Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Pleased to meet you.

Hi there.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and figured it was time to properly introduce myself. I am a 45-year-old father of a 17 y.o. daughter and 11 y.o. son. Their mother passed away a few years ago and I've been home with them pretty much ever since. I am now preparing to get back into school/the workforce. I have a graduate degree in Psychology, but there is no opportunity to use that credential short of practicing therapy. After ten years, I have spent my last hour in a room with a weeping person. I have also resolved to dress better.

Over the past few years I put on weight and outgrew the couple of suits and very nice dress coat that I own, so I invested in a new wardrobe. Luckily, I have grown into my father's "old" suits. He has been in declining health for the past couple of years and doesn't dress up much or go out. He has also shrunk to the point that a lot of his suits no longer fit (I'm a 48 short with a 38" waist). I have also found online shopping a boon!

This stuff is all new, but I've had an admiration for the style I used to see in old movies. I grew up in a small town in southeastern New Mexico and there just wasn't much to do. I watched a lot of Bogart, Cagney, E.G. Robinson, the Marx Brothers, etc. While I am too big a chicken and don't have much of an opportunity to get into actual vintage, I have a real interest in vintage and vintage inspired. Now, I've reached a point in my life when it seems like investing in a hat might not be a bad idea.

Trouble is, around here "hat" means "cowboy". While my father grew up on farms in the area and has had a definite southwestern flare, I have not. Also, this is a cranny of the world where "dressed up" means Dockers and a button down shirt. And I'm the only person I've seen even attempt to wear a pocket square.

In an effort to further educate myself about matters of style, including hats, I found The Fedora Lounge. This is a really cool place and I've learned a heap. Thanks to everyone here for the opportunity. I will continue to lurk around and do my little part to make the world a better dressed place. And I'll probably risk irritating you folks with goofy questions now and again. I appreciate your patience.

Mark Adams

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Good evening

I've lurked here from time to time for quite a while, but never registered until recently. I've been wearing fedoras for more than 13 years, but other than religious devotion to proper attire in an increasingly casual world, that's mostly the extent of my foray into vintage fashion.

I've just returned from overseas, and in an effort to readjust to proper civilian life, I'm slowly revamping my wardrobe. As such, I've been combing through Fedora Lounge a bit more frequently of late. I appreciate the extremely civil atmosphere here, and the knowledge of the members. I doubt I'll have much to contribute, but I will certainly enjoy learning from others here.

My hat collection started with a very sleek, low-crowned fedora with a fairly wide brim from JJ Hats in NYC back in the early 90s. It was kind of an odd, green/brown/kangaroo color that went well with just about anything. Alas, the crown got slashed open with a knife, and overall it's a bit worse for wear, so it's retired.

These days I rotate among a Stetson Chatham (black), a couple of 'Litefelt' wool stingy-brims by Broner and Bailey (gray and brown, respectively), a black Doria cap, and now my new Borsalino Como (taupe). I even have a larger 7 3/4 Chatham in reserve, in case I grow hippie hair again.

Cheers, and I'll see you around.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Really?

I suspect it's not where you think it is, as there's not really much to do in that alley unless you're really into fish or spirit-chasing. I could be wrong, though. That's the front of the Wah Mee Club in Seattle's International District. Site of the bloodiest massacre in the city's history. Closed and vacant for more than 20 years, unless of course you count the ghosts. The doors are chained shut, but most of the time you can pull them apart just enough for a peek inside... Linkage below for the history.

http://www.wahmee.com/chapone.html

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I just found this thread, after being on the FL for a few months.

My name is Desi, and I followed a few of my friends over to here from LiveJournal and I must say, this is becoming my new favorite place to hang out.

I live in Tucson, originally from New York, and looking to make new friends, online and in the real world.. whatever that means. :rolleyes:

Nice to meet all of you!

Desi

K

killertomata

Is there an "I'm back" thread?

I dunno that anyone would notice, as I'm not as active and not a veteran of the forums, but I went away for a bit and am back now. I missed this place!

I just want to say how unique this place is, if all didn't know it already... have looked for other vintage forums here and there and all others pale in comparison.

Socrets

Familiar Face
Well, I'm a student at the College of William and Mary (Government major. For now.). I found this website when I was searching for a way to get rid of some sweat stains on my fedora ribbon. I'll admit I've been a huge of the noir genre but while it has sorta pushed me to try to look better, it's not what really got to try and adopt the style completely. Essentially, I've been Lindy Hopping for over a year now and, frankly, I figured my clothes might as well at least look good on the dance floor (hence, the need for sweat stain removal). I've been wearing my first fedora (a gray Stetson) pretty much full time now (it's freezing, rainy, and windy. I've also manage to lose three umbrellas in less than a month. Luckily, I have a vinyl protector.) So I guess I'll see you all around the forums then!

Kitty M

New in Town
New and a little shy...

Hi there! I'm also a newbie to wearing 40s (and 30s/50s!) clothes as a fashion.

I'm a 28 year old from Brisbane in Australia. I work full time at an IT helpdesk but in my spare time do many different hobbies including historical costuming which is what bought me to wearing vintage fashion.

Feebeeps

New in Town
Hi, I'm Danielle, 28 and live in Utah (plan to leave soon).

I found the FL through another message board. Someone wanted information on vintage clothes and the link was posted, so I jumped at the chance to join :)
I am a massive fan of the 30's, 40's and 50's and early 60's (my avatar is from this past halloween at a fondue party), and I have always enjoyed the styles and mindset of the time. Also, as a child, I was a fan of Back To the Future and films like that which re-created the era. When my friend and I stayed a night at the Queen Mary in Long Beach about ten years ago, I was hooked!

This is a nice place so far and I am enjoying my stay :)

Drew Bergstrom

New in Town
I was told about this joint by a friend that I've made on another site; she thought I might be interested in the Lounge because we share an interest the 1940's and 50's.

Looks like I'm going to have to thank her.:)

My fascination with the era began in high school when I was first introduced to some films from the era, particularly Film Noir and Universal Horror. My interest only increased in college where I studied film production, criticism and review.

I have also become a fan of the vintage radio serials and pulps. In fact I mvoiced characters in a college buddies' radio drama he did for a production class.

Also, I love Zeppelins, just be careful what you fill them with.

I'm also a fan of the fashions of the era, and since first visiting the Lounge I've found a swell hat I'll need to pick-up; also I feel I now have reason to have my vintage pocketwatch repaired.:D

Currently, and for the forseeable future, I live in Westerville, Ohio; a suburb of Columbus.

Keep 'em flying,

Drew

Jovan

Suspended
Drew Bergstrom said:
Also, I love Zeppelins, just be careful what you fill them with.
Apparently that's a myth. It was found the material that the actual balloon construction was made of was the culprit... it contained a flammable substance used later as solid rocket fuel at NASA! o_O

Anyways, welcome aboard!

Drew Bergstrom

New in Town
Jovan said:
Apparently that's a myth. It was found the material that the actual balloon construction was made of was the culprit... it contained a flammable substance used later as solid rocket fuel at NASA! o_O

Anyways, welcome aboard!

Thanks. I've always liked the conspiracy theory that the Hindenberg exploded as the result of sabotage. Not that I believe in the theory, but it makes for a great story.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Hello

Relatively new here, been lurking for some time.

I have been fond of the Golden era from early in life, watching the Universal horror movies on TV, and from WWII history.

I mainly am interested in outerwear of the era, although after visiting this site that has changed somewhat - taper haircut, pomade, looking at a fedora, etc. :)

Looks like a great place to spend some time.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Hello....I'm Michelle, 25, from Toronto (Canada!). I love the music of the early 30's through mid-60's, which is what kind of got me into vintage style. I have "lurked" this board for a couple years and finally decided to take the plunge. I work a desk job and as a baker, and am a history student.

I guess that's it, I never really know what to say in these things../

Wallace

New in Town
Watching.....

I too have been strolling in and out of the lounge. Yet I don't think at this point since my clothing is up to the level of you veterans out there that I would be of use to anyone. I'll enjoy the surroundings, you all look fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk