Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Bootlegger v. 2.0 CXL Brown

dannyk

One Too Many
Seeing them all in a row there things to like about all of them, take your pick. But I stand by my statement about that cordovan color. This one wins the color contest. It’s stated above I do remember marveling at the color is number 2. But even that has nothing on this ones color.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Update! Bootlegger 3.0 has arrived well ahead of expectations and it did not dissapoint! At first glance the 3 probably seem quite similar but there are subtle differences that with each revision made the jacket a little bit better for me. This iteration features the a1 epaulettes, single yoke back (no gussets), standard cuff with storm cuffs (which allows for considerable more arm room), deleted lapel button hole, add throat latch and hand warmer zips.

The chest zip closes upward toward the shoulder. Lined in brown corduroy, OD drill in the sleeves, contrast OD stitching. The biggest change however might not be visible. I added 1/2" to each side panel and this makes a world of difference. 2.0 was an excellent fit with just a t-shirt under it. But I really couldn't get anything else under it and that really hindered it's use. The additional 1/2" to each side has made the jacket much more wearable with layers without sacrificing a slim profile.
Below are a couple pics. The light here is awful but the fit can be seen pretty well. Huge thanks to Carrie and from Tony with a "y" to Toni with an "I" at Aero, thank you very much!
Here are some right out the box pics of the bootaviator:
View attachment 155062
View attachment 155063
View attachment 155060
View attachment 155059

That’s a beautiful jacket! And it also looks comfortable to wear as well. This is a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Congrats Ton!
XLTn.gif

P.S. *With A-2 epaulettes (not A-1 'cause A-1 didn't have epaulettes, but A-2 did have them).

As much as I love sleeve zippers, these HWM style cuffs simply work best with this style and the epaulets have more of an effect on the overall look of the jacket than I expected they ever would. I think you've made the best choice possible by avoiding any (serious) mods and I agree with @jacketjunkie that the back is nicer without the gussets.
It's odd but while this style may appear similar to a cross zip motorcycle jacket, it's really something else. Somehow works best just being what it is.
It does look most vintage-y this way, though, at least to me.

All three jackets look fantastic and the hide on the second one... That thing must've been heavy.

As much as I love sleeve zippers, these HWM style cuffs simply work best with this style and the epaulets have more of an effect on the overall look of the jacket than I expected they ever would. I think you've made the best choice possible by avoiding any (serious) mods and I agree with @jacketjunkie that the back is nicer without the gussets.
It's odd but while this style may appear similar to a cross zip motorcycle jacket, it's really something else. Somehow works best just being what it is.
It does look most vintage-y this way, though, at least to me.

All three jackets look fantastic and the hide on the second one... That thing must've been heavy.
Totally man...I wanted to get it as far away from the biker feel as possible. I was really going for something that looked more like a military/utility jacket which is what the stock pattern has always reminded me of (couple tiny tweaks and done). The hide on 2.0 was far thicker and overall more grainy right away.
For color I would rank them: 3, 2, 1
For hide quality (thickness/grain): 2,1,3
For fit/wear-ability: 3,2,1 (depending on what you're after).

All three are wonderful jackets and this simple pattern scratches me right where I itch.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket and nice color, Ton!! I really like all of your jackets - I even was searching for your new Buzz Rickson for a while ended in realizing that this is not my type of jacket as it looks like it is made for you!!

Hh121

Banned
I realized pictures can be very deceiving, 2 and 1 as well as your j23 may look perfect in picture but it might be little too tight in actual wearing, so 3 maybe the most comfortable one to wear which is most important fact.

I realized pictures can be very deceiving, 2 and 1 as well as your j23 may look perfect in picture but it might be little too tight in actual wearing, so 3 maybe the most comfortable one to wear which is most important fact.
Yeah the LW j23...I could literally barely move in it...It was great for standing still in front of the iPad though. I imagine if I had given it more time it would have softened up...but I'm tired of fighting with heavy leather...

AlexB

One of the Regulars
Yeah the LW j23...I could literally barely move in it...It was great for standing still in front of the iPad though. I imagine if I had given it more time it would have softened up...but I'm tired of fighting with heavy leather...

First reason to own a jacket is to wear it, for sure not to pose in front of a mirror and as you said you don’t want to suffer years to hope for stretch and the leather to soften up. I went through the same process with my new Ridley [emoji6]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Totally man...I wanted to get it as far away from the biker feel as possible. I was really going for something that looked more like a military/utility jacket which is what the stock pattern has always reminded me of (couple tiny tweaks and done). The hide on 2.0 was far thicker and overall more grainy right away.
For color I would rank them: 3, 2, 1
For hide quality (thickness/grain): 2,1,3
For fit/wear-ability: 3,2,1 (depending on what you're after).

All three are wonderful jackets and this simple pattern scratches me right where I itch.
well said.....

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s a delicate dance between jacket pattern and the ever increasing gut fat, which moves one inexorably away from cross zips and into the realm in which we find ourselves inhabiting now....the dad jacket zone of A2’s and half belts and all the inevitable amalgams thereof.

Not a problem for Tony. Gut fat is scared to come anywhere near his abdomen!(I admit I say this with a mixture of awe and envy! lol)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I ordered a customized Bootlegger with Aero just a week ago. Went with zipsleeves (hidden CR style), a Irvin fur collar and slightly different pocket set up. Wasn't sure at first whether or not to go through with it because the multiple extra charges moved the jacket into new high territory for me, but boiii.. looking at those great pictures in this thread, I know I did the right thing.

Btw, Aero measures sleeve length differently than most of us here in sale threads, here's a picture Holly sent me:
IMG_2003.JPG

This turned finding the right sleeve length to put on the order a bit of a hassle and I'm still afraid I may have gone too long. Mind measuring yours sleevelength in the fashion shown above and tell me? Maybe that helps. @ton312

AlexB

One of the Regulars
I ordered a customized Bootlegger with Aero just a week ago. Went with zipsleeves (hidden CR style), a Irvin fur collar and slightly different pocket set up. Wasn't sure at first whether or not to go through with it because the multiple extra charges moved the jacket into new high territory for me, but boiii.. looking at those great pictures in this thread, I know I did the right thing.

Btw, Aero measures sleeve length differently than most of us here in sale threads, here's a picture Holly sent me:
View attachment 155237

This turned finding the right sleeve length to put on the order a bit of a hassle and I'm still afraid I may have gone too long. Mind measuring yours sleevelength in the fashion shown above and tell me? Maybe that helps. @ton312

I just went through the process with Carrie (from Thurston) and received my jacket two weeks ago (see here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-perfection-my-new-cordovan-fqhh-ridley.96343/)
I was also very concerned when providing the measurements as I went with 29.5 inches for arm length, which I have never seen before on any jacket here or on Thurston's or Aeros sales page.

The best way is to use a jacket that fits you well as reference. Just include a picture of the tailors tape placed on this jacket plus a picture of you wearing the jacket. Aero than can do the math and check whether your measurements make sense.

Be aware that the arms become significantly shorter when the creasing takes place. On the contrary, the arms will become a little longer when the shoulders mold to your body and all the seams become softer.

Hope this helps!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Be aware that the arms become significantly shorter when the creasing takes place. On the contrary, the arms will become a little longer when the shoulders mold to your body and all the seams become softer.

Hope this helps!

Sleeve shrinkage really depends on how long your sleeves are to start with.
IMO the sleeves of your Ridley are too long in the first place, meaning they stack on your wrist, that will cause a lot of creasing and shortening of the sleeve.
If you start out with a shorter sleeve that doesn't rest on your wrist you won't have all that stacking, and you won't have much if any sleeve shortening.
If anything, like you say the sleeve will actually lengthen a bit as the shoulders relax and drop.

The whole "you should order longer because sleeves shrink" hasn't applied to any of my leather jackets.
IMO this is how you end up with too long a sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner