Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy Saying hello

lookoutscj

New in Town
Hello to all! I have been a visitor here at the lounge for some time although the combination of work and about one too many time consuming pursuits have kept me from taking the time to post and introduce myself. I have been a "Fedora Guy" for over 30 years now having aquired my first one from my Grandfather in the late 70's after visiting his home one day in a driving rainstorm. As I was heading back out the door preparing to spend an afternoon in the weather, he walked back to his bedroom and came back out with a Stetson "Open Road" and gave it to me. It was my exact size. He said "Take it, it's yours; It will keep you dry." He was 97 years old at the time and when he died a few years later, I discovered that he had been a "Wormser Guy" as that appeared to be the bulk of his dress hats. Too dressy for me at the time and I let them get away. A regret as I believe hearing they were made here in Chattanooga,TN.
Well, I have loved Fedora Hats ever since and discovered over the years that they do indeed keep you dry as I am outdoors quite alot. I think a tandem reason for my Fedora affection though is the connection to a time when business was done on a handshake and if you said you would do something, you did. When Gentlemen were, just that. When people took personal responsibility and believed as credo "Going the extra mile."
The "Greatest Generation."
When I place one of my hats on my head on the way out the door to work, I am reminded of this.
I like that.
Kind Regards to all,
lookoutscj

duggap

Banned
Welcome

Lookoutscj, welcome to the lounge from one Chattanoogan to another. I will keep an eye out for you. You shouldn't be too hard to spot as so very few of us wear a fedora in Chattanooga. And yes the Wormser hat originated right here in Chattanooga. As I am sure you know, there is the Wormser hat shop downtown, but it is but a shell of the old company. Enjoy your stay here.:)

ukali1066

Practically Family
Welcome !

I'm feeling what you said about the old values....sad that it's the exception rather than the norm to find them nowadays :(

Donato

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Glad you joined us Lookoutscj, I too was lead to my love of fedoras by my grandfather.
Very nice story and I look forward to your post!
Me too! I rarely saw my grandfather without a fedora - he had a collection - but alas, little did I know that I would be a fedora convert myself years later. His fedora collection was thrown out after he died. But I will never forget "Pop" and his beloved fedora going out the door and saying, "Cheerio" with a twinkling in his eye and a tip of his hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome aboard, lookoutscj. You'll find some like-minded folks here.

I know what you mean about grandfathers and their fedoras as well as their values and personal integrity.

Those memories have always stood me in good stead.

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge lookoutsjc. I think you'll find the folks here friendly and knowledgeble. There is always something interesting discussed here.

lookoutscj

New in Town
Thanks to all for the welcome! I am travelling the first part of this week but when I return I will post photos of the Lee hat. Thanks johnnyphi! It truly is a hat both in color and style I have quested after for years; and thank you for taking the obvious care in shipping to insure it arrived in perfect condition.
Kind Regards to all,
lookoutscj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany