Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie Question: About a proper fit.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
I'm a little top-heavy, so I have a hard time finding things that fit me properly. If a blouse or dress fits me through the bust and shoulders, I'm swimming in fabric in the waist and hips. If something fits in the waist and hips, it's way too small/tight through the chest and shoulders. Were vitage dresses more generous up top? And how do vintage dresses stack up (no pun intended) to repro dresses today in that regard? I'd love to buy some repro stuff but am worried I won't find anything to fit.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In comes the magic of alterations :)

A dart here, a tuck there and youll be looking fantastic.

Buy repo at your bust measurements, and have it taken in. It sounds like you are not an average proportion, and frankly, who of us are?! :D The notion that any off the rack stuff is gonna fit perfect is a relatively new and the idea of alterations of something for fit has always been around.

Good luck and welcome!

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, it depends on what style/era you're going for. It may be easier for you to find something that works if you go for fuller, 50s skirts or dresses, rather than something that's fitted or more closely fitting like a 50s wiggle dress for 40s dresses.

The Dame said:
Were vitage dresses more generous up top? And how do vintage dresses stack up (no pun intended) to repro dresses today in that regard? I'd love to buy some repro stuff but am worried I won't find anything to fit.

Just look around - as a rule, I wouldn't say that vintage stuff was more generous up top, but there are items out there in a variety of sizes and proportions, and you may just have to look for awhile before you find something that works. I know gals who are heavier up top and slimmer through the waist and hips, but I guess it really comes down to what your exact proportions are.

Lady Day's suggestion is a good one - find a good seamstress!

I have the complete opposite problem!! I buy anything though, I'm so irresponsible! For me, the 50s fuller skirts are great becaise they cover my hips & the smaller sizes fit my top half. The only thing I find is that ladies seemed to be a lot taller back then & the waist can be a little too low causing the top to look larger than it actually is lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dollydaydream said:
I have the complete opposite problem!! I buy anything though, I'm so irresponsible! For me, the 50s fuller skirts are great becaise they cover my hips & the smaller sizes fit my top half. The only thing I find is that ladies seemed to be a lot taller back then & the waist can be a little too low causing the top to look larger than it actually is lol

Actually not true, women on average are taller today than the used to be. Like me, you are just short-waisted! I have the same problem and have to be careful about how long the bodice is on any dress that I buy.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
The notion that any off the rack stuff is gonna fit perfect is a relatively new and the idea of alterations of something for fit has always been around.

Whiney voice: I know it's unrealistic to think clothing off the rack is going to fit like a glove, I'm just too cheap and lazy to find someone to do alterations .... (I need a pout smiley)

*Sigh*

To tell the truth, I have been toying with the idea of finding someone to make alterations for me in part because I've lost weight over the past 16 mos. and have some favorite items I don't want to get rid of. Any pointers on what to look for in a good seamstress?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Dame said:
Whiney voice: I know it's unrealistic to think clothing off the rack is going to fit like a glove, I'm just too cheap and lazy to find someone to do alterations .... (I need a pout smiley)

You may also want to consider some of the places that will do custom orders by your measurements - like Whirling Turban. Just be prepared to pay for it :)

Snookie

Practically Family
The Dame said:
Any pointers on what to look for in a good seamstress?

Besides being competent, which honestly you won't discover until you try her out, find someone who's willing to listen to you. If you like vintage, you'll be making requests that are unusual, so you need someone who will listen and follow your instructions. If she acts like she knows better, take your business elsewhere.

Start out with a small tester project, and see how it turns out before trying something bigger/more expensive.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Know your measurements, then go to ebay and see what's out there. If nothing fits, just go to your drycleaners (if it's a simple alteration) and have her take care of the little fixes! Almost no ladies here have a vintage perfect body, be it large bust or no waist, but we get by with a few well-placed stitches.

Repro can be tougher, but as I said, know your measurements and check them against the size charts.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
I usually find a lot of stuff on ebay in my size, and i have the same problem as you.
I cant wear modern day shirts that button up because the buttons pop open :eek: Its quite annoying.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
positivelypinup said:
I usually find a lot of stuff on ebay in my size, and i have the same problem as you. I cant wear modern day shirts that button up because the buttons pop open :eek: Its quite annoying.

Don't I know it! All of my button-front shirts/blouses gape no matter what I do. Makes me nuts. I guess I'm really going to have to knuckle under and start getting stuff altered - buy according to my bust and shoulders and then get nipped and tucked at the waist so that I look like I have a figure. [huh]

Hey, Cherry! Back atcha, gal!

Yeah, the whole communication thing with a seamstress is tricky in part because I don't know all the technical sewing terms for what I want and in part because it is increasingly difficult to find a seamstress who is a native speaker of English. But I like the advice about starting with a small project to see if the seamstress and I mesh and if I like the results. Thanks!

lillielil

Familiar Face
I'm brand new here too!

I have the same problem, but compounded by the fact that I'm significantly larger than normal sizes (but not shaped like plus sized clothes, which hardly ever seem to having anything resembling a waist). I've reached the point where I am just refusing to buy any more clothes. It might take me longer, but I've started sewing my own stuff, mostly from vintage and repro patterns. I've found that as I've become more familiar with how garments are put together, I'm getting better at adjusting them to fit my body. It's a huge relief because I look absolutely ridiculous in anything off the rack.

It isn't for everyone, though, and I think finding a good tailor is key if you don't have the time and energy to devote to sewing your own.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Know your measurements, then go to ebay and see what's out there. If nothing fits, just go to your drycleaners (if it's a simple alteration) and have her take care of the little fixes! Almost no ladies here have a vintage perfect body, be it large bust or no waist, but we get by with a few well-placed stitches.

Repro can be tougher, but as I said, know your measurements and check them against the size charts.

Yup, what she said :)

Also, be HONEST about your measurements. Dont be a mental size 6 when your are really a size 8. And in most instances, size numbering wont help. Go by measurements and add a few inches for room of you because most measurements given on eBay are for the garment, not the wearer.

LD

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Dont be a mental size 6 when your are really a size 8.

lol I wish I were a size 8!!! Oh, mentally, I'm not a number any more, just a bombshell. Sadly, not every mirror I look in confirms my mental image ... especially mirrors in dressing rooms!!! shakeshead *sigh*

ShortClara

One Too Many
The Dame said:
Don't I know it! All of my button-front shirts/blouses gape no matter what I do.

You're buying too small in the bust then. Yes, I have to buy for the bust and hips (the biggest parts) and take in the waist. I learned to sew so I could hem at the bottom and take in the waist! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany