Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Amelia Earhart Movie

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Yeah but I think he would have been sitting in a fruit stand or something? When we re-reviewed the original casting call we realized it said "caucasian". I couldn't apply because they didn't want girls with bold hi lites in their hair (not period correct)

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Over the last couple of days we have completed filming the interior aircraft scenes with Richard and Hilary.
Last night we did some excellent evening air to air shots using a helicopter.
The Dunnville shoot will be next on my list. I will have 15 a/c in that scene alone. Shoot should take 3 days.
After that, some air to air with my airplane.
That will complete aerials in Ontario.
I confirm we are looking for extras for Dunnville. At that location we will recreate the 1930's Womans Air Races and need many extras to be the crowd.We are desperate as suggested in this thread however the more you advertise the more publicity you get.

Fleet16

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal

As a pilot myself, I would hope that your opinion is based on you being one also.
Earhart flew for many years and yes had a few mishaps but no more than any other pilot male of female of her day.
Actually, she broke many records and on some aircraft, the Autogyro,for example, her ability was better than anyone else's.
History has never shown or stated that she was the worlds best female pilot
Yes she may have as you say " bit off more than she could chew but so did
many other pilots sports figures etc over the years.
I think that Charles Lindbergh said it best.
Loosely quoted:
Anyone can critisize a pilot for flying into a mountain in fog or at night but what man would live without daring or adventure ...is it not far better to die
on a mountain side than in a bed.

Fleet61b

59Lark

Practically Family
proof is in the pudding.

The authour that published that dusty volume had found airplane parts that came from the same kind of aircraft, he had found villlagers that saw a american woman that looked like amelia, being held by the japanese. How many american aircraft and women flyers do you think were in that area. I doubt if the movie will show that ending, and i doubt if the truth will ever be known and i bet you someone in a dusty little office knows exactly want happened to her, but it is still a offfical secret. Were the people too know she risked her to live to do recon on the japanese it would have angered the public that the president put in that danger. On the otherside how would you say no to a request from Franklin. Oh by the way, i am a believer in cloak and dagger theories and believe that not everything we are told is the truth. He is hoping that the movie is at least a decent look just for the period clothes and machinery 59Lark

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
fleet16b said:
Hello all

I am new to the Forum and as a point of interest in this thread, I am the Airplane Wrangler and Aerial Coordianter for the movie.
An an Aviation Historian, I will say that the movie will be quite accurate to the era and Hilary Swank is doing quite well at portraying Amelia.

Fleet16b

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences here. We don't get a behind the scenes look very often. Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
59Lark

I won't get into the conspiracy theories, there are just too many.
Logically, Howland Island is a pin prick in the Pacific.
From a pilots view, most likely they either over shot or just plain could not find it and ended up in the Pacific.
Incidentally, there were other radio transmissions that were heard that experts think were transmitted after they were down. At first they were challenged but now most experts feel they were ligit.

As for the period clothes, Wardrobe is doing and excellent job and are recreating many of her actual outfits
Amelia was at her time the most photographed woman in the world so there are many references to use.
I for one am doubling for her in the flying sequences and know first hand the pains wardrobe is going to in order to duplicate the flying clothing she wore.

Fleet16b

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
fleet16b said:
fortworthgal

As a pilot myself, I would hope that your opinion is based on you being one also. Earhart flew for many years and yes had a few mishaps but no more than any other pilot male of female of her day.

Actually, she broke many records and on some aircraft, the Autogyro,for example, her ability was better than anyone else's.

Fleet61b

The correct term would be "Autogiro," as the Aircraft was a Pitcairn PCA-2, a product of the Autogiro Corp. of America.

As for Earhart's ability being better than anyone else's (As an an Autogiro pilot) that is certainly not borne out by the facts.

Amelia Earhart was nowhere the caliber of early rotary-wing pilot, like Jim Ray, George Townson, or George H."Buck" Miller, or Captain Johnny Miller.

Capt. Johnny Miller who is still alive at over 100 years old. (And still flying) figures quite prominently in the Earhart Autogiro saga, as he completed the first Transcontinental Autogiro flight before Earhart.
These early rotary-wing pilots accomplishments are legion, and did much of the unsung work to make rotary-wing flight practical. (As well as Pitcairn, Kellett, LePage, And Sikorsky.)

In Dr. Bruce Charnov's book FROM AUTOGIRO TO GYROPLANE: THE AMAZING SURVIVAL OF AN AVIATION TECHNOLOGY, Dr. Charnov relates this about the first of Earhart's three Autogiro accidents: The Aeronautic Branch of the Department of Commerce, renamed in 1934, the Bureau of Air Commerce, did not accept her version of the incident and issued her a formal reprimand for "carelessness and poor judgment" based on report made by the local inspector R. W. Delaney. Actually, the government had intended to ground Earhart for 90 days had her friend and NAA president Senator Hiram Bingham not pleaded her cause to the Aeronautic Branch of the Department of Commerce. He secured a lesser penalty, a formal reprimand from Clarence Young, then Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Aviation.

I've contributed to Dr. Charnov's book, and was a speaker at the Hofstra University Autogiro conference, and a member of The American Helicopter Society's History Committee, so I have a fair amount of experience with early rotary-wing history. (And have a pilot's license as well)

A few interesting links.

http://www.dmairfield.com/people/miller_jm/index.htm

http://www.aviation-history.com/airmen/earhart-Autogiro.htm

http://www.hofstra.edu/CampusL/Culture/Autogiro/index_Autogiro.cfm

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Abisinthe

Interesting information
Sorry wrong spelling of Autogiro, I know better than that.
I do not have a link but during movie research,saw that when the hours of all the Autogiro pilots were compared, Earhart's average of record of accidents vs hours flown in them was a think 3rd best.
Wish I could remember where I saw that info. perhaps you have a source to confirm this.
What are you flying currently ??

Fleet16b

Ray925

New in Town
....WOW....interesting...I was an axtra in the same move with Diane Keaton and Rutger Hauer,Bruce Dern....we filmed in Half Moon Bay in '91 I think it was. Made the cut and got a 2 secon shot in the final movie....pretty exciting...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
fleet16b said:
I do not have a link but during movie research,saw that when the hours of all the Autogiro pilots were compared, Earhart's average of record of accidents vs hours flown in them was a think 3rd best.
Wish I could remember where I saw that info. perhaps you have a source to confirm this.
What are you flying currently ??
Fleet16b

I talked to Johnny Miller a couple of times, and I agree with him that Amelia Earhart really didn't bother to learn how to fly the Autogiro properly, she seemed too preoccupied with just jumping into the aircraft, and doing a record flight, rather than spending the time to properly plan, and familiarize herself with the machine. (Paul Mantz ran into this with her and the Electra in Hawaii)

BTW....I didn't see a listing on imdb for Paul Mantz in the move, I hope they aren't omitting Paul Mantz as a character, considering how important he was to her story.

R25AMELIA.jpg

(Paul Mantz at left)

If they are doing Paul Mantz, I hope they cast him properly, Paul Mantz deserves a film about his exploits as a movie pilot in his own right. (His story was amazing)

Myself, I just fly your standard private aircraft, (Cessna's and Grumman's) mostly, I wish I could say I've flown something exotic, but I enjoy the times I do get in the air.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Absinthe

I agree fully with regards to Paul Mantz. The whole TallMantz story would be great to read about or see on film.
This movie unfortumately does not really touch on him, an inexcusable ommission. Alas , I have no control over the story line.

Mantz was definitely her mentor in the latter half of her flying and warned her repeatedly that she was not preparing herself enough for her last flight.
From accounts I have read she like many people, seemd to get a bit caught up in the publicity machine that Putnam created around her.
That scenario itself begs for more detailed research.
Putnam had her involved in all kinds of projects to generate income.
ie: luggage, ladies clothing line, aviation clothing line, and many other schemes.
I haev suggested to some people during this movie that Putnam may have pushed her an bit much and that contributed to her death Maybe/maybe not

She was strong willed and repeatedly told people that she did what she did because she wanted to. Who knows for sure

Incidentally , Gore Vidal was interviewed frequently during research for the film.
His father Gene and Amelia were close ( rumours of an affair) and Amelia was also very close to Gore who was a young boy at the time.

Flying: I fly a 1940 Fleet Finch 16R bi-plane. Lots of fun and a provilage to own.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
That's too bad about them omitting Paul Mantz. :rage: The old Susan Clark movie about Earhart had a dramatized version of Paul Mantz, played by Stephan Macht that was interesting.

There were similar rumors about Mantz and Earhart, and I believe Mantz's first wife even tried to drag Earhart into their divorce proceedings.

A new biography about Paul Mantz would be nice, I've had the old Don Dwiggins book since I was a kid, I remember seeing an old interview with Frank Tallman, where he mentioned that he wanted to do a film about Paul Mantz.

It would be a great story.

olive bleu

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Wow, interesting! I like Hilary Swank and think she's a good choice.

I am fascinated by Amelia's disappearance. However, I'm torn on viewing her as a role model. She was a pioneer in that she did many things that were deemed unsuitable for women at the time, but I personally feel she was lacking as a pilot. I think she just bit off more than she could chew.

Still, great storyline for a movie!

Personally, I believe that whether someone succeeds or fails, is not the key quality of a role model. As you said, she did things that "were deemed unsuitable for women at the time". Whether or not she was a highly skilled pilot of her day is not relevant to me.She did follow her passion and that is what i admire. It is because of women like her ,that women like me are able to even consider pursuits that would once have been deemed "unladylike".:) She is absolutely my hero.I am looking forward to the movie, which has apparently been partly filmed
, in Halifax ,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/topper1/2627485960/

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mantz's nonrole in movie

It might be that having a male mentor would make Earhart less impressive and independent in the minds of today's moviegoer - just imitating a man rather than fighting the established order with innate talent and drive.

This doesn't reflect reality, but in Hollywood sometimes you ignore reality even if it would make a good story, because a good story isn't enough. It has to resonate with popular myths, and do so very strongly and obviously.

Eyemo

Practically Family
And this is where she landed when she flew across the Atlantic. Burry Port, the Town of Llanelli is in the background.... and I live about 10mins away from here.:) :) :) Can't wait to see this movie!!..

_0030162323.jpg

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Well filming is now complete and work is moving forward in the editting room.

Just received a package from South Africa.
During filming I was to be Hilary Swanks double in all flying scenes therefore the Wardrobe Dept had a flying jacket and helmet custom made for me. Ita rrived direct from location in S.A. today.
The jacket is an exact repilca of the 3/4 length men jacket that Amelia Earhart wore early in her career.
It is made by Belstaff Leatehers in England. Only two were made , one for Hilary Swank and one for me.
Belstaff has quite a reputation in the movie business. Their website list many movies and celebrities that they have made leather clothing for.
Not sure what I will do with the jacket but have drawn up letters of authenticity and may end up selling it one day.
If Hilary wins a third Oscar for Amelia, the jacket could be quite collectable.
Also was given a leather flying helmet that was custom made for me.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Max Allan Collins has written an interesting novel, blending fictional Nathan Heller with Amelia Earhart's life. Is it too much to hope the motion picture would be based upon the novel?

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
The movie tires to stay as accurate to Amelia Earharts life as possible, centering around he relationship with he husband George Putnam.
Not to tell the ending it does not deal with any of the ridiculous conspiracy theories that rae out there.
I should add as accurate as Holywood like to be but I am sure like all movies it will have it's share of people complaining about authenticity.
Hope everyone enjoys it anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran