Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero FQHH Half-belt arrived...Breaking in question.

technovox

One Too Many
Hi Guys,
I'm still on the Aero learning curve here. I just received my first brand new Aero, and it's a beauty. It's a 30's half-belt in FQHH black. The arms are the perfect length, the body is the perfect length, I love the style and quality, the lining, the hardware. Everything about it. But the only thing I'm concerned about is that the shoulders are too tight. The shoulder area actually seems to unnaturally fold where it's pulling. I have relatively wide shoulders. I've been told that since it's horsehide, the shoulders will stretch out by about an inch. It just needs some breaking in. I have no problems with breaking it in, in fact I rather relish the experience. But I don't want to go through the trouble and then find out months or a year down the line the jacket is still too tight and always will be. I've never owned Aero horsehide or any horsehide before. Every leather jacket I've owned or still own has comfortably fit right from the beginning, but they've all been steerhide, or cowhide. Has anyone else found that their Aero FQHH jacket was too tight to begin with but it eventually stretched out to mold to their particular body? Is this typical of Aero horsehide? Am I deluding myself here?

Not so sure about the shoulders stretching with only wear and natural movement.
What I can say for sure is my first Aero FQHH(Highwayman)did stretch and become comfortable across my lower shoulderblades and under my arms. When I first received it I was so concerned about it being tight that I emailed Ken..seriously contemplating sending it back. He advised to not be in a hurry and wearing it for a few weeks..and that it would loosen up. Turned out to be good advice! It did and eventually fit like a glove.
So I advise contacting Ken at Aero and send photos as well.
HD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm right in your boat technovox with a new Aero as well. Mine is relatively tight but it's because of the stiff horsehide.
My t-shirt sleeves also get caught up a bit in the pits and you don't want to see me struggle to get the thing on and off.
I'm pretty sure yours will be fine in time.
If you want some security, whip out the measure and measure the shoulders and pit/pits of your Aero and compare it with other jackets that you have.
Also, examine the fit in the mirror (or post pics here).

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
I'm right in your boat technovox with a new Aero as well. Mine is relatively tight but it's because of the stiff horsehide.
My t-shirt sleeves also get caught up a bit in the pits and you don't want to see me struggle to get the thing on and off.
I'm pretty sure yours will be fine in time.
If you want some security, whip out the measure and measure the shoulders and pit/pits of your Aero and compare it with other jackets that you have.
Also, examine the fit in the mirror (or post pics here).

Thanks for the advice. I've already measured. The shoulder measurement on all my other leather jackets is typically 19" or better . The Aero half-belt comes in at a snug 18" (size 40.) Also, here in San Francisco, it's handy to layer up. Often it'll be fog and wind out the door, and by the time I'm downtown it will be sunny. And I'm not sure I can fit even a light sweater under this jacket.

technovox

One Too Many
I just measured my two size 40 FQHH '30s HalfBelts. Both are 19" across shoulders.

HD

Interesting! Did your two Half-belts stretch from 18" to 19" with wearing and breaking in? Or were they originally 19"?
(Maybe mine was made a little smaller?)

Last edited:
Interesting! Did your two Half-belts stretch from 18" to 19" with wearing and breaking in? Or were they originally 19"?
(Maybe mine was made a little smaller?)

I don't believe they stretched. Both are 19" exactly...and I think they were made to that measurement.
Contact Aero and ask what the shoulder measurement should be for a size 40 '30s HalfBelt. I would bet it should be 19".
HD

wdw

One Too Many
From what I've seen, Aero measurements on the same size and type of jacket can vary a little, not least because they're made by humans and people request so many size tweaks. My first 40" HWM had 19" shoulders, but my latest has 19.5". I'd have preferred the 19, but it's only 0.25 difference a shoulder and Aero do say that accuracy can only be to within half an inch.

If HD says his shoulders stretched, then there's hope for technovox. HD, what's the shoulder size of your HWM?.

schitzo

Suspended
18" does seem a bit narrow for a size 40, but then again it is a 30s HB and those are meant to fit slim.

Anyone else got a size 40 30s HB?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Just give it a few weeks time wearing it. If it's still too tight I'm sure Aero will take it back and make a new one. I'ld rather have my jacket trimmer, the shoulders are half an inch too wide... But then, it's a leather-jacket, not a made-to-measure suit. ;) And as such, there's not a lot that beats FQHH.

Enough

One of the Regulars
I would send it back and get a 19 inch shoulder width. Horsehide can take quite a while to fully break in and if you can't wear an extra layer underneath you don't have a completely functional jacket.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
My 38 across the shoulders measures 17".

Personally, I would give it time. I'm usually a size 40 in a suit and initially the 38 felt pretty snug. I actually was able to try both the 40 and 38 on and initially I felt the 40 was the better fit. However, I was steered toward the 38 as I was told that the leather will soften and stretch a bit.

Now that it's worn in, it fits perfect. Really of all my jackets, that one fits the best and feels like a second skin. That said, I do prefer a jacket that is more on the fitted size. My 30's halfbelt is good from t-shirt to light sweater.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My size 40 30`s halfbelt is 18.5" across shoulders.

I put the jacket flat tummy down and measured across to the shoulderpoints seam to seam.

Pit to pit is about 23.6"
Very end of jacket across 20,5"
Back (collar seam to end of jacket backpanel 24.4"
Front (zipper kinda) 22.2"

technovox

One Too Many
I've taken a few pics of the new Aero. Does anyone know the .jpg file size limit, or typical .jpg size for uploading photos here? The photos don't seem to be uploading for me.
thanks

Don't try to upload.

ScreenShot2012-08-30at24742PM.png

Doublegun

Practically Family
When I received my first Aero, a FQHH LHB, I had the same concerns. It was so stiff and tight I could barely get it zipped and I was sure that they had screwed up. I followed suggestions from this forum and the more I wore the better it felt. The jacket will relax when it warms due to your body heat and it will relax.

I received my 2-pocket Cafe, considerably tighter design than my LHB and again, wearing it has made it relax and fit my body perfecty. Heck, when I first got it I put it on over a tee-shirt and wore it around the house doing chores then took a nap wearing it. Perfect fit in no time.

My advice: unless the shoulder measurements are waaaaaay off, put it on and wear it as often as you can, regardless of weather, and don't coddle it. These jackets are virtually indestructible and are meant to be worn hard and worn hard for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran