Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new in town. My first A2 manufacturer?

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
First post for me here… Glad to rejoin you. This last month, I read you a lot, so I learn a lot to… Thank’s for that.
So, I begin to ask you about a mistery to me. I bought my first A2 repro there were near 2 years. I like this jacket, and I tried to find which manufacturer made it (without succès…) Maybe can you help me ?
Of course, there is no tag on the jacket, no information at all. Except this point, my jacket seems to be a pretty good repro of what was a WWII A2.
There is a collar stand.
The zipper was stenciled Talon, but the back side of the box was stencil ykk, (I have to replace it recently and then I realise that it wasn’t au full Talon zipper). Now, it’s a full ykk…
I have a problème with my caméra, so for the moment, I can show you just this 2 pictures, but I send détails pics as soon as possible :

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I can't help you with ID'ing the jacket, but it's a beaut:eusa_clap
Looks like goatskin in the pix.
And BTW, welcome to the forums.
Lenny

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
thank's, here are more pics. I think it's horsehide, but nothing sure... If you click on picture, you can see a bigger one with grain détails...

Peacoat

Bartender
I can't tell the difference between horse and cow in the photographs, but it isn't goat. If I had to guess, I would say horse. The one piece back is nice, as is the overall presentation of the jacket. I'm sure some of the experts here will know exactly what it is. Welcome to the Forum.

Anders

One of the Regulars
Curious that it's missing even the old contract label most reproductions emulate. That and the different lining means there's a long list of well known companies you could rule out. Certainly looks like a fine jacket, though.

Welcome to The Lounge!

Anders

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Thanks for your interest!
I'm agree with you: It's stange to be as close of a good repro, and don't try to make label (funny contract number or mark) ... The jacket was new when I bought it, and never a label was sewn on this jacket. Absolutly no "made in" label or "genuine type of hide", "size" in pockets or else...
There were just taylor trace of chalk inside pockets, but I don't believe it's a totaly handmade jacket (a lonely maker I mean), cause I bought it in a shop were there were 10 or 15 jackets like mine in different size... I think it's probably a parallele production of a knew manufacturer.
Anders, What do you mean about "different lining?" It seems to be 100% coton, and the colour is a clear olive drab (or very close). That seems to be a standard for type A-2 jackets, no?
To give you an idea of the price, I'm not sure, but I paid it something like 400 euros. It's quiet expensive, but I bought it in a militaria shop were they selled rangers to Weston prices, so it's probably a jacket that we can find around 250 euros on the bay.
Read you soon.

Anders

One of the Regulars
Different in that most A-2 repros are lined in the same burnt orange/brown cotton that is generally conisdered consistent with historical jackets. The color of yours is different, and I seem to be making out some sort of pattern in the cloth as well, which is unique.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Anders said:
Different in that most A-2 repros are lined in the same burnt orange/brown cotton that is generally conisdered consistent with historical jackets. The color of yours is different, and I seem to be making out some sort of pattern in the cloth as well, which is unique.
Thanks Anders, it's a great indication...
I owne a ELC repro of dreadnough 27752, and I see the colour you talk about. I believed the lining colour wasn't a standard (like russet or seal brown, and free space betwin...). Maybe I was wrong cause the colour of my jacket linig is in the "military spirit".:eusa_doh:

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
For sure it's not an Aero Leather or Lost Worlds. I have A-2s from each of them. Looks more like a Flight Suits or Gibson and Barnes, which are the same company. I have an earlier A-2 from Flight Suits and a more recent Gibson and Barnes and there are a lot of differences between them.

Looks like a very nice jacket, though!

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
I went to Gibson and Barnes web site recently, and I remember the pocket flap style was really different, and my jacket looks really different of everything I saw on their site.
I'm still searshing... And maybe I found something interesting: old threads about a manufacturer I didn't heard about before: Sefton. The pictures of their jackets looks pretty clothe from my jacket. Their zip are inacurate (like mine), the shape is squarre (the same), and they don't reproduce a particular contract. They have a label, not mine...
Is anybody know Sefton? Is it a wrong way ? :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy