Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative Reactions?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had a great couple of days. Needed to get away ... went to the mountains. Dressed like I normally do Lucchese Classics, Fed Deluxe IV, leather jacket. The reactions I received were phenomenal.

Ranged from looks I would get when I hang out in Greenwich Village, NY to a very beautiful woman asking me if I was a "fun guy". Compliments from other men about my clothes. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The only negative reaction I had was to something I ate. :p

I guess you get what you need in life. [huh]

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Worst comment I've ever had was from a co-worker a few months ago. After working together for a few weeks he asked me very seriously, "So what is with you and the '70's?" :eusa_doh: lol

Most of the time I get the same repetitive comments and questions, "do you always dress like that?", "why are you so dressed up?" and the like. For the most part people around here have gotten used to me, no one says much anymore.

One of my fears when meeting new people is that, like my co-worker, they aren't going to get the look and I suppose, to be fair, I most likely don't get their look (especially if it is the ugg/sweats combo).

No matter what the reaction, the opinions of others concerning my appearance really don't matter. I dress for myself.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Showed up to a advertising awardshow once wearing tux.

Most of the other men - trying hard to look casual and "I really don't care for this". While many of the ladies attending were in their best.
One guy I know came up to me and asked:
"Hey, you are really dressed up, huh?"
I answered him:
"Yes - and I do get a lot of sex tonight!"
;)

P.S. I also recieved an award that night. Double fun!lol

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carlisle Blues said:
Had a great couple of days. Needed to get away ... went to the mountains. Dressed like I normally do Lucchese Classics, Fed Deluxe IV, leather jacket. The reactions I received were phenomenal.

Ranged from looks I would get when I hang out in Greenwich Village, NY to a very beautiful woman asking me if I was a "fun guy". Compliments from other men about my clothes. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The only negative reaction I had was to something I ate. :p

I guess you get what you need in life. [huh]

I thought I would zero replies to my post.

As it turns out the woman who asked if I was a "fun guy" was a gardener type and clarified her question with "Fungi". ( I ordered mushrooms)

I guess a "negative reaction" is in the mind of the beholder. I do not give too much time or credence to the negative people in this universe.shakeshead

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
ClaraB said:
Worst comment I've ever had was from a co-worker a few months ago. After working together for a few weeks he asked me very seriously, "So what is with you and the '70's?" :eusa_doh: lol

Most of the time I get the same repetitive comments and questions, "do you always dress like that?", "why are you so dressed up?" and the like. For the most part people around here have gotten used to me, no one says much anymore.

One of my fears when meeting new people is that, like my co-worker, they aren't going to get the look and I suppose, to be fair, I most likely don't get their look (especially if it is the ugg/sweats combo).

No matter what the reaction, the opinions of others concerning my appearance really don't matter. I dress for myself.

Of course, I wasn't there, and I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, sometimes to a fault, but it sounds to me like just a very clumsy attempt to open the subject with you.

So, let's put it another way, so that you can give us all a serious and thoughtful answer that will enlighten us, educate us, and give us a glimpse of who you are inside, what you like, and why:

So what is with you and the 70's?

ClaraB said:

Interesting.
"There is nothing with me and the 1970s. I hated that time period, the clothes and the leaders."
That would set them back on their ears. ;) :p

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Got a "hey dude it's not the '80s anymore" while wearing an eight panel and swiss army overcoat the other day.

Gotta remind folks that like The Man said:
"Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."--John Wayne

There's a certain schadenfreude in that whatever difficulties they give ou, to riff on an Einsteinian theme, theirs are far greater.

:eek: John Wayne and Albert Einstein invoked almost in the same breath? Who woulda seen that coming?!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
My goodness, it seems my post made me sound rather atrocious! I apologize.
Bourbon Guy said:
it sounds to me like just a very clumsy attempt to open the subject with you.
Bourbon Guy is entirely right, I'm sure that was what my co-worker was doing and I understand the clumsy attempt, I've made many myself.
I do believe I answered my co-worker with something like, "I don't know, I never really cared much for the '70's, but I was once infatuated with the '80's."
Not that this erases my record of acting as a snobbish beast a few posts up the page, or really proves much of anything other than the fact that I claim I just didn't ignore the guy.

Dinerman said:
Got a "hey dude it's not the '80s anymore" while wearing an eight panel and swiss army overcoat the other day.
How'd you reply to that?

ClaraB said:
Not that this erases my record of acting as a snobbish beast a few posts up the page, or really proves much of anything other than the fact that I claim I just didn't ignore the guy.
I wouldn't say "snobbish"--if you mean the post I think you do, I'd say it's indicative of an understanding of the proper role of 'casual' versus 'proper social' attire (you'd probably have the opposite problem with me from my 'all-professional-all-the-time-even-on-vacation' styling), and you showed a bit more self-confidence than I think you realize with that "I dress for myself, not others" line.:)

And if you think you're a "beast", then I must cringe at what you'd think [voice=Dr. Evil]Mr. Powers[/voice] and I are...:( :cry:

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
and you showed a bit more self-confidence than I think you realize with that "I dress for myself, not others" line.:)
:eek:fftopic:
I admit that scared me a bit when I reread it. I've been on this super assertive, "I don't need anyone but me," kick since I was dumped a few months ago.
Okay, that is the end of that.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:

Actually, military overcoats, especially european ones were kind of in in the eighties, and were not for a while. So his comment makes a little sense. But why would anyone bother to make such a comment on such an obscure observation. Besides that, the jokes on him, because the eighties are back, with a vengence.

Diamondback said:
I wouldn't say "snobbish"--if you mean the post I think you do, I'd say it's indicative of an understanding of the proper role of 'casual' versus 'proper social' attire (you'd probably have the opposite problem with me from my 'all-professional-all-the-time-even-on-vacation' styling), and you showed a bit more self-confidence than I think you realize with that "I dress for myself, not others" line.:)

And if you think you're a "beast", then I must cringe at what you'd think [voice=Dr. Evil]Mr. Powers[/voice] and I are...:( :cry:

Hey, hey! Not one of us is a beast. Assertive yes, beast no. ;) :p
This is The Beast:
Beastastonishing.jpg

Ok, all cleared up now. :p

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i wear a leather g-1 with various patches almost everyday and some people say something like, "what's with the jacket?"

then i look at the hoodie, sweatpants, and flipflops they have on...

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
then i look at the hoodie, sweatpants, and flipflops they have on...

Ugh. Flip flops. Somewhere along the way this became the normal wardrobe for people our age. Oh how far we've fallen.

Be proud of that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn