clearly white by now.
pethambra.jpg

Using these I was hoping we could narrow down the second ID.

Idledame

Practically Family
My guess is that the 1st one was a temporary ID, using what looks like an old passport photo. He may have brought it from home. Then when the permanent one was done that was a current photo. As I recall, young guys had long sideburns in the 50s like Elvis, but I don't recall older men having them. Then when the beatles came in 1964, John Lennon had long "sideboards", and they became very hip and cool again, even for older men. Mustaches were popular throughout the 60s and 70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo