Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
Hello all! I found The Fedora Lounge looking for how-to's on 1940 hairstyles, then discovered there was so much more here to explore! I had no idea there were this many people who liked the same things I do. I'm 37, live in the California Sierra Nevada Mountains, work with computer software by day, write fiction by night. I've always loved the 1930's and 1940's, even when I was a kid -- movies, music, style. It all appeals to me. I love Dana Andrews, opera, film noir, westerns, WWII movies/books/shows. Combat! is my favorite television program. The only vintage clothes I own (as of now) is a WWII field jacket that I wouldn't part with for anything. I actually own two... one's in perfect condition (which means, of course, I never wear it) and the other has frayed cuffs, so of course I wear it all the time because it's already worn in and so it's okay to get it dirty and I don't feel bad. Sigh. And I have repro GI buckle boots which I tromp around in all the time when I'm out hiking.

Now, if I could just figure out those hairstyles...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Dixon's Dame said:
I actually own two... one's in perfect condition (which means, of course, I never wear it)

Yay! A gal after my own heart! Many welcomes to the lounge! You've definately come to the right place- especially for hairstyle how to's. We've got a number of gals that seem to quickly becoming very good at hairstlying!

WoeSis

New in Town
introductions

Ah, i suppose that this is where i ought to say, "hello," and introduce myself.

i am Lily, a gal in her thirties with a love of vintage. i'm fortunate enough to run a Ladies' Tea Guild in beautiful Long Beach, California. It is through one of our members that i found the lounge. (Hello, Neecerie!) However, if memory serves, i believe a few fellow Culties might be present here as well... Professionally, i've been everything from a video game designer to a professional make-up artist only to recently chuck all that experience to become a holistic health practitioner (aka glorified massage therapist). i much happier to now have a career that allows me plenty of time to homeschool my twelve year-old daughter.

i sew. i knit. i crochet. But not nearly as much as i would like due to budgetary constraints.

i adore swing dancing, but my knowledge is limited to attendance at one Swing Camp and a handful of lessons from my much skilled, instructor friends. My goal (and, i think, the goal of my fella) is to learn more East Coast so as to be able to cut a rug to the faster tunes. We're just a bit too goofy to manage a nice, quick Lindy.

My interests tend to lie in the Art Deco to Wartime eras. i find that i am quite comfortable in any of the years in between. As such, i tend to be a smattering of that time in terms of appearance. i'm not so much a vintage purist, honestly. But i think that the pink hair gives that away.

Well, i know that i must be leaving far too much out, but at the moment i am at a loss for what more to say. i am very much looking forward to chatting with many of you.

jackiemanni

New in Town
Lauren Henline said:
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the new ladies I've seen around the lounge! Please let us know a little about yourself, like how you found the lounge, what your favorite eras are, etc. I love learning about new people!

Welcome again, ladies!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm new here and found the lounge by google-ing 40s red lipstick! hee! Once I got into reading all of the other posts I knew I found some birds of a feather.

My name is Jackie and I love all things olde, especially 40s. I am 36 and I live in a turn of the century house which is forever under rennovation (we bought it 6 years ago and we still don't have a proper kitchen!! but we do have a lovely clawfoot tub cast in 1921 which we found in a junk shop and re-did ourselves :). I like to dress in vintage inspired clothing (I have a few actual vintage things but I have been having the WORST dry rot problem! When one of my skirts literally disintegrated piece by piece in a club and finally fell off me in the taxi home I have been more into repro!!) and wear my hair in 40s rolls and waves (I use those little pillowy rag-esque curlers because it is long). I work at an art school in the registrar's office and I love to knit, sew, bead, do needlework, thrift shop, play the ukulele, cook insane feasts, read tarot cards, and oil paint. I am married to a great guy named David (our anniversary is March 1st - 12 years married!) and we are crazy about our 2 dogs and 3 cats!! I love many kinds of music - everything from 20s ukulele tunes, the Harry Smith Anthology old american music, old blues, big band, 50s crooners, Frank Sinatra!, Jimi Hendrix!, the music of my flaming youth (post-punk, new wave - old skool art fag stuff like Siouxsie, Joy Division, Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Psych Furs) and as for "today" I like Rasputina and Chris Whitley - never got into the new rockabilly stuff.

As for red lipstick - I use Cover Girl classic red (I am swooning over the Bessame reds and hope to splurge someday - I don't see it happening anytime soon because hey - we still don't have a proper kitchen!!). It is a nice cool to neutral red and I like the matte but not super drying like MAC consistancy.

Thanks for having me!

Jackie.

Sachet

Familiar Face
Vintage Patterns?

I've been looking through The Powder Room, trying to see if someone has already posted links to some vintage pattern websites that I found this week.

It can be annoying to have new people come on and post things that everyone else already knows about. Therefore, I wish to be wary of doing so myself. :)

I thought that since I am a new member that this thread would be the best place to ask if I should post my websites and where would be appropriate? On an already established thread with a similar topic or should I begin a new one?

Thanks for any advice offered.

...Sachet

Vanessa

One Too Many
Yes! Post pattern links! And then Lauren & I will promptly 'run' over there and start looking for things to buy.

Sachet

Familiar Face
Lauren Henline said:
Hi! Welcome to the Lounge! I'd love to see what you found! Feel free to post a new topic :)

Vanessa said:
Yes! Post pattern links! And then Lauren & I will promptly 'run' over there and start looking for things to buy.

Thanks for the encouragement! I will be happy to do so. I just hope that you haven't already been to all of the sites. :)

Maria

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Maria, have you been to Rio's "Confeitaria Colombo"? One of the world greatest Belle Epoque cafes!

Yes, of course! I go there at least once a month with my friends, for a tea :)
I love it's Art Nouveau architecture, it's stunning! I'll take some pictures the next time, and post them here!

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

I love to study the history of America--from the 20' to the 40's. My special fondness (my friends use the word "obsession") is for the WWII Home Front. Thus far I've only collected ration books, cook books and lots of little bits of info! For the past few years I've read everything I could get my hands on about that time period. My secret dream is to be interviewed on some news show and have, under my name, "WWII Home Front Expert".

I'm thrilled to have found the Fedora Lounge and look forward to learning more and meeting people who share my love of history!

cherrypinupgal

New in Town
Howdy

Hi all,

I have been a lurker in the lounge for awhile. It's time for me to post! I actually learned about this wonderful site from the Atomic mag page. It is so comforting to see so many others who share similar passions.

I have always been a huge fan of the pinup art of the 40's and 50's. Classic films and music are very close to my heart, as well as vintage clothing. I also have a passion for the WWII homefront.

I live in the metro Atlanta (GA) area with my husband and 3 year old son. I stay at home with my son, but continue to work on developing children's learning literature. I'm a movie buff, comic fan, anime/manga fan, music junkie, love to cook, garden, travel...Jeez I sound like a personals ad... and I will read just about anything I can get my hands on..lol.

I am truly looking forward to getting to know you guys.

*Misty:D

Emily C.

New in Town
cherrypinupgal said:
I have always been a huge fan of the pinup art of the 40's and 50's. Classic films and music are very close to my heart, as well as vintage clothing. I also have a passion for the WWII homefront.

Hello there! Well, I can see we have a lot in common, I love the pin-up of the 40's, actually, I love the 40's period! I love classic films, music and I spend most of my time sewing vintage clothing! It is a pleasure to meet you and welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

Emily

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
hello! my name is caroline, I'm 28yrs old. Been married for 10 years, and have 3 girls (yikes!:) ). I love 30's and 40's evening wear (I'm one who LOVES to get all gussied up). I found out about the lounge from a friend of the family, who is none other than MK. I've always loved classic movies, watched them all the time as a kid.
It's been great learning about vintage clothing and make-up, and getting to know the other ladies in here!

cherrypinupgal

New in Town
Emily C. said:
Hello there! Well, I can see we have a lot in common, I love the pin-up of the 40's, actually, I love the 40's period! I love classic films, music and I spend most of my time sewing vintage clothing! It is a pleasure to meet you and welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

Emily

Thank you so much! I am really looking forward to getting to know you guys!!:)

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Hi there!!

So, I've been lurking around here for a while since I'm really shy (even online!) and I finally registered last night.

My name is Jessica, I'm a college student in Fredericksburg, Virginia... I'm majoring in (surprise) historic preservation, although my concentration is in architectural conservation. I've been a history geek as long as I can remember, however until recently I've focused most of my energies into the 19th century. I have a few friends who do WWII reenacting, and they've convinced me to go for it with them... I've always been an art deco fiend and have always loved the 30's and 40's especially... but for some reason havent put much energy into it until recently. Its nice to find people who share the same obsession as I do! Fredericksburg is a nice little town, but I havent met many people here who are quite this enthusiastic.

This place is awesome!!!! I've learned a lot in the time I've been sneaking around reading, and have found SO much useful information... I hope to learn more and to get to know everyone!

-Jess

Emily C.

New in Town
Hello there Ms Jessica!
I am thrilled that you joined us, everyone is very nice and helpfull here! Enjoy your time at the Fedora lounge!
Emily

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
welcome to the Fedora Lounge Jessica! sounds like you'll have a lot of interesting info to contribute here also:)
btw: no need to be shy, just jump on in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana