Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

justaktty

New in Town
New in these parts

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to the Ladies of the Lounge. I've been lurking about for over a year, and am finally making my formal introduction.

Thanks all of you for being around and being so fascinating. I hope to add when I can, and stay out of the way when I can't.

I put a bit more information on the Observation Bar introduction..like, I'm a victory gardener, and my interests focus on the WWII era. Mostly, I hang around here because you all have so much to teach.

Justaktty

Esme

One of the Regulars
Well, I thought I had better introduce myself, too.
My name is Mitzy (that's pretty 50's) and you can call me that or Esme, as I get called both, online and off!
I am going to school to be a makeup artist and nail tech, but currently work as a receptionist for a non-profit. Several of us at work dress -um - different, my boss is really a hippie, but as long as it is fairly professional (we work with the long term unemployed or kids right out of school looking for work) it doesn't seem to matter much, so I can wear all kinds of fun, vintage-y stuff.
I have done lots of costume design and such, used to be in the SCA, helped with costuming for Arsenic and Old Lace awhile back at our local Community Theatre (I was manager for awhile) and such, have done since high school back when dirt was young.
I have twin daughters who live in LA and have been in a couple of movies (one with Tony Shaloub!) as extras. They work in a call centre, but continue to do plays and movie stuff as much as possible.
I am from Oregon originally, but live in Perth, Western Australia right now with my Aussie/Brit husband. We are planning on coming to the US (maybe to stay! Yay!) in about 6 months.
Let's see, what else?
Oh, I am plus size also. About a 16/18 since I have lost about 80 lbs in the last two years, so I will watching any talk of plus sizes, etc.
I also walk with a cane most of the time, due to a bad back/right leg. I tend to carry it whether I need it or not, because sometimes my leg just quits working and I never know when that is going to happen. So as for people looking at you funny/making comments - try wearing vintage, a hat AND carrying a cane!! Most people think I am a bit loopy, but here they probably put it down to me being a Yank!! Who knows what they think in the US.
Oh, well, at least I can get Akubra hats at almost any store here for good prices!!
LOL
Looking forward to getting to know you ladies!!

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
What's up everybody? The name is Corey and I'm 23. I live in El Paso,TX and I love fedoras. Bought my first one for some high school dance and fell in love but gave it to a pretty girl that came to visit me lol. Since then I've only had one other and that's the one in my avatar but I lent that to a friend because I just couldn't take the harassment (Michael Jackson this Michael Jackson that) from my dad and brother. I've since grown a pair and could care less what anybody thinks about me wearing a hat I love. Just ordered a Gorrin Moretti to get back into the hat thing since it wasn't pricey and I dig it. Thanks for bringing hat lovers together fedoralounge.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
I know, I blew my load a little quickly with the two Stetsons...

Welcome sir. Don't worry about the Stetsons; I think they are very nice hats. I've mostly worn westerns but have branched off into fedoras and have several nice modern Stetsons. RBH is right though...there are many great factory hats here and a wealth of customs and vintage hats as well. You'll enjoy your visits.

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
hi there!

Hello...
I guess I'm making my long overdue introduction...
The name's Vivian, or Viv, either or.
Ive been a lil lurker around the lounge for maybe a year or so... always searching for something and never the chance to sit down and actually post anything or introduce myself!
So here goes...
I'm 23 and from the SF Bay area. I've always been interested in anything from the the 1920s-1950s ....and maybe a tad bit from the 80s... sorry cant help it, I'm a gemini.. and all over the place! ... but I have more of an emphasis in liking the 1940s/early 50s. There seems to be much more of a "caring" for fashion, looks, cooking, & MANNERS when it came to the "vintage" times. I kind of feel out of place in the times we live in now. =(
People just seem so careless now a days. :(

I didnt really start getting into fashion & hair myself til maybe a couple years ago. As much as I love the pure, real vintage clothing... I like to add a modernized twist to myself... be it with my crazy colored hair & tats. =) Its also a bit hard to find actual affordable vintage clothing in my today size 12/14 figure. But I make do with what I have & find!

I'm also an aspiring hair & makeup artist... I'm currently working in SF as a hairstylist's assistant, tryin to work my way up! Althought I work in a conservative, modern salon, I ADORE vintage hairstyles and try to practice them on my own, (I'll do hair on the side as well) and would love to evenutally specialize in period hair. I also do makeup on the side for aspiring models, or just anyone who wants to look cute! I love working on pinup shoots!

Well enough about me, now its time for me to say:
HELLO LADIES (& GENTS)!!!

IMG_0587.jpg

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Introduction

I'm also "New in Town". I started wearing hats mostly to keep my bald head out of the sun and a healthy passion has grown from there. I've been reading the Lounge for some time and finally decided to participate. Seems like a nice community.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hi all,

New member checking in. I love hats and the style and fashion from 1880-1960, especially the 1940-50s.

I love jazz, film noir, hunting, double gun collecting, opera, and many other things.

MagnumP1

New in Town
Introduction

Hello all, I found the Lounge about a week ago, and its really helped me out in learning more about these awesome hats. I remember seeing movies of the good old days, and thinking "why doesn't anyone wear hats anymore?" It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Outside my job, I love math (read: nerd), I play the piano, and bowling.

I look forward to getting to know everyone at the Lounge!

Greek2me

New in Town
New here and saying Hello

I am new here. I am new to posting and all the rules, so forgive me if I make a few mistakes. I am sure I will catch on in the days to come.

My name is Randy and I live in Minnesota. I bought my first fedora at Bryne Utz in Seattle. I am not retro. I am looking for hats that men wear. Fedoras remind me of a time when men marked adulthood by wearing adult men's clothing. I discovered this lounge while searching the web for information on a Tesi Comet and the straw that was used. The search engine brought up a discussion being held here. I liked the information. It was very helpful. I decided to join in the conversation & education.

Lenah

New in Town
Saying Hello....:)

Hi :) -

I've been lurking on here almost 24/7 ever since I found this site, which was only about two weeks or so ago...but I'm hooked.
I'm attracted to vintage, because the modern lifestyle to me (although we have many things which I would not like to give up:)) lacks something, that je n'est sais quois, that was there in earlier years. I feel we gained a lot, but lost a lot...
The photographs of women looking delicate and flowery just suck me in. The manners, and conventions, sometimes stifling - but looking back, they seem to have made day-to-day life and other people so much more appreciated.
I am also, for some reason, probably because I also grew up in Germany, fascinated with both World Wars. I hope I have some tidbits I might be able to contribute here, as well as learning a lot from all y'all -

So HELLLOOOO!! :wave: and I hope all of you had a great start to the New Year!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
At last.

I've been hanging around for some time now,didn't have the proper Email to be able to join.I have been dying to participate.I've been wearing fedoras for many years,even before the first Indy movie.Some of those you guys wonder who bought on Ebay.meeee.I love vintage hats,clothes,watches,guns,etc.I'll tell more about myself later if anyone is interested.
Michael

tightcollarman

New in Town
New Member - Brad

Hello everyone ... great idea as a way to introduce new members. My name is Brad, and I live in Greater Vancouver, BC, in western Canada.
I have an insatiable interest in attire from the 1890s through 1910s. In my opinion, the most elegant and handsome look in formal fashion of all the decades, albeit, not the most comfortable. My "sub-interest" is the high, stiff, detachable collars of the era - particularly the "lap front" Imperial style that completely overlaps in front, not leaving the "V" shaped gap that was also common.

My vintage wardrobe is growing, with the recent aquisition of a tailcoat, probably from the 40s. Still looking for a reasonably-priced vintage top hat, ivory silk waistcoat and tie.

I volunteer at a museum, of which an historic 1865 house is a part. The various re-enactments throughout the year gives me an opportunity to actually wear the stuff in public, which is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner