Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative Reactions?

Kermez

A-List Customer
Do you get negative reactions from others when you dress vintage or - as I do - vintage-esque?

(I don't dress in "true" vintage, but I do wear what I consider to be classically-styled suits, shirts, ties, and pocket squares. I almost always wear a fedora.)

From my co-workers regarding my wardrobe, I receive derision almost without fail. Especially when I wear a fedora - I get "old man" comments, like maybe we should eat lunch at Luby's (I am almost 40), or I should have a "PRESS" card in my hatband... :rage:

Of course, these are the same plebians who prefer to drink Crown Royal and/or lite beer, who think rap/hip-hop is all there is to music, and who are generally around 10 years younger than me (several are single - and from my point of view it's easy to see why), so I take their opinions for what they're obviously worth, but still... :mad:

Now, otoh, from the attorneys in the firm, most of them seem to think I generally look sharp - a definite paradign shift in class between the two castes. :D

BtW - My family predominantly thinks I look classy and snappy, so there. :p

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
So frustrating! I get a lot of, "What are YOU dressed up for, anyway??" It's rude. I would never asked someone why they threw on an old pair of sweats, so I'm not sure why it works in reverse. [huh]

Kermez

A-List Customer
lazydaisyltd said:
So frustrating! I get a lot of, "What are YOU dressed up for, anyway??" It's rude.

Me, too - from girls who wear flip-flops to the office and guys who don't even own a jacket! shakeshead

Unwashed masses! :mad:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I get some nonsense I look at the source; usually guys who don't have the confidence to dress well themselves.

I remember one guy in particular; hell of a nice guy except for comments. He was heavy, awkward around women etc etc.

Otherwise I am known in a positive way for the way I dress. Why not, I Love looking sharp. [huh] [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Crabs in a bucket. Whenever one tries to climb up and out, the others pull 'im back down. If they can.

Human nature I suppose as well.

Keep doing what makes you comfortable and confident.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I were on our way back from a lodge meeting. We were in suits and were wearing hats (I recently gave him the hat bug :D ). We stopped for a beer at a somewhat trendy pool hall / nightclub. As we walked in, the bouncer said "We usually have a cover charge, but you guys are OK". So, over to the bar we go. We sit down. The bartender takes our order, pours the beers, serves them, and then retreats to the end of the bar. :cheers1: We weren't there long, about 45 minutes, and there were plenty of people, but it seemed like we had a 30-foot force field around us. No one would come near us. lol I figure they thought we were detectives or mobsters. :eek:

just_me

Practically Family
I don't dress vintage, in fact, I dress pretty casually every day (jeans, polo shirts, crocs ;) ), but I think it's incredibly rude to make disparaging comments about someone's mode of dress.

In general, it's amazing the comments people will make about a whole variety of things, not just someone wearing vintage clothing.

Kermez

A-List Customer
Yeah. Of course, these are the same people who will poke fun at me for staying home to have a cigar and "adult" beverage, while they go out drinking and "partying" - and then they're always complaining about how they're perpetually broke. Some will even occasionally try to turn around and borrow lunch money from me. (I'm a nice guy. Basically. [huh] )

I try to explain that while they're paying $10 for a drink, I'm paying $30 for a bottle, but they come back with "you can't meet people at home" to which I respond "my wife doesn't like me to date"... :eusa_doh:

Idiots. :rolleyes:

Kermez

A-List Customer
Subvet642 said:
A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I were on our way back from a lodge meeting. We were in suits and were wearing hats (I recently gave him the hat bug :D ). We stopped for a beer at a somewhat trendy pool hall / nightclub. As we walked in, the bouncer said "We usually have a cover charge, but you guys are OK". So, over to the bar we go. We sit down. The bartender takes our order, pours the beers, serves them, and then retreats to the end of the bar. :cheers1: We weren't there long, about 45 minutes, and there were plenty of people, but it seemed like we had a 30-foot force field around us. No one would come near us. lol I figure they thought we were detectives or mobsters. :eek:

That is an awesome story. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm . . . attorneys. Is it a law office? Is there a bit of a culture/class clash between the attorneys and the rest of the employess? That seems extremely common among law offices I've heard about. Sounds like you're getting class reesenment thrown into the mix.
Do the attorneys tend to lord it over the staff?

Kermez

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Do the attorneys tend to lord it over the staff?

Kool-AidMan.jpg

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I used to get that alot more than I do now. Mostly its just been the "you look like a grandpa" but not very often. I'm glad. It was annoying having to answer a bunch of lame questions about why I wear a hat. People do tend to flip out when I whip out the pocket watch though. "OMG IS THAT 4 REAL LOL?!?" (just like that too, after all, it is the 21st century and everything has to be abbreviated)
Hip-hop isn't bad, by the way. Check out Sage Francis or Atmosphere.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
dhermann1 said:
Well, remember what Shakespeare said: "First we kill all the lawyers."

Actually, Shakespeare had an autocrat say that line in the play. (At the Globe Theater, most of Shakespeare's audience were lawyers from the nearby Inns of Court.)

The underlying message was: by killing off all lawyers, one would leave the door wide open for dictators.

Geesie

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Actually, Shakespeare had an autocrat say that line in the play. (At the Globe Theater, most of Shakespeare's audience were lawyers from the nearby Inns of Court.)

The underlying message was: by killing off all lawyers, one would leave the door wide open for dictators.

Actually, Shakespeare had the comic relief, Dick the Butcher, deliver the line. It's part of a series of one-liners.

Nobody in any civilization has regarded lawyers as the bulwark against tyranny. The revision of this statement to be in praise[ of lawyers is something that only a lawyer could think up...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner