Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to me Shoes- Metal Heel Tips?

quickerNu

New in Town
I am diversifying my footwear collection. I have always either worn boots (cowboy or lace up) or Tennis shoes. I had 1 pair of JC Penny wingtips for those rare occasions when I wore a suit. So pardon my ignorance, this is a new world to me.
I found these on ebay, and fell in love. I work at a Harley dealership, so I think the "overbuilt" look will fit well.
armishaw.jpg

armishaowtoe.jpg

However, we have tile floors and the shoes have metal heel tips. The sound would drive me crazy. Can they be removed? Should I remove them? Are they just to make the heels last longer, or do they serve another purpose?
armheel.jpg

Thanks for any advice you can give. BTW the brand is "Armishaw's". Can't find any info on 'em, but I dig 'em!

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Nice shoes, I think that toe is called a Norwegian something or other. About the heel caps... if you are not dancin, then I think the only reason for them is to prolong the life of the heel. I can tell you that I have been planning on putting them on the next pair of boots that I purchase.

I am interested if anyone else more knowledgeable will chime in.

wintergreen

New in Town
I have a pair of shoes with the metal heel/toes. The noise when walking doesnt bother me one bit BUT they do take some getting used to.
I am rather heavy on my heels when I walk and the metal heels can be deadly on smooth surfaces, walking off the street into an office building or a shop with a marble floor for example can result in embarassing slips if I dont remember to watch my footing.
DSCF0682.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Nice shoes.

A shoe repairer can easily fit a whole new heel piece, either rubber or leather, without the metal. Some rubber heels actually last longer than metal, or so I've found -- and I'm hard on shoe leather/rubber.

You or a repairer can remove the metal toe piece easily, but it will leave marks from the screws holding it in place.

For a fresh start, you can get the whole sole replaced, plus a new heel. Or you can get a half-sole put on. If you live in a wet area I'd advise getting a whole sole replacement, as half-soles can lead to leakage over time.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Take out the screws, drop a little woodglue in the holes and hammer in some matches or toothpicks, trim level with the sole, done.

wintergreen

New in Town
:) Try the metal tips first, They can be a challenge on smoth surfaces but if you can get used to wearing them it saves the expense of replacing perfectly good heels.
I have found leather heels to be just the same, I have several pairs of Trickers shoes and the nails in the leather heel are pretty much the same as wearing heels with steel bits on them.

quickerNu

New in Town
I made it about an hour on our tile slate floors with the metal. It echoed! My boot guy is replacing the heel cap with plastic, we'll see how it goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff