Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Hello

I have just joined your Forum, although I have visited a number of times before deciding to join in on the fun. I live in WA state in the Pacific NorthWet.

My primary vintage possession is my 1952 Chevrolet Styleline sedan. I am the third owner and am currently working on finishing its restoration. Enough of me. Thank you for allowing me to join in.

mellie

New in Town
Thanks Lauren, for the introduction! I found this site through a friend of mine who is an amazing milliner (http://beatrixdesigns.com) and I am trying to become a dressmaker, in a vintage style of course, and so we trade ideas and resources. She told me about the Stop Staring site listed here and its really inspiring to hear all of these voices who are into similar things! I love to Thrift and scrounge around for vintage treasures and fabrics, and I've taken to taking apart lots of things and reconstructing/resurrecting them using vintage patterns. Sometimes its difficult without any formal training (like it took forever before I realized how to make my own bias binding), but I'm having fun figuring out the tricks and terms, its like a puzzle...and I'm getting pretty experienced. I'm glad I found this site, there is so much valuable info!
etsy041ga3.jpg

img2321qy2.jpg

katiepickle

New in Town
52Styleline, that is a sweet car. My primary vintage possession is also my car (an unrestored 64 Falcon currently undergoing an engine rebuild; I am the 4th owner), but it is not as vintage as I would like it to be. My graduation present to myself is going to be a early 50s wagon.

Lil Susie

New in Town
I am a brand new dame in the lounge!

I´m a redheaded glamourpuss from Finland, and I am so glad I found this place.
So, basically I am obsessed with everything especially 30´s, and 40´s is a close second but generally that vintage glamour that we all love in this place.

I make my own 30s inspired clothing as best as I can, and the rest I find from very good thrift stores...and my grandmothers attic! :)

I´m also an aspiring jazz singer, hoping to make my living doing it someday, taking lessons and stuff.

anyway, have a swingin´ day all you betties and joes! (don´t know how I came up with that!) :D

June

Familiar Face
Hello All,
I've been lurking about and enjoying the postings on the Lounge for a couple of months now. I'm originally from southern Virginia (and still consider it home) but have lived in NJ for the past 16 years.
Ended up in the Lounge while searching for info. on vintage dressing and hangar dances. Attended the WWII Weekend in Reading Pa last year with my sister-in-law, and we thought we might try dressing for the occasion this year.
I'm an amateur genealogist, and my dream job is to be an historian with JPAC-the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Donna/Dante

New in Town
I'll jump in...

Hi, Y'all...

I just joined the board last night, or I suppose I should say really early this morning...

I've been into wearing vintage clothing(40s-50s) since high school (late 80s-early 90s), and I do a lot of my own sewing. I have a collection of vintage patterns from the 40s and 50s, with a couple from the 30s, and have made very careful tracings so I could actually reproduce the clothing. :) I started tailoring zoot suits last year, and if my avatar photo actually uploaded, thats me wearing my first one in the pic. I finished my second one last month, and actually made a skirt to go with it, along with the trousers.

I have a great love of swing and rockabilly music, and I also rather like doo-wop music. I sang with a doo-wop ensemble back in high school.

I like hats. I like a nice hat on a man, and I like a nice hat on me. I like whiskey, and shooting pool, and bowling (I really suck at bowling, but it's fun). I like to read a good book, and I like to dance (and often sing) to a good song. If I'm bored or stressed, I'll often go into the kitchen and bake something tasty, and then I'll give it to someone, because I'm just that way.

Anyway, that's some stuff about me. I'm here.

-d

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge beaucailou! Great to see another Northwesterner!:D Me and MK know of a few great places as well, we'll have to hook up sometime!
Btw: Have you discovered the vintage shop, 'Avalon' yet?

glass susie

New in Town
New girl!

Hello all, I have read your threads with joy for a while now, and now I have registered I look forward to chatting to all you gorgeous ladies!

To explain, my user name comes from my company name, Stained Glass Susie, I make and restore stained glass panles & windows, it doesn't relate how fragile I am!

Susie.

glass susie

New in Town
Coincidence! I'm another Susie and new here!

I'm in my ealry 30s and have 2 young sons, Harry & Wilfred.
My husband and I have members of a living history group for many years and both love the war time civilian styles too. We had a 1940s style wedding, see piccies on the modern wedding dresses thread.
I own and ride a 1944 BSA M20 motorcycle and I have full ATS Dispatch Riders uniform for it. I have done talks, displays and presentations on the role of women in the Second World War. I have also done ours In Normandy on my bike.
At the moment I am at home with the children but in any spare time I make and restore stained glass windows and hope to set up in business full time when they are both at school.

I look forward to chatting to you all.

Warden

One Too Many
What ho Susie

We will be performing at a Living History event every close to you, just over the water on the Isle of Wight this summer.

Welcome to the lounge

Harry & Edna (Craig & Amanda)

GOK

One Too Many
Hello Susie - welcome to the Lounge. If you have images of your work, do post them in the Display Case in the main part of the Lounge and/or here in the Show Us What You Made one (it's not just about clothes!). I for one, would be very interested in seeing your work. :)

glass susie

New in Town
GOK said:
Hello Susie - welcome to the Lounge. If you have images of your work, do post them in the Display Case in the main part of the Lounge and/or here in the Show Us What You Made one (it's not just about clothes!). I for one, would be very interested in seeing your work. :)
Thanks for the welcomes, I have posted some pics in the Show Us What You Made thread. Enjoy, apologies if you are on dial up!

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Hello, cats and kittens.

First, the name. It's a compilation of the first syllables of my sons' names (Sam and Reuben). Next, the title: Spokes Man. That comes from the old heap in the garage, a '31 Ford coupe with -- yes -- spoke wheels. As I noted on another thread, it's not fast, but at least it's uncomfortable.

I came across the Lounge while researching A-2's, and almost immediately forgot what I sought as I read different threads about suits, hats, old cars, dances, antique photos and other things vintage. I was so intrigued that I forwarded the link to a buddy of mine, a newspaper editor. "What a fascinating site," he emailed back. "I never heard of it." Being an editor, that was a huge admission for him to make.

Home is Atlanta, where I live with the bride and the two boys in a creaky old bungalow that is slowly getting a facelift. She's a genial soul, my wife, accommodating my fascination with leather jackets and fedoras. She tells me I'm fixed in an earlier era. I say she's right.

How did this happen? I blame my grandparents, who lived next door when I was growing up. They routinely invited friends and relatives over on Sunday afternoons, and told me I could listen if I kept silent. (Parents: This is good advice for children to follow, as that is how they learn.) So I stayed quiet, usually crouching behind my grandmother's rocking chair. There, I listened to priceless recollections about the Depression, the war, how life had changed as one decade followed another. One ancient recalled seeing an airplane sputter over the trees -- the first he had ever seen. "It scared the horses and mules," he said. My grandmother replied that she recalled the first car she had ever seen -- a rattly, spindly thing, ka-pow'ing down the dirt road that threaded past the farmhouse where she lived. "It scared the horses and mules, too," she said. Those must have been tense times for the equine crowd.

I am happy to be part of this community of kindred souls.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
After reading so many introductions written articulately and with panache in this thread, my own "introduction" I fear will come off as boring and plain. Then again, toast isn't exactly exciting either, and that's been a breakfast staple for years. :p

I grew up in RI and have basically lived my entire life so far in RI/Southeastern Mass. I came across the F.L. doing a Google search for info on a trench coat. As someone who studied History and Anthropology in school and works at an American Illustration museum where a good number of the paintings were commissioned for clothing ads from the 1910's-1940's (any J.C. Leyendecker fans here by any chance?), the fact that the conversations that take place at the F.L. with people who have so much knowledge and enthusiasm for vintage fashion and days past in general is something that I enjoy and admire a great deal.

MB5

One of the Regulars
My interest lies in the 20s and 30s as well as 50s and 60s. I started off interested in the Space Age and I have been working backwards to Art Deco and Moderne. My collection of vintage fashion is still pretty lacking, but I have a few items. I do have a green wool fedora with a tear drop crown and I am looking at getting a fur one, probably in grey (thanks to the color chart posted here at the lounge).

Barry

Practically Family
June said:
Hello All,
I've been lurking about and enjoying the postings on the Lounge for a couple of months now. I'm originally from southern Virginia (and still consider it home) but have lived in NJ for the past 16 years.

Welcome aboard. I grew up in southern Viriginia as well - Newport News to be exact. I moved away a long time ago but I have family down at the beach now.

Barry

Propman

New in Town
New in the room...

Raised by grandparents, in Southern California. Grandfather, b. 1890, and Grandmother, b. 1893. Brought up in the style of the 30's... Packers Tar soap, small brimmed Stetson, Packard in the garage... My Grandpa was a cattleman, and auctioneer in the Imperial Valley. My Father, Tyler MacDuff, was a Cowboy Actor, in the 50's & 60's. He was very cool. I was named after Dana Andrews, who was friends with my Dad, at the Pasadena Playhouse in the 50's. Ray Burr was also a great family friend.
My Christy's Fedora sits well on my head, and has for 20 years...
I drink rye, and eat poached eggs on toast. Have a set of tails from the 30's, and long for a '37 Buick coupe. I am a propman in the 'picture business' in Hollywood, USA.
I guess that is me in a nutshell.
Glad to be here.
Dana the Propman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24