Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" 1967 Peacoat - return it or keep it?

Cole

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I got the 1967 Kersey Wool Peacoat with curdory pockets that I ordered from vintagetrends.com. The peacoat is in perfect condition and the body fit is about perfect in my opinion (Size 42 and I have a chest measurement of 44,5").

Sadly the sleeves are at least an inch to short (if not two). With my arms down it ain't that much of a problem, but as soon as I rais my arms a little it becomes obvious, that there is some length missing.

I still got a little more than 24 hours left to decide if I keep it or burn 88 $ of s&h (44 $ to germany and about 44$ to send it back).

What's your opinion?

The pictures where made at 6:50 a.m., so excuse the deranged look on my face. :)
peacoat1.jpg

peacoat2.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great coat! This is what happens with peacoats when you wear them. It's part of their construction....raise the arms and the sleeves will look too short!
When you stand relaxed with your arms down the sleeves don't look too short at all.

You could damp the whole coat in your shower (hot water for about 10 minutes with the sink locked). After that gently stretch the sleeves and let the jacket air dry. That should help at least a bit!

But I really think that your jacket fits great!

Cole

One of the Regulars
OK I have some experience when it comes to alter leather jackets (washing machine, Alcohol etc.) but I am a total novice when it is up to wool garments.

How could I stretch the sleeves in a way that it is even and does not look, well, strange and uneven?

Cole

One of the Regulars
Just don't walk around with your arms up like that.

Well it is not like the effect only appears while doing the Zombie walk. When I bent down to reach something on a knee level high the arms get very short as well and since we've got a 14 month old daugther I will be reaching down quite a bit this winter I fear.

VT has another interesting peacoat from the 50's right now (which has sleeves that are 2" longer), but they list it a Melton wool. I thought that allmost all pre 80's peacoats where made from Kersey. Still VT lists a lot of 50's, 60's and 70's peacoats as made from Melton. :confused:

Peacoat

Bartender
VT has another interesting peacoat from the 50's right now (which has sleeves that are 2" longer), but they list it a Melton wool. I thought that allmost all pre 80's peacoats where made from Kersey. Still VT lists a lot of 50's, 60's and 70's peacoats as made from Melton. :confused:

Although VT does a fairly good job dating its peacoats, it really gets confused when determining the fabric. There were a few contracts prior to 1980 that used Melton wool, but all that I have seen have "Melton Wool" plainly marked on the tag. The rest should be Kersey wool even if not so marked. If you ask them about it, they will usually clarify the type of wool. I think Jan, or another of our members, asked them about a coat marked as Melton, and was told it was actually Kersey. Always double check their dates with what I have posted in the sticky.

For future reference, a size 42 peacoat should have an arm length of about 26", depending on where on the sleeve seam it is measured. As you have now learned, it is best to always ask for a sleeve measurement. Most are not altered, but that 5% will get you.

Peacoat

Bartender
The right sleeve looks a little short, and the left looks just fine. Could be the way the coat is situated on your body. Have you checked to see if there is extra material at the cuff? If so, the cuffs could be let out--an easy fix.

In Germany you will probably be wearing a sweater under the coat most of the time. The cuffs on a sweater can be shortened a bit so they don't show below the sleeve the way your shirt cuff is showing in the first picture.

Don't think I would want to trade that peacoat in on another one because of the length of the sleeves. But you are the one who will be wearing the coat, and you must please yourself. What we think really doesn't matter much. The coat that has sleeves 2" longer would be too long for you.

Cole

One of the Regulars
Both sleeves are 25.6" after my measurement. The right one only looks smaller because the shirt sleeve on the left arm is hold up by the watch.

Honestly I didn't even think about geting the sleeves lengthened until now. Yes, there seems to be about 2" extra material at the cuff, so a tailor should be able to get me another 1" or 1.5" of sleeve length I guess. That would definetly be cheaper than sending the coat back and buy a new one. Especially since the rest of the fit is great.

Thanks for the tip. :eusa_clap

Cole

One of the Regulars
I brought it to the tailor after work and can pick it up on wednesday. He's leting the sleeves out 1,5". I'm looking forward to the result and hope he doesn't screw my peacoat up. :eeek:

kyboots

Practically Family
I agree with the majority and would keep the coat, it looks great on you. Measure your real arm length because I too think the right was a tad bit shorter or the arm a "tad bit longer" or whatever! A good looking coat, no one would ever notice even if you do nothing. I would not send this back. Enjoy.---John

Peacoat

Bartender
I brought it to the tailor after work and can pick it up on wednesday. He's leting the sleeves out 1,5". I'm looking forward to the result and hope he doesn't screw my peacoat up. :eeek:

Letting the sleeves out is an easy job. It should be OK. Glad the coat had that extra material. A 1967 peacoat is a nice one to have. It was the last year for the corduroy handwarmer pockets.

Cole

One of the Regulars
OK, so I finaly hat the sleeves let out another inch and the button holes fixed. I'm pretty happy with the endresult and glad that I kept this Peacoat.

peacoat5.jpg

peacoat6.jpg

peacoat7.jpg

peacoat8.jpg

peacoat9.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great coat, perfect fit, dead on sleeve length, corduroy pockets and loads of style - what more could you ask for?

Good pictures as well!

Are those boots Iron Rangers? If so they look well worn in. Nice match for your coat!!

green papaya

One Too Many
Im surprised a size 42 peacoat fits if you have a size 44" chest measurement? it's best to keep it since it would cost too much to have sent it back, plus it looks like it fits good now

you could just resell it later if you decide you need a different size

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Looks great Cole. I know sleeve length can be subjective but I'd have to say if you're wearing a cold-weather coat and your shirt cuffs are showing, the sleeves are too damn short. I'm glad the alteration worked out as well as it did. Lately, men seem to be wearing undersized clothing which frankly looks to me as if they raided their sister's wardrobe. An example:
84652_1260994167.jpg

Cole

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments.

@Jan
The boots are Diesel Cassidy boots. The toes and lower build looks very equal to the 8111 Iron Rangers.
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=549150&CategoryID=21473

@Green Papaya
The chest measurement was never a problem. I ordered the peacoat after reading the very helpful sticky in this forum and it fits very comfortable and stil has room for some layering. My problem was the sleeve length. Thank god there has been enough spare material in the cuffs to let the sleeves out some more.

@Jack Burton
I agree 100%. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy