Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nehru Jackets

hksj

New in Town
This isn't something I could see myself wearing but, I saw photos of a few and wondered: what's the opinion on Nehru jackets now that the '60s are over? Were they basically just a hipster/hippie thing during that era?

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Nehru

For me this jacket will forvever be Sammy Davis Jr. on "laugh-In". lol

SC :D

Groovy man, groovy I need some more love beads with my Nehru man!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Sean Connery made one look pretty cool in Dr. No. I especially liked the little touch of a carefully folded white handkerchief tucked into the breast pocket. Of course, Connery pretty much made all the clothes in that film look good.
I'll check to see if I can find a clear picture.
With the right attitude, I thimk they look pretty cool.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Frankly, they looked very good on Prime Minister Nehru himself.

nehru_j.jpg

I hang out at a bar where one of the bartenders was of Indian descent. He shows up at a party wearing a bespoke white nehru with black trousers and he was the sharpest looking man in the room. You may think a certain style will never work for anyone, but then someone comes along to prove you wrong. (Did I relate my 70s leisure suit story on the Lounge before? I forget.)

Regards,

Senator Jack

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
I hang out at a bar where one of the bartenders was of Indian descent. He shows up at a party wearing a bespoke white nehru with black trousers and he was the sharpest looking man in the room. You may think a certain style will never work for anyone, but then someone comes along to prove you wrong. (Did I relate my 70s leisure suit story on the Lounge before? I forget.)

Isn't personal style all about knowing what works for you, and then carrying it off? I'd say that was a fine example.

Salv

One Too Many
I quite like them too, after seeing the Nehru suits that Brit designer Scott Crolla was selling in the mid-80s. I've been looking for photos of Crollas suits but can't find any online - I'm sure I have some in a back issue of The Face or Arena, but they're all out in the garage and I can't be bothered to dig through piles of old magazines. Maybe if I get time over the weekend I'll venture out there.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
I hang out at a bar where one of the bartenders was of Indian descent.

that's the thing... he was of Indian descent. the nehru is so bound up with connotations of India that if a white guy wears one he comes across like Tony Blair or Prince Charles on holiday and 'going native'. i'm sorry but if you're not dark skinned i think they look naff.

Haversack

One Too Many
What is it about the Nehru Jacket that is off-putting? Is it the closed standing collar? If so, then why doesn't the Austrian Steireranzug or the Bavarian Janker elicit similar disdain? The collars and silhouette are very similar. Or is it its association with the 1960s? Or is it that it is seen as being culturally specific?

Haversack.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Haversack said:
What is it about the Nehru Jacket that is off-putting?
/QUOTE]

please read my above post again. it is the associations. it is not that the collar style is unflattering. in fact collars that frame the face are very flattering. unfortunately some styles just get laden with too much baggage. the beret might be another example. for most people beret=frenchman. it is one of my pet peaves about the wiring of the human brain that associations stick, and we cannot see a thing for what it is devoid of all connotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21