Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to me- 40's Hercules horsehide surcoat

I can't help myself...the Goodwear line is too long, and my jacket won't be made until Spring...so...
I bought this one off of eBay to hold me over for the 2013/14 season.

It isn't labeled, but I've trolled enough to know that it is a Hercules Horsehide Surcoat from the 40's (Dinerman and BK- correct me if I'm wrong). It has the Conmar chest zip, but the main zip is a replacement Talon (old though). I've been looking for a mid-length coat and this one is perfect at 27" down the back. I tend not to tuck in my shirts too often, and I wanted the coat to cover my tails. It is a bit trim when zipped, but in SoCal I plan on wearing it unzipped most of the time. If you've caught my thread on the sleeve length, then you know of my only issue with the jacket. I plan on following Butte's advice and trying to stretch the sleeves a touch. I noticed a pucker in the back along the hem, and I think it will solve itself when I get it relined eventually.
It came with what was touted as the original belt, but on closer inspection I realize this belt isn't original 'cause it has OD stitching while the jacket has brown...This started me thinking that I could easily have adjustment straps made from it as the leather is a match and I prefer the LHB look to the Belted style anyway....Gotta find that place in Studio City.
Here are the fit pics...Don't hold back! I need an honest evaluation before I put any more $$ into this jacket.

Thanks,
Handymike

Dude59

New in Town
I dont know a lot, but to me that jacket looks amazing, great fit, great patina, great pattern. I only wish I could find a nice jacket like that. Great find.

wdw

One Too Many
Looks good. To be honest, I don't think you need bother with trying to stretch the sleeves, as they're not noticeably short at all.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sleeves are genuinely fine. As the owner of an Aero LHB, and a huge fan of the style, I can only admire this jacket, HM.

Thanks guys!
It's amazing how different a jacket can "feel" when you're looking in a mirror vs seeing it in photos...
Fanch- I'm holding out for your 2 bits...

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch- I'm holding out for your 2 bits...

Yeah, Fanch is like the Man from Del Monte when it comes to sleeve length, if that advert means anything to you.

I'm a bit of a sleeve length obsessive as well, and I'm happy with anything between the very top part of the thumb (the hidden bit just below the wrist) and the higher main knuckle of the thumb. Yours sits at the high end of that and to my mind isn't worth fussing over.

Still interested in Fanch's opinion, though.

pipvh

Practically Family
Man... That thing fits like a glove. What a fantastic find. The sleeves, imho, are absolutely perfect length-wise.

cafeblitz

New in Town
I know almost nothing about vintage jackets, but that jacket looks like it was made for you. Great find! I really like that style (but a bit shorter for me), it's seriously next on my list.

pipvh

Practically Family
That's also by far the best patch pocket/handwarmer configuration I've seen. I really like the A2-style pockets.

Thanks,
Handymike

In this picture the sleeve length is good. My only concerned is with wear, would the sleeves crease up & become shorter?
I have a jacket that I used to wear for motorcycle riding that sleeves were good until they wrinkled up.
I have some fairly long gauntletted gloves so it wasn't that big of a deal.
I mainly wear it now when not riding.
For a vintage score, you've done VERY well JMHO.

Nick, I've bought and sold way too many!
Mostly because of the length. That's why I started looking at this style. IMO manufacturers should do more this length...
This particular model has great snap cargo pockets (the only thing I like on an A2) and a chest zipper...
Having both was my target....
A huge thanks to Chris at Aerial Star for helping me get my measurements figured out after years
of jackets that were way too big.

Gtdean- there is no way this jacket would work for riding...the sleeves ride up if I stretch my arms at all...
BUT, since the jacket is 60+ years old, I figure they won't shrink up any more. ;-) hopefully

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice jacket! It's a good vintage trim fit, but you have the frame to wear it. Vintage jackets always seem to have shorter sleeves and I had to let a very nice horsehide half belt go for that very reason. Yours are probably a little shorter than some would like, but I don't think they look out if place. I used to wear a dark sleeved shirt under mine and it took your eye off the sleeve length really well.

Nice find, looks very cool, enjoy!

It's not even suitable for riding - assuming you wear a jacket for protection. I've never seen a jacket that old that I'd trust my sorta new hide with.
Just go out and pose man, it looks good :eeek:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That is extremely nice looking. Is it heavy? I'm not a believer in the sleeve shrinking idea - I've had dozens of jacket and it has never happened. But if it were to happen, yours would have shrunk already given it's age and the wrinkles I see. It's fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany