Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

catspyjamas

New in Town
Hello to everyone !

I'm a novice to the vintage world compared to you ladies. It is certainly inspiring to read about your experiences and see the lovely clothes that people have found and made. Vintage really appeals to me because I am petite with a short legs, (please lets forget low-rise pants) and if I buy "modern" clothes I always end up looking like I raided a 10 yr olds closet. So by some weird coincidence, the clothes which suit me best are all vintage pieces from the 40s,50s and 60s. Sorry, I'm not a purist, but a mixed up mutt !
Ideally, would love to dress vintage all of the time but need to ask a practical question for those of you with young children...how do you use things like metal frame baby carriers or even front carriers while wearing vintage clothing ? There are some things I need to do with my toddler in tow but I haven't succeeded in reconciling the two worlds to my satisfaction.
Yikes. Ended up being long winded !:p

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Welcome

gluegungeisha said:
I've started posting already, but haven't properly introduced myself!

My name is Kaeti and I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I recently turned seventeen and will be attending either the University of New Mexico or New Mexico State this fall. I'm an avid swing-dancer, and a lover of fashions from decades past!

Hi GG! Nice to see another NM Face here! It was gettin' a little lonely!

Nashoba

One Too Many
celticmom said:
My name is Karen and I live in Ga. I'm married and have four kids - 1 son, 3 daughters. My husband is in the Marine Corps Reserves. My son is 9, and my girls are 4, 2 and 8 months old. I found out about this site from Nashoba and have been lurking for awhile. I love anything vintage, my wedding dress was 100+ years old :), but have a special place in my heart for the 40's and 50's. I have dreams of being able to sew but in reality I can't thread a needle. When I'm not chasing children I'm surfing, shooting, or cooking (not great at that but I enjoy experimenting and I'm getting better).

I'm still looking for the right pic for my avatar!

YAY Karen!!!! Glad to see ya here! And one of these days darlin, I promise I'll teach you how to sew....

vintagelaura

New in Town
catspyjamas said:
Hello to everyone !
Ideally, would love to dress vintage all of the time but need to ask a practical question for those of you with young children...how do you use things like metal frame baby carriers or even front carriers while wearing vintage clothing ?:p

Hi! My daughter is a toddler, too. I don't wear vintage on a daily basis, but I have used two kinds of carriers, and maybe my experience will be helpful -

I was never able to use the frame carriers. Too many straps and not comfortable enough for me. I've heard rave reviews of the Ergo carrier, though. Have you tried that one?

My favorite was the hugabub wrap from Australia. You can find it by doing a search. You can use it from newborn to toddler. The hugabub is a very long piece of fabric that is wrapped around your body in a particular way. It looks confusing at first, but it is actually very easy and very comfortable.

I also used a traditional sling (with the plastic ring for adjustment). It was nice for fast trips if I didn't want to take the time to wrap the hugabub.

I don't carry my daughter much, now, because she is just so heavy that my back hurts. But I do still use the sling occasionally for short outings.

Laura

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'd like to offer a warm welcome to all the new gals joining us! :D
I joined not all that long ago, and I hope you find it as friendly and fun as I have!

Joie

catspyjamas

New in Town
vintagelaura said:
Hi! My daughter is a toddler, too. I don't wear vintage on a daily basis, but I have used two kinds of carriers, and maybe my experience will be helpful -

I was never able to use the frame carriers. Too many straps and not comfortable enough for me. I've heard rave reviews of the Ergo carrier, though. Have you tried that one?

My favorite was the hugabub wrap from Australia. You can find it by doing a search. You can use it from newborn to toddler. The hugabub is a very long piece of fabric that is wrapped around your body in a particular way. It looks confusing at first, but it is actually very easy and very comfortable.

I also used a traditional sling (with the plastic ring for adjustment). It was nice for fast trips if I didn't want to take the time to wrap the hugabub.

I don't carry my daughter much, now, because she is just so heavy that my back hurts. But I do still use the sling occasionally for short outings.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply ! I actually used an ergo before until DS got too heavy... BUT I don't want to turn this into a moms thread or anything so I guess I should just conclude that there is no way to be completely vintage and use modern baby accessories without looking bizarre...:eek:

Liz

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
vintagelaura said:
Hi! My name is Laura. Another vintage seller introduced me to this site a while ago, and I just joined a few days ago. I'm enjoying all of the posts so far! :D

I'm married with an active young daughter, two cats, two dogs, and a flock of chickens. My interest in vintage has been life-long and spans 18th century to the 1950s, though I'm mostly interested in 1860-1960. I have a vintage pattern business called Vintage Fashion Library. I recognize a lot of faces here, so I know I'll fit right in!

Laura

Ooh hi Laura! I have one of your patetrns yet, just need to finish sewing it!

Hello to all you other new ladies too!

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
OK, even though I have already posted some I have not yet introduced myself.
I am 15 and a missionary kid, so I am an American. I have liked "old" stuff ever since I can remember, but have never been able to dress the part.

This is such a wonderful community filled with friendly people (at least this is my impression) and I am delighted to be here.:)

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Hi! My name is Natashia, I'm 20 and I live in San Diego California. My passions are film noir and technicolor musicals, quite a contrast there. I also love the silent era, Josephine Baker, Alfred Hitchcock, burlesque, and finding amazing vintage pieces on my weekly ventures.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I am new as well! My name is Natashia and I'm 20. I found this site looking for information on how to launder FF seamed stockings. I would then make nightly visits for a few hours just reading all the posts on various beauty topics. I then decided to join after lurking for about a month. I love noir films and technicolor musicals. I'm also big on the silent era and Josephine Baker. Nice to meet you all!

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Hello all

First post here. I'm a court Magistrate by occupation, former prosecuting attorney, all of which means that since I left the army, my days have been spent wearing a suit and tie. My wife and I constantly comment how people today just don't know how to really dress for an occassion, be it church, court, etc. Add to this my undying love for the Indiana Jones films, the history of WWII, and here I am. Actually came here after seeing references from Carebear on a gun site, liked what i found, and finally joined up. I'll probably have a lot of questions along the way, but you all certainly seem like the kind of people to answer without laughing.

Ellie

Familiar Face
Hey ladies! I am new as well! My name is Ellie and I live in Southern California and I am thoroughly addicted to this site! A girl that I work with introduced me to it.

I have been obsessed with old movies, antiques, and vintage clothes ever since high school. It has always been difficult to find people who like the same things as me so when I looked on this site, I fell in love! It is such a positive atmosphere! And it is finally inspiring me to dress vintage everyday in the near future! I have somewhat been afraid in the past, but I am putting all those fears behind!

I can't wait to take part in discussions with all of you!

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Hey Ellie! Don't know if you'll see this, but its me. Natashia is actually my real name. Didn't recognize me from the avatar?

HepKat

New in Town
Hi all! I came across this website a couple weeks ago and I couldn't wait to read all the posts on forties lifestyle, and find other people as interested in that era as I am. The 40's and 50's are by far my favorite decades of that time.
Nice to meet everyone!

FemmeFatale

New in Town
This is a really nice thread :)

I'm sixteen, I'm from Ireland, and I found the site on Google. I'm just really drawn to the whole ladylike vibe of the 1940s and 50s; I also love the cinema and fiction of the time. If I could, I would wear day dresses and skirts every day of the week, but with my rake-thin beanpole figure it's almost impossible to find any clothes to fit, never mind the vintage kind. Ah well. It's a kind of a quest.

So far I'm really enjoying the forums here. Everyone seems really nice.

Shearer

Practically Family
Ellie said:
Hey ladies! I am new as well! My name is Ellie and I live in Southern California and I am thoroughly addicted to this site! A girl that I work with introduced me to it.

I have been obsessed with old movies, antiques, and vintage clothes ever since high school. It has always been difficult to find people who like the same things as me so when I looked on this site, I fell in love! It is such a positive atmosphere! And it is finally inspiring me to dress vintage everyday in the near future! I have somewhat been afraid in the past, but I am putting all those fears behind!

I can't wait to take part in discussions with all of you!

I just had to stop in and say hi to the new San Diego ladies :) So, hello to Ellie and Lesvinyl (Natashia). I saw Ellie's post in the Steamer Trunk about Highway 395 and got excited there were more San Diego people here... I always wondered why there weren't many girls from my corner of the world. AZ is hogging all the vintage ladies ;)

Anyway, glad you're here ladies!

DELTA0321

New in Town
Hello to all

Hello everyone:
After watching from the wings here for quite some time I've come to appreciate your expertise as a group on the clothing topics presented here. This is not so much due to any vintage dress inclination on my part, but rather a growing appreciation that the golden era as discussed here is the foundation of the best of today's general professional attire, as well as an example of some manner, culture and courtesy in society which are sadly in full decline today.
I've found myself here as a result of two unusual causes. First, born in 1961 as the only child of parents who were married in 1942, growing up I absorbed attitude of behavior, dress and manners which looked back to the generation and era celebrated on your forum. My father dressed into his 70th year looking like the illustrations published here from the 30s & 40s.
Second, I recently retired from a career in the US Marine Corps, and so found myself pitched into the professional world having spent 20 years with uniforms as my only "grown-up" clothes.
What has convinced me to stay is not the vintage expertise, as I will probably never embrace a vintage dressing or life style as many do here, but simply the general civility displayed here when discussing all manner of topics. Again, rare today.
So, it's high time I introduced myself. My name is Steve and the "delta0321" as something of an inside joke from my former life, has followed me around in email addresses & through internet forums. I look forward to getting to know you all.

I may be able to contribute some information to any of the folks here w/ interest in WWII; photos of the era and such that I have from my parents; also info general or specific about today's USMC.

The hat w/ the jaunty brim in my profile photo is the only thing close to a fedora I've ever worn. None of you would want to ever smell as bad as I did when that photo was taken. :D

v/r
Steve

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Welcome aboard, Steve. I, too, am more here for the civility of days gone by. Mine is more a general interest in the golden era, but who knows, I may start wearing a little classic style, someday.

There are some here who would be very interested in viewing any photos from WWII and the classic era that you have. They're a huge part of being here in the Fedora Lounge.

Again, welcome aboard, have a seat and enjoy.

Lee

SarahJane

New in Town
Hello, just joined

Hello ladies

I found this site through a google search on "vintage girdles".
I have a love of vintage and repro vintage clothing, most especially from the period 1920-1950, and have done ever since I first discovered my grandmother's jewellery box and wardrobe.
In particular I love the architecture and furniture design of the art deco period, clothing and lingerie of the 1930's and 40's , and the writing of Anais Nin and Henry Miller, Dorothy Parker and F Scott Fitzgerald and music from yesteryears.
I currently live in Cornwall in the UK, but am due to move to the Atlanta area of Georgia to be with my husband soon.
I look forward to meeting people with similar interests and hopefully making some new friends across the pond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925