Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative Reactions?

Kermez

A-List Customer
My boss (who is, in fact, The BIG Boss) complimented me 3 out of 5 days this week, so it really is just the (envious) little people. :D

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
I take the city bus to classes and while everyone is in their jeans and sweats, which does not bother me, some wear their PJ's (cringe). After a long day of classes, and a few compliments from classmates over my hair, I was waiting for the bus, with my hair all done up in victory rolls, red lippy and my little vintage coat, when I board the bus, it's packed. A bunch of highschool girls are standing at the front, with their too tight jeans and piercings in their cheeks, of all the places, give me a dirty look and start giggling like mad in my direction - of course, I'm flustered, I'm thinking maybe my lipstick is smudged, or my hair is falling out, or that I just look silly - I am about to find a place to stand in shame when a guy I have class with stands up and offers me his seat. What a confidence boost.

Those girls looked scandalized.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Randal said:
She looks me up and down, then with a kind of snotty attitude asks "Who are you supposed to be?". "I'm sorry?" I ask. Then she asks, "I mean who are trying to dress like?". :mad: :rage:

What are you supposed to say to someone like that? Anyone else have anything similar happen?

I'm usually a "turn the other cheek" type, or answer rudeness with kindness...but every now and then, with someone firing off a snarky remark (there's no doubt), snarky begets snarkier. I think I might've fired back,

"Well, ma'am, I like to wear vintage. However, I would never DATE vintage."

irb

Familiar Face
Randal said:
She looks me up and down, then with a kind of snotty attitude asks "Who are you supposed to be?". "I'm sorry?" I ask. Then she asks, "I mean who are trying to dress like?". :mad: :rage:

What are you supposed to say to someone like that? Anyone else have anything similar happen?

Well, I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago and my response was, "Myself. What are you supposed to be, a car thief?"

Not being typically prone to spontaneous fits of wit, I was somewhat proud of that response.

Orsini

Familiar Face
Kermez said:
lol Holy crap, that is a fantabulously GREAT answer! :eusa_clap
Thank you. Glad you like it. I guess that would be the Noel Coward resonse...

A nice variation for when the questioner is a friend is: "Because I knew that you were going to be here!"

Or, you can spread enlightenment by explaining why it is so important to always look your best whenever you step out of your door: you get better service, you are taken more seriously in a business environment, and you never know who you are going to meet: the love of your life, the team owner that is going to give you a ride in Formula 1, the high roller that is going to fund your big scheme, etc...

Or, if you are not feeling clever, you can always fall back on: "What's it to ya, bub?"

Tikismall

New in Town
I was at a nightclub and a woman walked up to me and said:
"I just had to compliment you, I love to see another lady after my own heart!"
She was very kind and she was wearing a super cute skirt with blouse combo/pearls and red lips. We both had a laugh about our clutches being the same too.
Things like that don't happen all the time to me.

I get some giggles from the teenage girls in the mall, young boys tend to be a bit perplexed at times and I have had grown women stop and stare at me and wax impolite about me amongst their friends. Some people think you should apologize for how you choose to style yourself or how you are as a person. I find that it's just insecurity of difference and ignorance of history.

My co-workers saw me in jeans on a laundry day and they told me I looked "normal". lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR