Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Here

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Hello everyone, I wandered over here from the Fountain Pen Forum. I've been browsing this site for awhile and finally decided to join since the collective knowledge and community discourse is so good here.

I tend to agree that the most distinctive marker of the vintage clothing realm is the presence of a fedora, bowler, etc. I have a couple fedoras- a Stetson Saxon and a Hats in the Belfry "Gangster" Fedora. I acquired the Saxon several years ago. Where could I get a decorative feather for the Saxon hat? It looks somewhat plain without the feather, I find. Anyone have any ideas? How about crafts stores like Michaels or that sort of thing? I'd ideally like to avoid buying online and having it shipped to me, as it seems a little absurd to be importing tiny decorative feathers from across state lines. However I'll do that if I just plain can't find it locally here in the Bethesda/DC area.

Thanks for the help.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
A feather!? What you need is a new custom! believe me, if you don`t feel that need right now, give yourself another few weeks of reading this site! It`s dangerous! I started collecting Fedoras in Spring, before I could even really wear any given the weather, and now have 7-8 stacked up in boxes! And, if you think thats squandering money, think what it would be worth if I had invested that in equities...$3000 worth of hats might have bought me an Akubra now...

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Thanks for the replies- I'll give the crafts store a try this weekend. I've found some online, but will hold off until I strike out locally.

I've got a couple of hats here, and I actually have a lighter grey colored fedora on-order. I have a Brooks Bros. winter wool overcoat that is a very dark blue that will probably look nice with the grey.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Ray, I have a nice little feather cluster that I removed from one of my hats (it needed to be plainer). I'd be happy to mail it to you, and you can do what you want with it, use it or chuck it. It has, front to back, a pheasant dotted one, a narrow red, a broader white, and a brown backing them up.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Ray. And Daizawaguy is right...this place heightens your desire for fedoras. I can't seem to go more than a few months without desiring a new one (or a "new" old one). :eusa_doh:

Still, lots of good info here; you're likely to learn a lot.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Thanks for the very kind offer, but I think I'm set-- no worries.

Success! Michael's sells a package of assorted feathers, including Pheasant feathers (my favorites). Out of a $2 package I found feathers that fit well and made a nice little combo that fits in alongside the band bow. This package also contained some more modern-looking ones that are black+orange and red+orange colored. The Pheasant ones look very nice though-- maroon with white details and a little brown in them.

If anyone is looking to do a custom feather combo or put new feathers in a hat, head over to Michael's and have a look for the clear plastic bag with the feathers in it. They actually have a decent variety in that bag.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Ray, I have a nice little feather cluster that I removed from one of my hats (it needed to be plainer). I'd be happy to mail it to you, and you can do what you want with it, use it or chuck it. It has, front to back, a pheasant dotted one, a narrow red, a broader white, and a brown backing them up.

That was my thought too. I have extras from a couple of newer Stetsons (Temple and Chatham). You can check the sites that sell those models to see what the feathers look like and you're welcome to them if you want.

You can email me at gene at genecrippen dot com.

Come to think of it, if all the TFL members who have removed feathers from their hats send them to you, you'll have enough to make a boa!! lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred