Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes = agony!?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
After months of longing, I finally went to Nordstrom and bought a pair of 1901 Carson bucks. They felt great in the store, but having bought them and worn them around a bit I have to say that these shoes have taught me feet a new meaning for the word agony. The insoles are fine, the width is fine, but the heel collar (for lack of a better term) is just digging into my Achilles like none other. I wore them this morning while walking to Trader Joe's and by the time I got back to my apartment I was about ready to fall to the ground. Having now removed my socks, skin has been torn away.

Is this par for the course when breaking in a new pair of bucks? Are my feet just in need of toughening up after years of being cushioned? Do these shoes sound like they're defective?

I would return them, but having worn them outside it could be a challenge to get them to exchange them.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have had that problem, and I developed calluses, but I also often break the back of the shoes (by slipping into them too much) and that makes them more comfortable.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the same problem every time I buy new leather shoes. Maybe some leathers are softer but I don't think there is something wrong with the shoes per se.

Try to stretch and bend this part of the shoe. It will become softer and break in a little.

The second trick is to wear a band aid/ patch over the hurting points of your feet. My girlfriend told me to do so. (women are smarter with shoes.haha) I did it and it worked for the time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've learned to break in shoes slowly by wearing them for short increments (a few hours) on carpeted flooring at home or office for the first dozen or so wearings. This way, less damage is done to my feet during the break in period and if they don't work out they can easily be returned as the soles will show no sign of wear.

On the bright side, Nordstrom's return policy is probably the most liberal around so there's a good chance they'll take them back.

Undertow

Personally, that doesn't sound right (although I'm no shoe expert). Yes, shoes often require a bit of a breaking-in, but to be so dramatic as this doesn't make sense. It sounds like something was ill-fitting from the start and you didn't notice.

If someone doesn't provide a better alternative, I have two suggestions.

1. It never hurts to try! Bring the shoes back to the store and explain your situation. Perhaps try an older lady or gentleman (someone who possesses some confidence, and won't necessarily run to the manager). See if they could exchange the pair. Don't request a return off the bat, just an exchange. I'm sure you'd be surprised how willing a sales associate would be to at least help you out. If anything, they may give you a few tips to aleviate the problem (another reason to find an older associate).

2. You might try getting a shoe tree, not a stretcher, and put the heel of the tree a little higher to possibly stretch out the back of the shoe a little. You don't want to distort the leather, and a tree shouldn't do that - whereas a stretcher might. [huh]

HeyMoe

Practically Family
You can get moleskin at your local pharmacy. this along with some bandaids or other wound covering can be used to cover the open blister you have. The Moleskin reduces friction so that the wound can heal and will allow you to wear the shoes. I have fitted climbing boots at the US Army Mountain Warfare School and occasionally had to use the moleskin before a blister occured so that a student could wear the boots.

If you are having problems with it sticking, you can use tincture of benzoin around the wound area. Let it dry and it will be very sticky, place the wound covering and then the moleskin on that - making sure that the adhesive of the moleskin contacts the tincture of benzoin.

anotherkevin

New in Town
I grew up in the UK where that was pretty normal. New shoes needed plenty of saddle soap during breaking in, and they hurt like hell. Once they were broken in, they felt like slippers and were just as comfortable ten years later. When I first bought shoes in the US I was shocked you could "just wear them". Never seen anything like it.

hutch

Familiar Face
If you do not want to return the shoes then I second the moleskin. Just make sure you cut the size larger than the are you are covering. And bring extra moleskin with you when you go out, at least until you get the hang of using it. Not sure about shoe "break-in" for a quality shoe. Nordstrom's does have a great return policy so take advantage of it while you can. Good luck!

Viper Man

Banned
I am currently breaking in a pair of Red Wing 9014 boots (Beckman/Gentleman Travellers) and experienced the same thing. My solution was to hit that area with Lexol while massaging the leather to soften it up some. Then, I took the round handle of a wood chisel and rolled the lip of the leather flat. I also shaped the area by hand so that it wouldn't rub. It's worked out great, no more pain to my achilles. However, I'm not out of the woods just yet as now I am trying to stretch out the width of the boots. They are somewhat narrow and hurt quite a bit on one side. I guess I have one foot that is wider than the other.

EDIT: Just realized the bucks are suede. Don't use Lexol on them! You may be able to stretch/shape them away from the top of your achilles by hand or try the rolling trick I mentioned.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Ah moleskin was the word. Thats what I meant in my previous posting. I didn't know the english word for it and used the dictionary. Thank you.
A little confusing because it is the third use of the word: Moleskin fabric, moleskin(e) books and now the strips. Oh and the skin of a mole. I rarley talk about moles. Don't they have fur? :confused:[huh]

Good that anotherkevin has the same experience with leather shoes. Otherwise I would think that I always did it worng. Haha. :eusa_doh:

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I would probably take them back if you can as they seem to be a poor fit for your particular foot. If you do not take them back then definitely do the moleskin and wear them for only short periods of time. I had to do this with my Alden LHS in shell cordovan for awhile because the leather is a bit stiffer than calf, however I don't think this should be a problem with a suede shoe. So the choice is yours but if it were me I would try to take them back and see about an exchange or a refund for store credit or something.

Ah moleskin was the word. Thats what I meant in my previous posting. I didn't know the english word for it and used the dictionary. Thank you.
A little confusing because it is the third use of the word: Moleskin fabric, moleskin(e) books and now the strips. Oh and the skin of a mole. I rarley talk about moles. Don't they have fur? :confused:[huh]
"Moleskin" is a heavy cotton fabric which is woven and then sheared to create a short soft pile on one side, so named because of it's resemblance to the short silky fur of a mole. For medical use, the fabric is coated with an adhesive backing and is used to provide protection for blisters and other friction injuries.

Moleskine is a brand name for notebooks, diaries, sketchbooks, etc., manufactured by Moleskine Srl in Milan, Italy.

To my knowledge, there is no connection between moleskin and Moleskine other than their similar names.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Ouch. Hate to hear that's happening to your feet.

I also vote for taking them back, regardless of wear and explaining the situation.

If you continue to be sensitive in that place, you might change the geometry of the shoe fit by inserting cushioned insoles. That'd bring your foot up just a bit higher in the shoe and perhaps, take the friction off the 'achilles' area.

G'luck!

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
If you do return them for cash, Brooks Brothers is having a 40% off shoe sale and similar suede bucks from them are $130 I think, a little more than you spent but they may be more comfy.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I'm going to give them another day or two, just wearing them about my apartment and see if there is any improvement. I also bought some moleskin. If I don't make some progress I'll probably look to exchange them. Perhaps some nice loafers...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Someone mentioned how shoes sold in America seem to be broken in right out of the box. Ive been wearing shoes (that I can remember) since the 1960s, and for many years, I walked around in pain, and with rubbed off skin until my shoes 'broke in.' I am more than happy these days to find shoes that cause me no pain right out of the box, thank you very much. And if Im not buying top line shoes for hundreds of dollars that will last me ten to twenty years, then so be it, as well.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Buck's were the "tennis shoe" back in the day, worn as a sports shoe, and should be just about as comfortable. It appears that the cut of the "Carson" shoe last does not fit your foot. I would recommend that you return them and purchase another brand of Buck's. I would guess that the cup on the heal is cut too sharply for your foot, or your heal is slipping causing a blister. The latter might be alievated with padding. If they cannot be returned then I would try to make modifications as suggested. I own several bucks in different brands and some fit my foot like a glove and some are just so-so, guess which ones I wear the most.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
right there with you. my most common problem w/ new shoes. if they are not "dress" shoes, i typically soften the Achilles area by stepping on it repeatedly with sock feet.

i've used moleskin and even duct tape to keep new shoes from flaying me alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran