Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 50's Moss Resistol

Davidson

One of the Regulars
From OFAS. I needed (OK, wanted) a hat in this color, and I really liked this one. 3 1/2" brim, 5 1/4" crown as now blocked. I like the ribbon.

I don't like how I look in a cattleman-type crown with the high wide front. Suggestions on alternate crown and brim shapes for a hat of these dimensions? (Plenty to work with:) )

Jerekson

One Too Many
Easy. Send it to JPD or VS, have them reblock it on a no.52-type block, cut the brim down to 2 5/8 in., add a black bound edge and a black 1 in. ribbon.

At least, that's what I would do. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this hat has alot of potential. I would suggest that you look around at some of the older posts on this board, and find a style that you would like - then send it to someone and have them work on it.

OR, if you're not into the whole reblocking thing, then try this; wet the brim all the way around with a spritzer and place the hat on a counter or table. Then press the brim flat (I used textbooks to hold mine down, but do as you please). Let it dry, and then you can steam it or wet it into whatever style brim you want.

The crown; pop out the dents from the inside, then wet the crown. Let it dry in the open form and you should be able to put in a nice new bash.

Regards,

Jerekson

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jerekson! I probably should have said, I'd like to try to keep the original 3.5" bound brim and hatband, just probably change the shape of the brim and crown.

I like the looks of the Texan and Classic at the John Wayne memorial collection at http://www.limpiacreekhats.com/default.asp?f=offers

I guess my main question is, since I want to keep the big brim, what to do with it without it looking too cliche western, or like a floppy brim sunhat, or just flat...I might just wear it backwards, sort of a rectangular Gus.

Was there a version of the Boss of the Plains with a bound edge? Were all BOTP flat-top?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Great hat. Try steaming it with a slightly more fedora-esque bash, like the one in that link you posted.

Feraud

Bartender
I just got this sweet Stetson Whippet in moss green.
Here are a few inspiration shots for ya.
DSC00813.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

Duck

Practically Family
Nice hat, Davidson!! Love the moss green color. I am thinking I now need to find me a moss green hat.:p
Feraud, the Whippet is sweeeeet!!!!!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to send this off topic but...

Feraud, nice hat. I also like the jacket. What jacket is that? It looks military for some reason.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Feraud, that's gorgeous! That may be the first thing I try, a "Jumbo Whippet" knockoff:)

Deanglen, for some reason I'm not surprised at your suggestion:) I agree it's completely appropriate for the hat, except maybe the ribbon - that I don't know about, but I'm not interested in historical accuracy anyway. I'll give that crown shape a try. I also think a flatter brim makes the width less noticeable. Thanks!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Davidson said:
Deanglen, for some reason I'm not surprised at your suggestion:) I agree it's completely appropriate for the hat, except maybe the ribbon - that I don't know about, but I'm not interested in historical accuracy anyway. I'll give that crown shape a try. I also think a flatter brim makes the width less noticeable. Thanks!

I knew you wouldn't be surprisedlol , and I don't think the ribbon width is really a problem, those hats had 5/8" grosgrain ribbons. The flatter brim comes from the apparently practical concern western fellows had with better sun/rain protection. The turned up brim appears to be a 20th century novelty for looks. You could try it and see how it looks. Otherwise a nice center dent with or without side dents in front or even a nice c-crown would be great with the brim in a front-droop, rear curl-up style. Nice hat! Feraud's is terrific, too!;)

dean

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Davidson: That will be one sweet looking hat once you choose a shape you like and form it. Right now it has a very Hank Williams Sr. or a 1950's rodeo star feel to it.

Feraud: That is one mighty fine looking Whippet. My jealousies to you sir. It has a nice fresh look to it. I've been looking around for a green hat for some time now, but they are as hard to find as a snipe.

Great looking hats gentlemen! I can't wait to see what you do with this one Davidson. It should be a pip! One thing though, I would keep the feather just for the fun of it.:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the compliments fellas.

thunderw21 said:
Feraud, nice hat. I also like the jacket. What jacket is that? It looks military for some reason.
Believe it or not, this jacket is from The Gap. It is a few years old and I bought it because it has a military look to it. The jacket is a cotton/linen blend and the finish feels like waxed canvas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot