Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New/old "Barrister" fedora

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Here's an eBay gamble that paid off. The listing had two low-quality photos that didn't show very much, and the description was pretty iffy as well:

99b7_1.jpg

9a29_1.jpg

Fabulous 1950's fine quality fedora.Light brown in color with darker band.Interior is lined with cream satin with Barrister name and crest.Interior rim is brown leather with Barrister genuine fur felt, stamped in gold.Outstanding condition inside & out.Shows very little signs of wear.Size tag is missing, guessing 7 1/2.

On May-02-08 at 16:58:02 PDT, seller added the following information:

Just want to add a little more to my description: I don't have the size of the fedora but I have the circumfrence of the inside brim is 24 inches around.As far as odors,I don,t smell any odor on this item but,I can be wrong ,"this item comes from an estate"So my nose to yours, odors might not be the same.

Final price was $30.99 plus $7.50 shipping - a very good price for a vintage hat in decent condition, in size 7 1/2 - if that indeed was what I was buying...

Wesne

One of the Regulars
The hat arrived today, and not really knowing what to expect I opened the package and found what was essentially a new old stock hat from the Golden Era. Here's a shot pretty much straight out of the box. It's a little "smooshed" but otherwise in perfect condition.

barr0691.jpg

First impressions:

1) The felt is quite lightweight, and the brim is fairly stiff with a lot of "snap" to it. Feels much like the brim on my Akubra Stylemaster, and the color is just about a dead ringer for Akubra's "acorn fawn." Probably a low-cost hat in its day, but very nice by modern standards.

2) I don't think this hat has ever been worn. The liner and light brown leather sweatband are pristine.

barr0694.jpg

barr0696.jpg

barr0704.jpg

3) It really is a size 7 1/2!!

barr0698.jpg

I opened up the crown and steamed it a bit to try to get out the set-in creases. The crown measures an even 6 inches open.

barr0692.jpg

Here it is after a quick reshaping, with the aid of a little more steam:

barr0701.jpg

barr0702.jpg

A closeup of bound brim, which measures 2 1/2 inches:

barr0703.jpg

And last but not least, an homage to Douglas:

barr0721.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That is an awesome hat. Just my style and with a great name (as a law student, how could I not like that?)!

Wanna sell it? :D

Oh, and you look a lot like my younger brother except your nose appears never to have been broken!

barr0721.jpg

-Dave

Yet again, more proof that you don't have to pay through the nose for vintage hats in desirable styles and very good (or better) condition and in sizes that accommodate the somewhat larger noggins we moderns wear atop our necks.

It's a beauty, Wesne. A real sweetheart of a lid. And it's good to see that there are still stumps in Montana suitable for displaying one's hats.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
I have my own rather pristine Barrister as well, and I saw another one of identical make show up here too. Makes me wonder more about the brand. Barristers don't seem to be all that common around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24