Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Mojito

One Too Many
Welcome to the new girls!

VintageJoAnn, I so love talking to dealers who are passionate about vintage - they've got the experience having seen so much material, but their thorough enjoyment of the subject, fueled by that knowledge, is inspirational. I'm looking forward to your posts.

JassCat1923 - Hallelujah, another 20s girl! Are there any recordings of your work online? Miss 1929 is another Jazz Artiste. Here's a bit of bootleg liquor, ignore the cellar sniffers, and let's hear some anecdotes from the Jazz Age!

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
Add one more to the list

Greetings everyone ~ My name is Daniel Jacob. I'm from Los Angeles, California (well, I just say that because no one's ever heard of West Covina).
I'm an artist turned graphic designer turned ameatuer film maker and my genre of choice is silent films.

As you may guess with the love of silent films, I have an affinity with the 19-teens & 20's with my favorite actor is definitely Buster Keaton. Harold Lloyd is a very close second. I love ye olde slapstick comedies and hopefully I'll get to make one one of these days.

I'm looking forward to making lots of new friends here. I've been in the shadows for a short while now and I figured it's time to stop lurking and start shaking hands. Cheers, everyone!

n516676663_579919_7334.jpg

JassCat1923

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome!

It's great to know that there are other 20s girls out there (and musicians at that!). Some of us were talking the other day about how difficult it would have been to find each other in the pre-internet age; thank goodness for technology!

I do have a couple of band clips on a friend's MySpace page -- "The Stampede" is my favorite. I'm playing washboard on "Sunday," "Susie," and "Birmingham Bertha," which we recorded in a sleazy bar; there were some first-rate musicians on that gig, but the music was wasted on the audience.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...&MyToken=73d5b094-e8e4-4f53-93bb-2f37fc567914

lady eel

New in Town
Hi all,
I found this place through a post on the Vintage Fashion Guild. There is a lot of great info here, I'll be using ya'll! I've been browsing and you guys are far too polite, I'll try to be good.
I live in So. California, am a bartender/waitress and a vintage clothing dealer. Right now I sell at the Rose Bowl flea market but I keep saying I'll get back to on-line selling also. Someday I hope to open a store, mainly so I can get all this vintage crap out of my house.
I used to dress strictly 40's-50's but now I find myself jumping all over the place from victorian to tacky 80's. I guess I just adore fashion and unique style.

lady eel

New in Town
Hi, I introduced myself in another place and I'm lazy so I'll cut and paste, hehe. I have also done a bit of pin-up modeling (even though I'm old) but most are in lingerie (layers of the stuff, and nothing showing but I don't know what I can post????) ack!

Hi all,
I found this place through a post on the Vintage Fashion Guild. There is a lot of great info here, I'll be using ya'll! I've been browsing and you guys are far too polite, I'll try to be good.
I live in So. California, am a bartender/waitress and a vintage clothing dealer. Right now I sell at the Rose Bowl flea market but I keep saying I'll get back to on-line selling also. Someday I hope to open a store, mainly so I can get all this vintage crap out of my house.
I used to dress strictly 40's-50's but now I find myself jumping all over the place from victorian to tacky 80's. I guess I just adore fashion and unique style.

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
I live next to West Covina, but never heard of it.

Figures. ;)
The only reason there even is a West Covina is because in the 20's Covina literally wanted to make the area their sewage dump. Residents objected so they made the place a town instead. Oddly enough over the years most of West Covina turned out to be quite a dump on it's own accord.

Nice to meet ya, Mr. John in Covina. :)

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
Hi. I'm new here. I've been lurking around here reading posts for quite a while, and I thought that was quite rude, so I've properly joined. Hello!

A bit about myself...
I live in a suburban-ish city right outside of Boston MA. I've been collecting and wearing a mix of vintage and vintage inspired clothing for years. I tend to gravitate toward the 1950s mostly, but am not so particular that I'll disregard something that's not of that era.

um, what else? I'm a graphic designer by day and also own a small lip balm company that I've owned and run for the last 6 years.

I'm horrible with these sorts of "write about yourself" things, so that's all I've got! Hello!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LawnFlamingo said:
Hi. I'm new here. I've been lurking around here reading posts for quite a while, and I thought that was quite rude, so I've properly joined. Hello!

Actually, lurking first is a good idea and a great way to learn about the peculiarities and rules of this board before joining!

So you're from the Boston-area, eh? Are you involved in the roots music scene here at all? We might know each other.

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
Hi!

Yep. Boston-ish. I actually live in Revere, but know one outside of MA seems to know where that is.

I am! I go to a lot of shows around here. We've probably been to a lot of the same shows. I used to go to a lot of shows in New York too, but with the gas prices being what they are, I don't drive out there as much, unfortunately.

The "scene" or whatever you want to call it is so small here in Boston, that it's nice to meet like-minded people in the area!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LawnFlamingo said:
Yep. Boston-ish. I actually live in Revere, but know one outside of MA seems to know where that is.

REALLY??? I live in Revere too!

I am! I go to a lot of shows around here. We've probably been to a lot of the same shows. I used to go to a lot of shows in New York too, but with the gas prices being what they are, I don't drive out there as much, unfortunately.

The "scene" or whatever you want to call it is so small here in Boston, that it's nice to meet like-minded people in the area!

I agree. Are you going to see Johnny Carlevale at the Plough tonight?

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
WOW! You live in Revere too!? That's crazy! I used to live in Allston, but moved out of there when I realized I wasn't in college anymore. hehe.

I love Revere, there are beautiful mid-century ranch houses hidden around and it's still really close to the city.

Yep. I'm going to that show. I'd say that I'll say hello this evening, but I have no idea what you look like and vice/versa! So.. uh, if you're at that show and you see a gal with a cluster of lemons on her forearm, along with a diner waitress and some lawn flamingos on the back of her upper arm, that'd be me.. so say hello!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LawnFlamingo said:
I love Revere, there are beautiful mid-century ranch houses hidden around and it's still really close to the city.

I moved there a year and a half ago, when I realized I could cut my rent in half if I moved out of Cambridge. I live just up from the beach and it's taken me awhile to love it but I do - the little bodegas, the old-school working class attitude that's still a tad rough-and-tumble, and I love the way the area seems less prone to gentrification than other areas of Boston. I'm close to the beach, and not far from the city either.

Yep. I'm going to that show. I'd say that I'll say hello this evening, but I have no idea what you look like and vice/versa! So.. uh, if you're at that show and you see a gal with a cluster of lemons on her forearm, along with a diner waitress and some lawn flamingos on the back of her upper arm, that'd be me.. so say hello!

I'll definitely say hi. I'll be the one with the two-toned hair - pretty hard to miss.

OK folks, sorry to hijack this thread. Back to our regularly scheduled programming now!

votan

New in Town
intro...

hello, i've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. i was in the navy and have a degree in archaeology. i like all kinds of old stuff. so, hello to you all!

Hannahlmatt

New in Town
Hey y'all!

I'm from North Carolina and I'm in my teens.

I suppose my love for vintage stuff came from watching TCM all of the time.
My favorite decades are the 40's and 50's.

Hannah :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LawnFlamingo, wanted to send you a PM, but you don't have enough posts here yet for that :-/

It was great meeting you at the show on Friday! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to catch you before you took off. Thanks for coming out and hopefully I'll see you at more shows over the summer!

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
Sorry to hijack this thread for a minute...

Hi! It was swell meeting you too! I was peeping around before I left in order to say bye, but I couldn't find you. My friends were itching to get home so i had to take off rather quickly.

I'm sure I'll see you around either at the Plough or TTs... there are a few good shows coming up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ