Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bootlegger, zipper question

gfirob

Familiar Face
Well the Bootlegger, ordered Feb 16th came today (April 20th).

Vintage Cordoba FQHH, snap pocket inside on the facing, zippered cuffs, slanted chest pocket, back length extended 1” to 26”, Black Stewart wool lining, cotton drill sleeve lignin, waist tapered 1” per side.

The jacket looks great, fits great, though it was a little stiff and shiny on arrival. It has been tumbling with a damp towel (no heat) in the dryer for the last couple of hours and that seems to be loosening it up and bringing the leather texture forward. I’ll do this for a few more hours and see how it does. Two hours has improved it so far.

I have a FQHH Cordoba Highwayman that is about 5 years old, so I have a broken in jacket to compare it to. Broken in is better...
I really look forward to this new jacket in its broken in state.

I have to say, I was wearing that old Highwayman in the light rain yesterday and just enjoying the weight of the leather. I toyed with the idea of getting a lighter leather for this new jacket but I am glad I did not. There is something about these heavy jackets that is just particularly satisfying to wear and to look at. They are heavy and they are only really good to wear in the cooler days of the fall, spring and winter, but they are still the best.

This is my third Aero jacket and I am a big fan.

The only question I have with these jackets is that the leather is so thick around the bottom of the zipper that starting the zipper can be a struggle.

Anybody have any advice on this? It’s the same on my five year old jacket (though less so) as it is the new one.

Any zipper advice?

Thanks

Rob Gardner

Peacoat

Bartender
I haven't had that problem, but it sounds as though the leather needs to be pulled/pushed away from the zipper. If you could post a picture of the offending zipper, posters here probably would come up with some suggestions.

Rob
I ordered my Bootlegger Jan 16...and haven't received it yet!
I agree..the Aero hvy FQHH is a great hide. I have a HalfBelt in vintage FQHH which is somewhat lighter weight..but comparing it to my hvy FQHH Highwayman..I too decided to go with Aero's Hvy Horse again. It's just so unique..and once broken-in is hard to beat.
I heard that Aero had went with a new zipper..."Aero" brand rather the brass Talon...and is supposed to be easier to zip. I always have had trouble with their bell shaped Talon. Trick is..to make sure it is seated well(by pulling down 'hard")before attempting to zip. The heavy leather seems to bind...and tends to pull the male side out.
I hope you can post some pics. I'm more than anxious to get mine!
HD

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hello, gfirob: I, too, have struggled with the zipper

on both my bootlegger and Hercules. They both behave exactly as you describe. The Herc's HH has begun to loosen enough to render the zip fairly easy to engage, so maybe time and usage are sufficient.

I've given up on the steerhide Bootlegger. It is too heavy, too thick to be a practicable garment for me. It's for sale on ebay now. As beautiful as it is, I don't really wear it, opting for lighter jackets--A-1, A-2, G-1, Magnoli's goat jacket.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Thanks

Thanks for the response, everyone. I will try to post some stills if I can figure it out (I have not done that yet here).

I had a similar problem with a Canada Goose expedition parka that I had to wear on a job once in the way deep cold and I think part of that was just that the bulk of the garment made it hard to really line the parts up. And I think those were plastic zippers.

This leather jacket has a tendency to get in its own way while trying to zip it up because the leather is so heavy and the Bootlegger flap kind of gets in the way. I think I'll try to open up the leather at the base of the male part of the zipper (maybe stretch it a little) and just work with it.

Thanks again
Rob

gfirob

Familiar Face
Zipper issue solved

Sorry for answering my own email, but after some experimenting with my new jacket, I solved my own problem (maybe I should have done this in the first place).

But in any event, here is what I found, regarding the zipper on the new jacket:

My life-long zipping experience has taught me to pull the male (left-hand) side of the zipper down into the slider (the right-hand side) by pulling on the leather below and holding the slider with the pull tab.

This was causing all kinds of problems on the new jacket and making the whole process a struggle, with the stiff leather and narrow spacing.

I now find that if I push the left-hand side (slider side) up onto the male (right-hand) side, holding the leather below, it works fine. It’s counter-intuitive, but it works.

Maybe everybody already knew that, but in any event, it solved my problem.

And the jacket is great.

Rob Gardner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo