Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did we meet at the Ahwahnee last year?

Dracca said:
Hello :)

I introduced myself in a bit more detail earlier in the powder room but as I am just now making it over to this forum, I thought that I would pop in this thread and say hi here too. I found the site on a search for info on 1940's hairstyle tips and have been reading in the powder room and the beauty forum over the last few weeks. So much great info here, I just love it. :)

Hi Emily - there was a gal there last year for the Ahwahnee Heritage Holidays (early March) who was about your age, are you her? I am the pianist/singer who plays in the bar on that weekend - can you come this year? March 2-4.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
My name is Ashley,I know a few of you Via Myspace.Miss 1929 told me about this site,let me tell you I feel right at home.My favorite era would be 1936-1945.I really love the old fashion apple pie kind of living,the men were gents and the women were ladies.I fell as though I did once live in that era,I wear my hair in Rollers at night and wear bright red Nail polish and of coures Matching lip stick.

Moodle

New in Town
Hi all!

I'm Meghan, from California but been living in England for the last couple of years. I can't remember how I stumbled in here, but after several days of reading through lots of old threads I figured I should bite the bullet and register. :)

I've always liked old movies and music (my sisters and I obsessively watched Marx Brothers movies when we were little kids--beats Barney, I guess, but I'm still not sure how my mother coped with a house of girls playing imaginary harps and waggling invisible cigars...), but I've only lately been getting into dressing retro myself. I only bought my first proper red lipstick a couple of months ago!--but I'm having lots of fun. I'm a big knitter, so loved reading through the Vintage Knitting thread, and I'm jealous of all of you who can sew--that's the next skill I'm dying to pick up.

Oh, and on a random note, I've had a boost of help with vintage hair and makeup from my younger sister--she just completed a training program for makeup artists, so she's a wealth of info. She hasn't tired of my latenight phonecalls going "Okay, I need you to talk me through pin curls RIGHT NOW"--give her time...

Anyway, lovely to "meet" you all; I'm super-happy to be here!

HarryInTheHat

New in Town
Hey,

I'm new so I thought I'd say hi!!!!

I was browsing the good old interweb as I'm looking for a vintage-style wedding dress. I came across the Fedora Lounge and I thought, yes!!! This is the place me and my hubby need to be. (Let me explain: we are married, but are having a big ol' blessing in church in the summer). He and I both have a hat obsession....he's been chatted up by many ladies due to his rugged be-hatted good looks. His is a battered one, though, I think he needs a nice crisp new fedora. ;-) Anyway, just starting to get into all this.....

So, me. I am an archaeologist. I perhaps need to change my avatar to something more ladylike, but at least that's me in my Indy hat... ;-) I am English, but living in Maine. And I'm looking for new friends (I just moved here in january), places to go, things to do!!! Swing dancing? Burlesque clubs? Somewhere to go just to dress up?! etc....

any advice, hints, style tips, directions, recommendations, etc, gratefully received!!

Miss 1929

All about Ahwahnee

HollyGolightly said:
Hello Miss ^_^

Saddly I'm not that girl :(

I'm pretty bummed out about it since the Ahwahnee Heritage Holidays sounds like fun ^_^

Sorry ><

P.S. where is the Ahwahnee Heritage Holidays held at? & what goes down there?

Hi!
I created a thread about it, with the ticket info etc.:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=Ahwahnee

And it is March 2 - 4 2008!

It is a three-day vintage party, 20s - 40s, with lectures, movies, walking tours, a big fashion show, and live vintage music galore- Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys the first night, and grand ball with the Royal Society Jazz Orchestra the 2nd night, a tea dance (don't know which band yet) the third day in the day time, and me and many other artists in the Speakeasy the last night!
It is held in the gorgeous 1925 Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley.
Lots of costume changes and cocktails. And no tourists to speak of at that time of year!

Miss 1929

Hello Ashley!

Miss 1940's said:
Hi there,My name is Ashley...I know a few of you on here via Myspace....I am so glad that my friend told me about this site..you guys are so nice.I love to share my interest with other and explore the interest of others.

I am so glad to see you here! Don't forget to post a picture of yourself on "Ladies of the Lounge".

XO Sara

French

Familiar Face
my introduction

Hi,

my name is French, and I found this site while looking for some information on proper hats, not the caps that have permeated our society. I still haven't purchased my first real hat, but have been scouring the Burlington Coat Factory stores in my region as well as getting myself prepared for a trip to DelMonico Hatter in New Haven, CT.

The main association I have with vintage is I try to only use fountain pens or pencils as writing instruments. My collection of pens includes both modern and vintage, with a special attraction to Esterbrook and Parker fountain pens.

Career wise, I'm a scientist, so while steeped in tradition, the majority of my work is with software that analyzes DNA, so nothing really vintage there.

that is about all about me. thanks for reading
french

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
French said:
Hi,

my name is French, and I found this site while looking for some information on proper hats, not the caps that have permeated our society. I still haven't purchased my first real hat, but have been scouring the Burlington Coat Factory stores in my region as well as getting myself prepared for a trip to DelMonico Hatter in New Haven, CT.

The main association I have with vintage is I try to only use fountain pens or pencils as writing instruments. My collection of pens includes both modern and vintage, with a special attraction to Esterbrook and Parker fountain pens.

Career wise, I'm a scientist, so while steeped in tradition, the majority of my work is with software that analyzes DNA, so nothing really vintage there.

french

Welcome to the Lounge, french. I love fountain pens, too. They're the only pens to use when writing a lot. My hand doesn't get nearly as cramped as when using regular pens. Search through the threads; there are a few on fountain pens.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
French said:
Hi,

french

I've always wanted to use fountain pens, but they appear too expensive when I venture out to buy one!

French

Familiar Face
thanks!

sweetfrancaise said:
I've always wanted to use fountain pens, but they appear too expensive when I venture out to buy one!
If you go to http://www.isellpens.com there are some quite reasonably priced pens. Also, you can check out reviews of different pens at http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

Honestly, the majority of my pens are in the sub-$50 range, and it was a year or so before I bought a pen more expensive than $50.

Currently, the Pilot 78G sells for around $20-25 and it is a fantastic writer. I purchased one with an italic nib from http://www.hisnibs.com. For vintage, you can't go wrong with an Esterbrook or Parker "51".

French

deelovely

Practically Family
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know how much I have been enjoying the Lounge! Ya'll are the most entertaining group of people! :D I start reading a thread and I just get addicted... then have to drag myself away from the computer! lol My hubby is a Lounger and his addiction sparked my curiosity and now here I am!:eusa_clap There are so many interesting topics in the Beauty Room, it has made me really discover "vintage" fashion and I have found that I absolutely adore it!! I am ready to start trying out some of those different ways of hairstyling! I recently got my first fedora (there is a thread in "Hats" with pics, posted by Indycop earlier this week) and can't wait to start collecting more!:D
P1010086.jpg
[/IMG]

Louie

Familiar Face
Hello all,
I just joined here yesterday! My name is Louie and I live in central Massachusetts. I just happened upon this place while doing a Google search about my A-2 jacket and I think it's great!!

The things I enjoy are going to silent and early sound film festivals (Cinevent, Slapsticon, Cinefest, etc.), collecting vintage movie paper, my dogs, riding on my Vespa, and trying to unearth details on film comedian El Brendel's life.

I also make t-shirts with vintage film studio logos that I will probably be selling in the classifed section sometime in the near future.

My fedora is a deep green, vintage Stetson, size 7 3/4 that I bought while I was in high school, but I prefer to wear my newsboy hat.

Thanks for having me here!

Louie

K

kpreed

Hello All!

My name is Ken and my partner in my avatar is Patty. We live in Colorado about one hour North-West of Denver in the mountains at 9200 feet. I Came from the Sonoma Valley in California, Patty from, the coast of New Hampshire. I have Ataxia right now and in a wheelchair, but someday look-out.
I have loved anything older then me, all my life. I did have many old cars (most 1940's Plymouth's) before I moved, but only have one now, my 1961 Jeep CJ-3B. Old radio, old cars and old magazines are my thing right now.
I am very glad to find this and so happy to be here!!!
P1010010.jpg

Patty and I with my service dog "Captain Hook"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24