Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I guess it's time for me to say hi. I found the Lounge just a couple weeks ago. I was doing a search about hats and got a link to the hat forum. This is the kind of community I've been looking for.

I grew up watching old movies. I liked Hope and Crosby, Abbot and Costello and the Marx Brothers before I knew who they were. My favorite actor is Cary Grant and my favorite movie is Singing in the Rain.

I'm 44. I wore typical jeans and t-shirts until I got to college. I found a copy of Egon von Furstenberg's book The Power Look. It was the first book I found that instead of saying "wear this exactly in this way" it said there are certain basic rules of style because it looks right, but you can adapt those rules to suit your personality. I started reading a lot more about men's clothing and style. I've spent the last twenty years developing my personal style. I don't dress strictly vintage but my look tends to lean that way because the mid-twentieth centery was the height of men's style.

I recently got interested in hats and as I said found this site. I'm going to be around here a lot and hopefully I'll get to some gatherings and meet fellow loungers.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
I live up in Trondheim Djupis, although I'm actually a New Zealander.

Used to live in Bodø the first time I lived in Norway.

I think we've got a couple of people from Oslo here and there's one from Bergen. There's also a few Danes and Swedes on here as well.

I must say, that's quite a long way!
Oh, and by the way, if any of you in Norway have got any tips on stores or places to get vintage I'd be most grateful!

Miss Munch

New in Town
My first message!

Hi, this is my first official day in the Lounge, ive been visiting for a while now and I think I'm going to move in. Are there any other members in New Zealand around? I would be great to share some local knowledge. Thanks for having me! Miss Munch.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Miss Munch said:
Hi, this is my first official day in the Lounge, ive been visiting for a while now and I think I'm going to move in. Are there any other members in New Zealand around? I would be great to share some local knowledge. Thanks for having me! Miss Munch.

Hello, Miss Munch! Love the Avatar! :D

Gigi

New in Town
Hola, this is my first post in this fine place. I found it some time ago while searching for something vintage related, but just restumbled upon it.
My name is Gigi and I'm somewhere around 20 years old. I've been into vintage clothing in general for a long time, mainly out of a want to be different. I'm really into anything from the '30s-mid '60s culturally and beyond, mainly caused by my disdain for so much of modern society and its values. I really like to dress in '40s-'50s wear. I got into that because I went from having a stick figure to great curves a few years ago and realized I had the perfect body for the era. I like the pinup look, but I'm into the innocent, wholesome pinup look, not the retro, uber sexy look that is more popular today, such as with Dita Von Teese.

Anyway, I can't wait to talk to everyone here. I need people who understand!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer

Hi there everybody!!!! My name is Courtney and I'm 23 years old. I was fortunate to find the Fedora Lounge through searching about hair rats. I'm so excited there are people to share thoughts and ideas with. I grew up in Santa Clarita, but now live in Burbank. I'm a receptionist by day and go to beauty school at night. I've always loved the fashions of the 40's and 50's, but never thought people still had passion for the past until I met my bf. I now feel like I'm my true self and glad to see others share in the retro fashions. :eek:

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
I wanted to officially say hello to everyone here. I have been visiting the FL neighborhood for sometime, and finally decided it was about time I move in. My hubby and I have been into everything 40s vintage for about 8 years. Its nice to have somewhere to share ideas, finds, styles, etc.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hi everyone!!!

My name is Courtney and I just joined the forum recently. I am a receptionist by day and a beauty school student at night. I specialize in retro hairstyles and mainly updo's. I discovered this forum after looking up information about hair rats. I love seeing there's other people who share my interests. :)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Welcome. I can see your skills apparent in your avatar already. :)

Skills? Yes......I'm sitting in front of my work computer about to type. I was happy because at my school it was free dress day so I got to wear my blue sweater with my blue dress. I'm so happy about this forum otherwise I'd be sitting all day in front of my screen completely bored.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Hey, I'm Rob...I'm 44, live in Florida, have a wife of 20 years and 2 teenaged sons, 16 and 14...I work as a land surveyor cartographer (26 years), and have my own house plan design business....My hobbies: WW2 reenacting, Allied and Axis history, collecting anything vintage (30s thru 50s), restoring my 1943 GPW and my other hot rods, collecting music of all types (just about;) ), steam trains, vintage baseball, Star Wars costuming, and about a million other things that I don't have the space to list....I found this site while surfing Google for a hat about 2 months ago...and I liked what I saw, so I left my "lurker" status and signed on to check it out! So far, it's been a pleasant experience...everyone has been really helpful, and more importantly, friendly....an especially rare quality to find these days!:D
Rob

Jovan

Suspended
RetroBabydoll said:
Skills? Yes......I'm sitting in front of my work computer about to type. I was happy because at my school it was free dress day so I got to wear my blue sweater with my blue dress. I'm so happy about this forum otherwise I'd be sitting all day in front of my screen completely bored.
I meant hairdressing. :p

Rider

Familiar Face
It's time I throw my hat in the ring, as it were. I've been lurking here for some time now, but decided it's time to step out of the shadows.

I've been a hat guy since I was a little kid watching Captain Kangaroo. I guess that kind of dates me. The Captain (or was it Mr. Greenjeans?) always had this hat tree with hats representative of different occupations. He'd don a hat and use it as a teachable moment about this or that. I was a little kid in an era when the men in my family and most of the men I knew wore fedoras. I always liked them and thought I would have one when I grew up. Alas, when I grew up they were out of vogue, replaced by the long-hair trends of the late 60's and 70's. I went along.

I'm older now. My long hair is long gone (as is much of my hair, period). I am at a stage in life where I enjoy doing what I want and am less concerned about what others think of it. I started wearing a fedora about 10 years ago, I suppose. I also have a fondness for newsboy caps.

Up until now, I've been wearing what I have been able to find in hat stores: a Dobbs and a Bailey. With the wisdom gathered from this site, I have just received my first Akubra Federation in carbon grey. I have been experimenting with my first bash attempt. Right now it has a diamond crease. We'll see how it looks in its final form. I think I see a Camptown in my future, and probably many more.

Anyway, I've enjoyed hanging around and plan on sticking around. Good to be here.

Bassman

A-List Customer
Hello all. My name's Guy and I've been lurking for a while.
I found this site while searching for hats and retro style wear.

I'm originally from Brooklyn (I like to think that if I had been in some squad in WWII, I'd be the one they called "Brooklyn"), and now live in New Jersey.
I've been into hats since my teens and still feel a fondness for a long gone grey Stetson fedora with black band that I picked up at a thrift store in the old neighborhood. Maybe my love for this look came from hours spent in front of the TV as a lad watching The Adventures Of Superman and those Republic serials in which (as my father loved to point out) the hats NEVER fell off the actors no matter how violent the free-for-all!
I'm a lover of clothing and car styles from the '30s, '40s & '50s but by no means an authority. These were great eras for films too. But I'm not telling you folks anything you don't already know.

I'm a video editor by trade and a part-time musician playing rockabilly, country, rock & roll, rhythm & blues, swing, blues and more.
I'm not concerned (at this point) with owning actual vintage gear. I just like having some swell looking items to wear daily and to perform in.
I'd like to eventually own a fine quality brown fedora (TVA/Howard Hughes/Indiana Jones (UGH! I really regret the stigma that character ((Indy- not Hughes)) has attatched to this type of hat).
What do I know. I've probably just described 3 entirely different types of hat there anyway. Well, I hope to learn more from you folks.

I'm a firm believer in "reading more and posting less", but since I need at least 15 posts before some features of the board are made available to me...
you might be in for some "post padding" from me.:p
-Guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21