Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hi there!

I am new to all this and not too familiar with doing this computer thing at all! But I stumbled upon this site while looking for information on 40's hairstyles and I am finding it so interesting! It's going to take me some time to learn my way around so please be patient with me. (I actually posted something last night about hairstyles so I have already plunged in! However, I couldn't tell you now where I posted it! It was about a formula of sugar water my Mom used for setting her pincurls back in the 20's.)

The name I am using here is a tribute to my Mother--a name she always loved! I think I am far older than most of you (55!) but I have always been interested in fashion, make-up, etc. and want to age as gracefully as possible. I don't think getting older has to mean getting dowdy, however! I have always had a deep appreciation for the WWII years as my Dad fought in that war and we have so much memorabilia from it. The history, the music, the clothing, the hairstyles--all of it, resonate with me. So I thought that incorporating some of the style and glamour of that time period would suit me well as I modify my appearance as I grow older. Pretty, fitted, tailored suits, hats, and upswept hairstyles work really well for me, and 40's styling seems to suit my body type. I've seen some of the pictures on this site and I love the things you girls post! So I will be visiting this site to get ideas, smile at your youthful, lovely faces, and enjoy the ideas and photos you contribute. Who knows, every now and then I might have something to chime in on!

I just told my 30 year old daughter about this site last night! She is an avid swing dancer (though she just got married and he doesn't dance (yet!!) I wouldn't be surprised if she knows some of you! Does anyone dance at the Derby?!

Maria

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
I'd love to see your photos of the Colombo. I've never seen it in person ... yet. If you ever visit Buenos Aires, make sure you go to the Gran Cafe Tortoni, on the Avenida 9 de Julio. Wonderful!

I went to the "Confeitaria Colombo" last week, but I forgot my camera (shame on me!). But I promise I won't forget the next time :)

Dis

New in Town
Hi all, I'm Dis. Like Etienne I'm wishing to age gracefully. I was told that I had my own sense of style before kids came along. It got kind of lost in maternity clothes and mothering. Now the kids are getting older and I have made the shocking discovery that I am not getting any younger. Can that face in the mirror really be mine?

So now I want to get my groove back. I don't much care for what I see labeled 'women's' clothes. Too frumpy and clothes marketed to yonger people -well, they just are totally lacking in any kind of elegance. So it's time to dust off the Bernina and make my own look. I've started collecting hats, gotten a pair of vintage specs and am going for a more tailored look. I want something truly 'retro' but I've not settled on a time period yet.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
hey Dis! Funny you brought up the 'face in the mirror' thing....me and a friend of mine were just talking about that very same thing. About two years ago I starting getting the lines around the eyes...I about cried when I saw them! and if you don't get enough sleep then it's really scary, I don't think I remember that sort of thing happening when I was 16!
Good luck with the new wardrobe! Like most girls I LOVE to shop....too bad you don't live near me, I could show you some really good places. I know what you mean though about what's out there now, it seems like it's either slutty or slumpy...though I think I"ve mastered the art of taking a somewhat 'slutty' shirt or whatever and pairing it with something else to make it look classy.
I'm glad you joined here, you sound like you've got a good sense of humor!

Skari Spice

New in Town
Hi everyone!

My name is Kari and it is with much excitement that I've found this forum! My terrific husband & I have been into vintage dress, d?ɬ©cor, and music since we met six years ago. We both came from punk rock ?¢‚Ǩ?ìbackgrounds,?¢‚Ǩ? that over the years morphed into rockabilly, which I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve found has sorta been the precursor to loving a retro lifestyle. These days, we drink up every kind of music and try to make our home as fun and as retro as possible. We live in one-quarter of an 1898 mansion and our apartment practically begs for the appropriate vintage d?ɬ©cor ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú which we love to provide. I LOVE to antique shop and the city I live in has numerous antique stores.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m also crazy about fashion! For a while, I tried to dress vintage all the time, but it was hard finding clothing in my size (a modern 14), and it was impractical to wear the delicate pieces I had to work. Now I just take that beautiful, classic style of 1940s-50s women and apply it to my daily wardrobe and I base my shopping choices around that fashion. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve found that if you keep that era or style in mind when you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re shopping, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really not difficult to find classic-inspired pieces in almost any clothing store. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s so exciting when you run across something new that screams ?¢‚Ǩ?ìForties?¢‚Ǩ?!

While I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m no good at achieving classic hairstyles, I do change my hair color frequently. Black is extremely flattering on a pale-skinned, blue-eyed girl, and I loved the look so much that I kept it for three years. But now I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m working towards platinum blonde (it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s taking a while to strip out all the black, and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m currently a reddish-brunette). My favorite accidental color was light pink. I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t mind trying that again. (Oooh! Maybe a very subtle pink sheen over the platinum blonde? Hmmm! I need to think about that!)

My husband & I are also avid travelers of the U.S. (Boston next week!) and we love to lounge in our sun porch with friends, spirits, and laughter.

It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s nice to ?¢‚Ǩ?ìmeet?¢‚Ǩ? you all!

Oh ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú a question for you ladies who have been posting here for a while: How do you view one?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ?¢‚Ǩ?ìPublic Profile?¢‚Ǩ?? It says I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have permission?¢‚Ǩ¬¶?

See you around the forums!

~Kari

Irena

One of the Regulars
Hello all!
I am the "odd child" here in my area, as I follow none of the trends in fashion, music and so on. I'm happy to find others who wish go back to a time when you dressed up to go out (even to visit down the street).
Let's see, I'm a high-school senior, I love all things old (I love to "feel" the stories when I see and feel old objects). I taught myself to crochet a while back, and I love to do vintage crochet, especially doilies and edgings. I am currently teaching myself to sew, because I am sick of the clothing in the stores these days. I also am big on saving things (I just can't throw anything useful away) and since I can a see a use for almost anything, I will soon be buried in useful items.
One of my greatest hobbies is writing down useful and/or interesting information in my many writing books. Oh, yes: I am in love with proper hand-writing (actual cursive).

Etienne

A-List Customer
Well, we are a long way apart in age, but I LOVE beautiful handwriting, too! I collect vintage fountain pens and have lots of jars of beautiful ink colors. Have you ever taken copperplate writing courses? They are incredible! All manner of script enchants me and I am forever pulling out magazine articles/photos of artistic journals and letters and vintage love letters, etc. Gorgeous stuff! Welcome!

Irena

One of the Regulars
I've not taken any copperplate writing courses, but I pride myself on being able to copy the writing style of anyone. So far the only handwriting I can't copy is a little boy's. So whenever I see an old-fashioned handwriting I like, I learn it. It's great fun! And I can't pass up a vintage writing book, or vintage-style.

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

Hi Ladies!!

I'm completely new on here - only registered last night. I have to admit though, that this was after having a good old nosey!! ;)

Well, I've been interested in all things retro for as long as I can remember. My Grandma was a war-worker during 39-45, and I was fascinated (even as a little girl), by the photograph of her in her turban, with a shock of bleached blonde hair peaking out!!

I met my hubby at a Blitz Ball, and after deciding to marry, we arrived at the conclusion that the only way was to have a 1940s wedding!! (When I'm a bit more au fait with how everything works on here, I'll post a piccy!).

We've had several vintage vehicles, and we've both collected clothing etc from the era for oooooooooooooh, a fair old time!!

Really, just recently, I find myself leaning more and more toward the late 40s and early 50s - I'm fairly, erm, "curvy", lol , and I find the stunning fashions of this era rather more forgiving to my frame than some of the utility cuts of the war years!

Anyway - thats enough from me for now - I've really enjoyed what I've read so far, and am looking forward to spending more time in the lounge!

Vix
xx

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hi Etienne! Thank you so much for the lovely welcome!

Thanks Maisie! I'm in the frozen North! lol Beautiful but breezy Yorkshire!

By the way - I've just spotted your piccy on the hairstyles page and you looked stunning - I'm green with envy!!

Nice to meet you!

Vix
x

maisie

Practically Family
Thanks for compliment, that picture was taken at Beltring, the War and Peace Show, last year. Have you ever been to that show, I think it has to be one of the best shows of the year!:)

V For Vixen

New in Town
You're welcome - credit where credit's due!!

Yes - been to Beltring a couple of times! Camped out all week - an interesting experience!! 5am dash to the showers etc LOL!!

We haven't been for a few years now, because its just too easy to spend tooooooooooooooooooo much money!! [bad] Its also quite a hike for us - especially when doing it in a vintage vehicle!! :p

We loved it though - got to meet some lovely people!

V
xx

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
you'll have to post some pics of your wedding! there's something about wedding pictures that are so great to look at :) 40s and 50s wedding dresses are absolutely beautiful! I was looking at them the other day on the computer and now wishing I could do a do-over of my own! that's one of the downfalls of getting 'hitched' right out of high school!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21