Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
volatile said:
Evenin' chaps and chapesses... I've been registered on here for a good few months, and have been lurking for a good while longer, but I took the plunge into actually posting today. I invested in some rather eccentric new suits (not typical FL-fare, but interesting nonetheless), so I thought I'd solicit the opinions and advice of those more dapper than I could ever hope to be!

I'm a scruffy oik who has recently discovered the joys of a well-fitting suit, taut pair of braces and a fantastic pair of shoes. My general style flirts with "1940s gas station attendant on a date", and I guess that sums me up a lot of the time - I tend to live in a flat cap, tatty newsboy or ragged Fedora paired with a less-than-perfectly-ironed shirt and an interesting suit. I prefer single breasted suits with brace buttons, and have a growing appreciation for ticket pockets...

nice to see someone mixing tonnes of ink and vintage. there has been threads on that subject but i'm yet to see someone (from the UK too!) on here who shares my affinity for vast amounts of tattoos.
welcome, mr!
x

volatile

A-List Customer
sophia la shok said:
nice to see someone mixing tonnes of ink and vintage. there has been threads on that subject but i'm yet to see someone (from the UK too!) on here who shares my affinity for vast amounts of tattoos.
welcome, mr!
x

Hello hello! Seeing as nearly all my tattoos are based directly on or heavily inspired by 1930s - 1940s designs, I hope I'm not upsetting too many applecarts!

An absolute pleasure to make your acquaintance! x

Jovan

Suspended
Believe me, you aren't. It's been discussed and discussed before many times. Maybes your gauges would upset some people, but that's frankly not any of their concern.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
volatile said:
Hello hello! Seeing as nearly all my tattoos are based directly on or heavily inspired by 1930s - 1940s designs, I hope I'm not upsetting too many applecarts!

An absolute pleasure to make your acquaintance! x

i can assure you, the pleasure is all mine.
i did spy from your avatar that they were old school based.
very nice.
i would talk on great lenths about the matter but this is hardly the thread for such a discussion. lol

nice to have someone living closer than london or scotland too!

xxx

VivaciousLady

New in Town
Hiya!

Hello :)

I'm Sara from WA! I've been a lurker for a little bit now, and finally decided to register. Let's see, what should I say? :D I love history. I got into the "golden era" via movies. I didn't used to like classic movies too much, but a friend of mine got me into them and now TCM is my best friend! My favorite eras are the 20s and 40s- not that I have anything against the 30s, but I'm just drawn to those two decades for some reason!

My screen name comes from a James Stewart & Ginger Rogers movie. I didn't particularly love the movie, but they're two of my absolute favorite actors. A few other of my favorite movies: "Best Years of our Lives", "Meet John Doe", "His Girl Friday" and the list goes on...:D

I also love the music from the period. Just about anything floats my boat, but I really like the swing and jazz. Also I love swing dancing, but there aren't many good places to take lessons around here!!! So watching videos on the net has been as close as I can get!

As for dressing the part, I don't have any vintage clothes yet. I'm (attempting to be) a sewer, and hoping to whip up a few things that way. I love seeing all your pictures and knowing that I'm not alone in this big wide world!

Anyway nice to meet you and thought I'd introduce myself in case you wonder who that person is who occasionally posts... :D

BORNTOOLATE

New in Town
What a great find. I was surfing and fell on this by accident. I'm a member of the HAMB (Hokey Ass Message Board) where traditionally built and customized pre-64 cars and events are discussed. I wondered for a long time if such a board as this existed, so here I'm is and how cool. I've loved the "Golden Age" as long as I could form such an opinion. I was listening to Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Glenn Miller, etc. when I was in high school in the early 80s. Needless to say, I couldn't find other people to share my interests other than my parents. I think I was even more hard core about it than them. I am a "traditional" hat wearer. I don't have anything high style and vintage yet but I'm looking. I live in an arts and crafts 1920s house that belonged to my wife's great grandparents. Although my selfish interests are somewhat on hold with three small rugrats to rear, my passion is old cars. I have three early sixties Fords and will sometime have my grandfather's 1940 Ford. I get uncomfortable using the word "I" too many times, so that's enough about me. I'll get back to lurking until I have something substative to add. Thanks for being here.

Copacetic

New in Town
Hello! I've been lurking here a few days and decided I should go ahead and post. Since we purchased our house five years ago, I've been decorating it with vintage and Mid-Century Mod items. I love history and fashion, so past eras really appeal to me.

I especially like the silhouettes and appearances of men's clothing from this era, so I'll be utilizing the discussions here to help dress my man. ;)

Hausfrau

New in Town
Howdy!

I stumbled upon this forum yesterday and I am glad I can finally post! I think the "Golden Era" is just wonderful and I have a deep interest especially in all things related to WWII.

I have been collecting vintage odds and ends for as long as I can remember but I don't think I have ever dressed vintage before, but it's never too late to start.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone on the forum! Oh, and I am twenty two... Housewife.. that's me in my avatar. Once I get a hang of pin-curls I'll post a 'do, until then it's much too embarrassing!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hausfrau said:
I stumbled upon this forum yesterday and I am glad I can finally post! I think the "Golden Era" is just wonderful and I have a deep interest especially in all things related to WWII.

I have been collecting vintage odds and ends for as long as I can remember but I don't think I have ever dressed vintage before, but it's never too late to start.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone on the forum! Oh, and I am twenty two... Housewife.. that's me in my avatar. Once I get a hang of pin-curls I'll post a 'do, until then it's much too embarrassing!

Yay! Another AZ lady! Head over to the Events!

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Thats OK with me

Just joined a short bit ago. Stumbled on the site as I was looking for info on hats and vintage. I have to say overall, I dig the style that people are putting out. The diversity is what is most impressive so far. From tattooed porkpie hat wearers to WW II buffs. I have eclectic tastes and this seems a good fit.
A little about me... I recently moved to Portland from NYC. I love NY always will but needed the change of pace. And what a pleasant surprise to find affordable vintage! I am still searching for the perfect wool three piece... but thats the fun part.
I don't adhere to one style or look but grew up loving old - especially Grant and Hepburn- movies. Now, as I've grown older my interests have grown in turn. A short list; Vintage motorcycles, old trucks and good scotch. A girl once told me that I love old things because I have a deep need to connect to the past as some sort of therapy. I don't know about all that. But now, I feel I've found some kindred souls. There is a wealth of information here that I look forward to jumping into. Thanks.

Lothlorien

New in Town
Hello everyone,

after lurking here for a while, I finally registered yesterday.
My name is Lothlorien, I'm 28 years old, married and from M?ºnster/Germany.
As long as I can remember I have been into historical clothing (medieval, baroque, but also 1930s/1940s) and I have a passion for antiques, old books and classical music.
I only started out dressing vintagey, and I found so much good information here... so I'm really glad I found this board. :)

Choeki

Familiar Face
Hello! It seems I've been a bit recalcitrant on an announcement here, but I suppose it can be excused since I didn't enter this particular part of the message board until this evening...

Nevertheless, I'm happy to have been welcomed here so readily after hopping in both feet first after testing the waters for a week or so lurking as a guest. I was aware that there was a significant subculture with interest in vintage wear and associated subject matter, but was unaware of the existence of this forum until recently. Granted, I suppose I'm a bit of a dilettante at the moment regarding style since the majority of my actual vintage articles of clothing are limited more towards accessories and jewelry (cuff links, tie bars, wristwatches, etc.). Nevertheless, with the input and guidance of the established members of this message board I imagine I'll be able to catch up in no time. :D

Sassman

New in Town
Brand new member

I'm new here and I've been spending a lot of time pouring over old posts for items of interest. One thing I can't seem to locate is anything about men's shoes. I found one thread about sneaker repros in accessories, but I thought there would be more. Can someone put me on the beam?

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Hausfrau said:

On behalf of the gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you and your two absolutely SMASHING eyebrows to the Lounge.

Crikey,

T.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Greetings!

I just found this forum about a week ago and I'm so glad I found it! I've always been drawn to all things 40's & 50's and love old movies, clothes, furnishings, the whole 9 yards. Like many of you, I think I was born too late!

I am a housewife & student...and yes, I occassionally wear an apron and pearls. My friends think I've singlehandedly killed feminism. I'm happy to be here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner